Where should I go from here?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by jelie3110, Jan 28, 2011.

1. jelie3110

jelie3110
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everyone,
    i am in a little bit of a pickle right now. I want to leave my current job because there is just no more room for advancement there. I have been with the same employer for eleven years. I grew up in Sweden and the problem is that a lot of colleges where only offering two year degree's, so I have an AA in Business administration. I have extensive background in dental sales and have been told that I have a wonderdul, bubbly and energetic personality and that "I can sell ice to an eskimo". My question to you all is: how important is your degree if you bring experience and the right attitude?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

jelie3110 I would say that at this stage in your career, your skills and experience are much more important than having a degree. The ability to sell is a very valued skill and it is one that is most valued by employers. Have you considered the option of working as a representative for a company that sells products to dentists?

3. hetalhet

hetalhet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey jelie3110 nice to meet you here..

I am also agree with what Fergal said. As you said you are having quite a strong back ground and experience with 11 years, so it is much more powerful than degree/ Degree matters mostly at the start of career, but it is not your case..The skills and values that you have created is much more beneficial to your career.

4. jelie3110

jelie3110
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you both, makes me feel a whole lot better:) When it comes to putting together a resume, do you have any tips on how to write a resume basad on my life experiences rather than focusing on my education.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

jelie3110 you might find this article on WikiHow helpful How to Make a Resume. When writing a resume the important things are not to make it too long, highlight your strengths and achievements and focus it so that the strengths and achievements you do highlight are relevant to the position you are applying for.

6. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my personal opinion degree is something which help you to reach the desk of interview in the start of your career after that all that counts is your skill and only that can help you to continue...

7. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Rather than just writing a resume, I would try to do something memorable. Have confidence, if you can sell ice to an Eskimo, you should sure be able to sell your services to a business that needs them! I think you'd really like the book Linchpin by Seth Godin.

8. jelie3110

jelie3110
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi freelancemom,
    You are absolutely right, I will try something more nontraditional. I will check out the book too. What kind of freelance work do you do?

9. juliashing

juliashing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i have a problem i don't want to leave my job but my studies for ONLINE BUSINESS DEGREES is getting a bit too mch for me to handle... i cant understand what should i leave my studies or my job....im very depressed plz help me out

#9 juliashing, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
  10. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was also facing the same problem and discussed it with my manager he told me to take less subjects per semester I was taking 5 or 6 courses in a semester but now I do not take than more than three. It will surely extend the degree duration but it won't hurt if you are doing job

11. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm in the Search Engine Marketing field.

I perform SEO (search engine optimization), reputation management, and social media strategy. My husband works with me and handles all the PPC for our clients.

Let us know how it goes for you!