What's Your Biggest Frustration With Web Design/Development Companies? Here's Mine...

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by pan_hhh, Sep 28, 2009.

1. pan_hhh

pan_hhh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Everyone just wanted to put this post up because i just had a frustrating experience with a web design company once the created my website and i just had to vent.

My frustration was lack of communication.... I ask that something gets done and i don't get no confirmation and was kinda left in the dark until i asked about it again or until it was done.

For any of you who hired a web design company, what was your biggest frustration when dealing the web design process?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum pan_hhh and thanks for posting. As I've become more experienced I've had less frustrations with people I've contracted work to. I've learned to be more specific and clearer in my requirements and not to expect too much from the person doing the job.

In reality, most web designers have experience of dealing with lots of clients and when there is a fault, it is often (but not always) with the client, who may be dealing with a web designer for the first time. I'm not saying that this is what happened in your situation, but it is a hard lesson that I've had to learn for myself.

How were you communicating with the designer, by phone, email, IM or face to face?

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to BAF pah_hhh. Hope to see some more posts from you.

My biggest frustration on web design is not with a web design company but with an employer. :(

I recently finished my web design short course at that time. I posted a advertisement on a free ad site looking for banner design work and this man contacted me if I can design their web site. I answered yes since the I can design simple sites. He then contacted me via email and instant messaging service.

First, I asked his preferences on the site and the theme. The theme is about a construction company. After that, he asked me for a price. I then told him that my price will be on a per page basis. It's my first project after all so I didn't request much money from him. After we both agree with the price, he told me to start right away.

As told I started it right away. I spent days and days of designing his site. I finished it withing a week and gave him a screenshot of my work. But he requested that he requested that he want to see how it works. So as requested, I uploaded it to a remote site and gave a link to him. He again requested some changes and I finished it within a day.

Here comes my frustration... When I was about to collect the money, via Paypal or bank transfer, he said that I don't need to problem it and he will pay me asap. I waited for days to talk to him and he still says 'don't problem it, I'll pay you'.

Later that week, he told me that he will not pay me because of a reason that he didn't mention.

I didn't get paid for my hard work. :(

4. toast

toast
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Generally, web designers ask for a 50% upfront payment for their work. Now you know :D

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry to hear that you had that experience GekiDan. Unfortunately there are unscrupulous people out there and you need to learn how to protect yourself. Is your client using the site you designed or have they decided against it? Do you by any chance have control over your client's domain name?

Toast is correct, most designers look for an upfront fee, which is only fair. Many of them look for half upfront and half upon completion. Others will require one third up front, one third half way through the work and the final one third upon completion.

Hopefully something like this will never happen to you again.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't know it back that time. I'm just a newly graduate and just new on the field. I should've ask him for an upfront payment back then. :(

Well, I've done a couple of Google search and they still don't have a site. Only their Multiply account.
    (Thanks:))

What they just asked me is design and make their site so there's still no hosting and domain that have been acquired. For him to see, I just uploaded it to a free hosting site. I take it down after waiting for a long time for his payment. After that, I didn't receive any messages, email and instant message, from him.

The worst thing is, he's a fellow Filipino... :(

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a shame GekiDan, unfortunately there are unscrupulous people in every country of the world.

8. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I also have a really bad experience with them, they experience was like this:

When I was not knowing anything about Web Hosting Or Web Designing , etc. I gave one project of making one of my site to a Web designing company in India, the guys designed a website and started hosting it on its own cPanel where he hosted several 100 of sites in one cPanel. The site design was somewhat normal, not so good and not so bad. But when I learned some thing about web hosting and it, I asked to give him my control panel details so I can login and can create my mail accounts and use it myself. They told me that they won't be giving it to me, so I told them ok, then give me my domain name secret key so I can transfer my domain but they told NO for it also. Then i want to one consumer complaint and atlast I got my domain name back after one year. And I lost that much business of mine.

I think my problem was not that Web Designing company but it was my lack of knowledge. :)

9. toast

toast
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Take it as a learning experience. Try to sell the template to recoup (some of) your losses or plug it on your portfolio.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Unfortunately a lot of people have had similar experiences Sahil. It's always better to keep control over your own domain name. You don't want to be giving a website designer or web hosting company that kind of control over your site. If you have control over your own domain you can always get another design firm to design your site or another hosting company to host it for you. If you don't have control of the domain you can find yourself stuck with a host or design company you are not happy working with.

11. only4u

only4u
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hello.
    My biggest frustration is clients not taking my advise. My designs are not there to look pretty, I design marketing pieces to accomplish my client’s goals. Many times, clients have a set thing they want to say. Really, they need to think about what the customer wants to hear and how they can help them. Do you want to read a mission statement on a website or do you want to see if the company you are looking at offers the service you are looking for? I get frustrated when clients waste my time and their money. I want them to get something out of their marketing.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you take your clients' suggestions, opinions and preferences on board or do you stick with the design that you believe will work best?

13. karoshio

karoshio
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Although this isn't a frustration of mine, it's i guess a tip. Hiring people locally or on forums you are active at are a lot better option if you can. I always try to do my own website design work but if I'm ever stuck or need something done that i cannot do i always go the way i said above, it's always worked out great.

14. Aun

Aun
    uix_expand uix_collapse

why don't you have taken some of you charges in an advance and as for my current experience my web designers didn't uploaded even on a remote site( well i don't know what is a remote site) any way least they give a demo version of your site only with some certain conditions.

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This thread is over 2 years ago. I was just starting back then and I don't how how a web designer deal with this kind of job.

16. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This brings up an interesting point that I will have to consider when I will finally open my site up, which will be a graphics design site. I know it is important to have communication so I am going to have some feature sort of like the hosting support tickets. I hope this way I will be able to get all the communication necessary to complete the task.