What's the title for someone who provides support for all departments?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Jaymie005, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Jaymie005

Jaymie005
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been working as a call-center agent with my company for around 6 months now. In that time, I've gained several types of recognition for my success with sales. However, I applied to the company for one purpose, to ladder climb. The company caught my eye because they are expanding, which means more job opportunities available. New positions are being created from sheer need caused by the companies growth. I've already earned the trust of upper management, and I'm allowed to perform tasks that typically agents are not allowed to do. I was flat out told by my department head that he needs an assistant and that when the job is created, it's mine. I'm extremely appreciative of his trust in me and will happily take the job when it becomes available. However, what I truly want is to create a job for myself within this company.

I'm not a leader-type personality (although I can and have stepped up to the plate when needed, but it's just not something I enjoy doing). I love organization and development. I love supporting people with whatever they need help with and I don't shy away from hard work. What I truly want is free rein (or the closest thing to free rein) to be a jack-of-all trades that supports and facilitates each department within my company. I want to help department C with their new project. I want to get department B caught up on something they've fallen behind on. I want to cover a manager in department D while he's on vacation.

I don't mind carving my own path, I've pretty much done that already with the assistant position that's being created for me. I want to continue blazing my path, and this job description is something I know I can do, and something I believe the company can truly utilize. I recognize that this may takes years to develop, which is good because I need time to develop myself as well. Regardless of the time needed, I want to start working on it now. I highly doubt this job description is a wholly original concept of mine and that this job must already exist somewhere. If I can find out what it's called, I can do research on it. That research will allow me to understand exactly what I'm getting myself into, and expand upon my own thoughts so that I can create this job within my company.

2. SConsultant

SConsultant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,
    Sounds like a Knowledge Officer or Knowledge Manager, or maybe some HR related staff member working on Staff Development.
    Maybe when you list your duties (current or planned) and go to a job board to search for the key phrases you listed you'll get results (job descriptions) with exact position names.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jaymie005

Jaymie005
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks, I'll take a look into those. On my own, I think I may have found what I was looking for. Or at least a good place to start... Administrative Assistant. It's a broad range category type of job which will allow for wiggle room. A good administrative assistant can provide enough support to cover all departments, when a company is small enough. We're growing and it may not fly for long, but at least it'll give me a head start and a broad range until I can figure out exactly how I want to grow from there.

Management is having a meeting this Sunday to discuss what they need, what I can provide, and how to create the perfect fit for me and the company. I place a lot of trust in their judgement, and will accept what they feel is best for me and the company, but I don't think it will hurt to at least throw this proposal into the mix. Right now the ideas they've thrown my way are: Communications liaison (of sorts) between the departments; my department manager's assistant; and Administrator for my entire department. I think an Administrative Assistant would be a good blend that's broad enough for me to change or add to my job responsibilities as needed.

Communities thoughts?

4. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Administrative assistant can be your job title but as you stated you want to assist in management so administartiona and management are different things.