Where can I learn web design quickly?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by jelie3110, Feb 7, 2011.

1. jelie3110

uix_expand uix_collapse

Jan 27, 2011
    Hello everyone,I am in the process of wanting to start my very own Dental Marketing company. At first I was considering teAming up with someone in webdesign but the more I think about it, I think I moght just want to go to school and learn to do it myself. Where should I start, does anyone know of any great and quick programs online?
  2. Fergal

uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Designing basic brochure type websites is not that difficult and it wouldn't take too long to learn the required skills. However, to design professional websites that look great and create a good impression of the relevant business, is a skill set that takes a long time to acquire.

Professional website design is a speciality and people who have gained experience from working on that speciality full time will have a strong edge over those that work on web design part time. For that reason you might want to focus on your core marketing skills and work with a professional who can deliver professional websites. The marketing and web design skills would be very complimentary and both parties could benefit greatly from the partnership.

If you do decide that you want to learn web design you could check out the courses available at your local college. My advice would be to start with learning HTML, which is the mark up that forms the basic building block of every website on the web. There are programs, such as DreamWeaver, that allow you to create websites without knowing HTML. However, you will be much more successful if you have at least a basic understanding of the foundation that is HTML.

I've copied part of a previous post I made on this subject, below. You should find the links and resources in it of some help;

How To Set Up Your First Website with WordPress
    How To Set Up Your First Website For Beginners - Using Office Live
    What should i need to create my own website?

W3Schools is a great site if you are looking for some tutorials on website coding.

If your looking for a good book, I'd couldn't recommend "Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way Using HTML and CSS" by Ian Lloyd, highly enough. It clearly explains how to get started with HTML and teaches you proper coding habits from the outset. I've looked at a few books on HTML and this one is my favourite.​

Good luck with it and enjoy the learning process.