When will "enough" be enough for you to feel contented?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, May 4, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Think about this: "When I have done/achieved (fill in the blank here), that will be enough for me to feel contented".

What would that blank be for you? Do you have a set point in mind? Or are you one of those lucky people that can be content with whatever you have in that moment?

2. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Contented is a dangerous word. In my mind once you are contented you stop trying to make things better. Life should be one continuous improvement.

From a family perspective I am content, married with two kids.. but there will always be more required, as there will always be the next holiday, care or toy required.

From a work perspective I will never be content. I have been lucky to get a lot of support over the years and have been very successful at what I have done in the corporate world. I have pretty much gone as far as I can and sit on some industry boards. I could say I am content and stick to what I am doing, but I am not which is why I started my own company to push the boundries further forward as I know that the industry should be able to do things better and cheaper than it currently does.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed. I hope the day I stop improving in some way is the day I'm pushing up daisies.

With all due respect, I can't understand that kind of drive to keep going and going and going. My husband's the same kind of nature, or I should say was, up until a few weeks ago when we had a major health scare with him. He's now slowing down and taking it more easy than he ever has which has been hard for him because he's not good at relaxing. At first he did it only because he was under doctors orders to do so, but now he's been thinking a lot about life and how he and I have spent our time up till now. Truth be told, we've both spent far too much of it purely on work and not together, putting off vacations and so on. I guess this is what inspired this thread.

Maybe you're lucky though and are not the stressed type.

I'm more a "work to live, don't live to work" person than he is. I enjoy work and learning but I could happily settle into doing something part time and voluntary if I was retired. I don't see the point in working round the clock and being constantly aggravated and stressed if you don't get to even enjoy your life and family too. My son is 21 this weekend and it's went by in the blink of an eye. Work, no matter what field you're in, will always be there when you're not. I don't want to end my days at my desk or worrying about my Google PR, that's for sure! :)

4. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can understand your viewpoint Kay.

Maybe one day I'll slow down, but just can't see it at the moment. Starting my own company is about proving things to myself and hopefully being able to leave something behind for my kids. For me work is not work. My careers has always been in the same industry, my own company is in that industry, I lecture on the same subject and sit on industry boards. I will one day sit down and write a couple of books on the subject.. that will probably be the slow down.

5. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think for me enough is never going to be enough, i always strive for more and more growth in all areas be it professional or personal.In my profession currently i am doing decently but yes i aspire to have a faster growth and i am working towards it.

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I understand wanting to provide for your family, believe me. :) With my son all grown up, that's not the big concern that it was 10 or 15 years ago. I'm just saying enjoy the moment as you go along and don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I think we all need to find balance, rebecca. Continuous improvement is good. Working yourself into an early grave isn't. My husband's dad was only five years older than he is when the man dropped dead of a massive heart attack one morning, no warning at all. I guess it took a similar scare to make us stop and think. I want to have good memories to hold onto and I think for that we need to draw the line somewhere because there will always, always be something else you want to aim for work or careerwise. Just thinking out loud. :)