When You Think the Strategy is Wrong

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by anatomymodel, Feb 22, 2010.

1. anatomymodel

anatomymodel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A manager's job is to implement that strategy and to be sure to execute well. But what if you believe the strategy you've been asked to implement is flawed?

2. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not 100% that a strategy would work everytime. Sometimes, it works for certain period and halts for long period. While some doesn't work in the initial period.

I believe a correct marketing knowledge is required for any type of business. You should be very clever to look-up at market research and do reports which is worthwhile. I believe you need to be very good at doing marketing research and then implement according to it.

3. chrisdina

chrisdina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

a manager's job usually have more experience than us. Should we wait for some time to see how successful that strategy. After that, then we decide what we will do next.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I would suggest that you communicate your views to your superior in the organisation. Make sure that your reasons are well thought out and do offer alternative suggestions. Don't criticise without suggesting another way of doing things.

If the organisation decides to go ahead with a strategy you don't agree with, still support that strategy 100% and do your best to make it work. Remember that a poor strategy excellently implemented can be much more successful than an excellent strategy poorly implemented.

Good luck with it.

5. mggc

mggc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also agree with Fergal. :)

You should voice out your opinion and your suggestion to your superior. Try to start sharing your views in a respectful way. You should try to explain to him/her on why you think the strategy is not going to work out.

You must also share your own ideas, of course you need to fully study your own ideas and prove that it is going to work out. I'm sure your superior will appreciate your ideas, because in a business, you should always work as a team.

6. ASAmoto

ASAmoto
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Strategy development is a difficult, time-intensive, and often messy process. The end result is never perfect.

7. sachac

sachac
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With today's rapidly changing changing world, it is a rare business that can survive and prosper without altering its strategy. A forum was held some time ago with thirty businesses that had received funding from venture captalists, a few years earlier. Panelists were shocked to discover only 10 percent still maintaned the plan they had originally submitted and on which they received the funding. Ninety percent had switched to a Plan B, because circumstances (opportunities, threats, technologies, competitiors, trends, etc.) had changed. In our thirty year old business, we stick to our core values and mission but we constantly evaluate and re-evaluate our strategy. In today's commerical environment, this is an absolute necessity.

8. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes you need to debate, communicate and commit.

Debate = don't be scared to discuss your concerns.
    Communicate = Keep it professional and backup your concerns with facts.
    Commit = No matter what the outcome of the discussion, commit to the outcome. This is a sign of strength and your management will appreciate the attitude.

9. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can relate to this one. I've had a couple job-related stories between my superior's inefficient schemes and myself. Fortunately, the management has favored me with the ideas I presented. I think I've just got worked-out on my character and work ethics :cool:

One true lesson that I've learned : "Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy. And to lead a people, you must follow them. A good lead must also be a good follower"

Regards everyone!

-Gerry

10. Business Forms

Business Forms
    uix_expand uix_collapse

a manager's job is to implement that strategy, and to be sure that her team, unit, or department executes well… you think the strategy won't achieve the intended result, or worse, that it will put the company at risk… it's important to find ways to express your concerns productively…. by acting cautiously and thoughtfully, you can make your concerns heard while perhaps saving your team or the company time, energy, and money…

11. heatseeker

heatseeker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A Manager job is to look how to work proficiently and efficiently. His/her job is to control human resources and financial management. The job is tough and should always be there to handle company conflicts. Arrange meeting, controlling, managing, staffing and more work can be included depending on managerial skill or authority that a person has a certain company.