What's your worst ever customer service experience?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by MarkTaylor, Aug 30, 2012.

1. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi everyone,

It's interesting to observe how some organisations have got customer service nailed, while others seem to make a fist of it. Given that nearly 80% of our economy is in the service sector we should really be on top of it.

There's a Starbucks on Bothwell Street, Glasgow that serves high volumes of business people from 7am onwards. Not only is the product impeccable (every coffee at the perfect temperature) but every aspect of the services is perfect - it's very quick, the staff are friendly and sincere (but not too cheerful for that time of the morning)... it really gets your day off to a good start.

By contrast, I had perhaps the worst customer service experience at Euro Disney...

After a 2 1/2 hour drive, and a long queue to get in, the four of us (two parents, a 5 year old and a 2 1/2 year) old needed a refreshment. I ordered 4 hot dogs and 4 bottles of water from a stand. The server cheerlessly removed 4 pre-made, pre packaged hot dogs from a hotbox. After paying £36.00 (£6 per hot dog and £3 per water). I distributed the hot dogs... As we unwrapped them at high tables without chairs (great for kids!), we found the hot dogs were resting on top of the rolls rather than in them - as I tried to reconstruct them and insert ketchup and mustard, the powdery rolls fell apart with ketchup and mustard smearing everywhere. The result was an abomination... we were hungry and there were no immediate alternatives... we must have looked worse than the Simpsons at mealtimes! Eating under such circumstances can be a degrading and humiliating experience that can totally tarnish the whole experience... What get's me the most is that it just doesn't have to be this way!!

So, what's your worst customer service experience?

M.

2. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I mostly experience worst customer service in fast food chains. I had one time ordered a a meal which included a soup on a certain fast food chain. Their meals are good but when I was going to try their soup I saw a fly - two flies on it. Never saw it until I stirred the soup so am glad I have never tasted it yet.

I then rushed to call their waiter telling them about it. I talked to the manager but the manager seems to be not listening to me at all. That's very embarrassing - considering that the manager have no respect at all to their customers.

3. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

LOL Mark T - I suppose you can expect bad service in fast food chains... but that takes the biscuit! M.

4. even

even
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fast food chains, slow service and they give the wrong ordered food.

5. TimB

TimB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was once alone at home and starving. I called a local pizza delivering place, the time given for delivery was 30 minutes. I was all hungry waiting, got nothing even after an hour. I called him again and his answer was there was a miss understanding and the order mixed up so you will be relieving your pizza in next 30minutes which I eventually got.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Some pizza take away will give you a good discount or some freebies if their delivery is late, sounds like that wasn't offered to you Tim?

7. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, I hate that too. Although I tend to go in with low expectations! LOL.

Yeah, I guess anything to do with food hits us at a fundamental level. I ordered my breakfast 3 times over 20 minutes at a hotel this week and eventually had to leave hungry! It seems incredulous as there were only around 12 people in! This is a hotel that I have stayed at a lot and given lots of love to on social media... I guess I'll learn to forgive them, but it's that food thing again! M.