Where to find a good sales person

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Brian Dainis, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Brian Dainis

Brian Dainis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

My name is Brian Dainis (Owner of Curotec, LLC) and this is my first post here. Fergal (The administrator of this forum) has recently done some very generous things for me and it has led me to get further involved with this community rather than just using this site a great resource of information.

The reason I am posting here today is because I am looking to hire a very strong and independent sales person for my company. Managing sales is my weakest point when it comes to business and I would like some advice on how I should find this sales person, what I should look for in making a decision on who to choose and How I should provide them with the resources to be successful.

Where do successful sales organizations find their top sales people?

If it makes any difference, I'm based out of Chester County Pennsylvania just west of Philadelphia.

I am open to any suggestions anybody has and I hope to come back soon for more information.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Brian, great to meet you here, thanks a lot for joining and posting.

Do you plan on hiring a person locally who will sell via traditional methods such as cold calling and making appointments with local businesses? Or do you plan on hiring someone who will promote your business online and be paid on an affiliate / commission basis?

Some of them will hire graduates straight from college and train them for their particular needs, others will hirre more experienced people by using traditional job adverts and recruitment agencies.

You might find some helpful info and tips in this thread - How To Hire Best Employees In Small Business

3. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yo Brian. Im in PA too. good luck to your biz. im not exactly sure how to tell you that but mostly we always depend on our luck for startups to grow. Sure you can have great idea but without some luck and opportunities, the journey will be rough too

Send me a PM here if you would like to know more about me. Im a college student interested in marketing too and we can discuss more.

4. Brian Dainis

Brian Dainis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello again Fergal. Thank you for being so supportive. When I link to resources on my site, I do it because they can be beneficial to my clients. I am very happy that you noticed that I was linking to you and that you were thoughtful enough to return the favor. I plan to get more involved in this community because I believe it is a great place to ask questions to other business owners.

To answer your question in your reply to my post. I am looking for a local sales person living in the Chester County, PA area and willing to Travel around the entire Philadelphia area to set appointments and go on sales appointments. My expertise is not in the sales and my goal is to find a person who has allot of experience in that area. I am also looking for a very empathetic sales person who using a "ask questions approach" rather than a constant closer approach. I feel more comfortable doing it this way and I have found the clients are more likely to be higher quality clients when sold with this approach.

Thank you for the resource. I will look into that in more detail.

DaveB, if you are near the Chester County area and would like to be considered for a position in sales with Curotec; please fill out the form completely at www . curotec . com/jobs and upload your resume. Thank you for inquiring.

5. webmasterpath

webmasterpath
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I really hope that you find someone that satisfy your requirements Brian. Good luck!

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for your kind words Brian. I would suggest that as a first step you need to be clear as to what the deliverables of the role are, in other words what the person you hire will need to achieve. For example, you might need someone who can sell $200,000 of business for your design firm in year one.

Then outline the skills that the person would need in order to achieve that, such as ability to work on own initiative, ability to network and identify prospects, an understanding of the web design business and sales closing skills.

Taking this approach will give you a stronger understanding of the type of person you need and what you will require them to do. This will give you a much better chance of finding the right person. It will also help you to write a job advert that will appeal to potential applicants. You would then promote the job advert on your website, other recruitment websites and perhaps in local newspapers and news portals. You could also advertise the position in our Member Ads and Marketplace section.

Good luck with finding the right person.

7. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, sometimes I think the physical marketing in which you have to sell services and or products to the target people through Telemarketing or by meeting one to one. Usually small organizations hire marketing people on comission basis you can experiment it also it will take time to find the most appropriate person you need to do some experiments I guess

8. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

is this job an office job? i.e. you have to physically be at the office each day

9. Brian Dainis

Brian Dainis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you Fergal. I have hired a business coach to assist me with some of the processes involved in bringing on a sales person and giving him all of the tools they would need. What you have said is in complete agreement with the things he has had me set in place. I guess at this point it is just time for me to start looking for the right person and using what I have set up to sort through the candidates.

DaveB: It is an outside sales position in and around the Philadelphia area. The person would be required to meet with me at certain times and would be provided with cold leads and resources.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good luck with finding the right person Brian. When hiring someone it can be very helpful to put them on a limited trial period somewhere between three and twelve months. That way, if you find that you have hired someone who is not a good match for your business, it is much easier to let them go.

Please keep us updated on how it works out for you.

11. andykeating

andykeating
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hey brian..From my personal experience my suggestion is join Linked In..& then join groups related to your niche..post your requirement in those groups..you'll get a good response..

12. ava_camen

ava_camen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you can find a lot of articles especially on ezine that can give you good tips on this topic, you can also try youtube for video seminars that will somehow help you get an idea on what are the principles and guidelines in sales and marketing :)