What''s the best method local business owners can follow to get shown on GoogleLocal?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Changed Creation, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I am helping a couple of local business owners and they all have this problem in common. Their websites feature somewhere irrelevant like on page nine thousand and something on a normal google search. How can I help them get their website shown on google local so that if someone searches the local area for a business, that they will at least show up? Any advise or suggestions where I can find hands on help other than employing a web guru to do it for them? What can they do themselves if they have access to their own websites? Thanks:)

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

The first step would be to create a profile on Google+Local. Even then, they will not "just show up" unless their profile is exceptional in some way, making someone who looks for their type of business say, "I need to call them now!". Then, they will need to get reviewed a few times by people who have used their services. The more positive reviews they have, and the more current those reviews are, the more likely they are to "show up" when people search for their type of business.
    I am troubled by your statement that their websites are on "page nine thousand. . . on a normal Google search". If someone finds them, and then goes to their website, it may turn off a potential client or customer. I am hoping that "page nine thousand" is an exaggeration, but it does put a spotlight on a problem they may need a web guru, or preferably an SEO professional, to help with. If they have enough knowledge, they might be able to do some of the on-page optimization themselves, but if they are essentially invisible on a Google search, perhaps an SEO professional should be considered.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Constantin

Constantin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Verify your address with Google when you edit your contact details in Google+ (they will send you a PIN or they will call you to confirm your address, whatever you prefer).
    Check your listings in local directories (Yell, Thompson Local etc.) and make sure that the displayed address is the correct one. You can also claim and administrate your business page inside these directories.
    Reviews are important, so you can ask the customers to review the businesses you promote. It is also very important to reply to bad reviews / comments as a representative of those businesses.
    Try to get a few back links from other local organisations.

• Like Like x 2
    #3 Constantin, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  4. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Before anything else, find and target local keywords. That would help a lot.

Find citation sites (directories, ads, etc. anything that can be accompanied by your company contact details) and register your clients there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris_Tax

Chris_Tax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do income taxes for locals
    First point make sure the city name and key words are in the name of the business in Manta etc directories.
    Second point there are no short cuts. SEO takes tremendous about of time
    Third point market to targeted customers base on Facebook

• Like Like x 1
  6. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks joeroxx. Going around in my neighbourhood, I see all these business's around,but from a marketing perspective I wonder how they get customers? Many don't even look attractive from the outside, so they can't really be getting so much "passer by traffic". If then they are not using internet, that means they are relying on word of mouth and pamphlets. Although it was an exaggeration, I sometimes get the impression that Local Small business's here think of a webpage as some kind of virtual business card, that they should have, but don't really know how to use.
    This means that there is marketing gap for small businesses to be educated. There still exists huge lack of knowledge on how to use the internet to promote local business and generate new business. and there is opportunity in that.

7. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good advise regards the reviews and using local directories. Your advise makes me wonder if I should't start my own local directory because the city where I live is just sooo big, and then I may be able to control scaling down the local searches...

8. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks eurekapsycrille and chris_Tax. Both good advice re local keywords, citation sites and that the city name are in the name of the business in the directory.

9. VishalBhatt123

VishalBhatt123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First Find the exact Target keyword for each website then do the local business listing in various site. So, your site appearance will increase at Google. Then do the Google Map integration and various thing that Google crawler index your all sites.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks VishalBhatt123. Would you mind going into a bit more detail of what you would do step by step exactly for the not so technically clued up business people like me?

11. X4B

X4B
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should check the local trends and to there requirement. I am sure you will be success

• Like Like x 1
  12. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Constantin. Nice practical advice!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Constantin

Constantin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're welcome. I had to do this quite a few times and I know it works. Glad I could help :).

14. VishalBhatt123

VishalBhatt123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For that purpose Can you give me your site Information. So, I analyze your site and then i said what kind of activity we do for your site'a appearance at Google and internet both.

15. Bagchi

Bagchi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

very informative. well! Mr. Changed Creation, I would like to understand that why you want to be seen on Google local only? and why not on all the local digital platforms? Thanks to the new competitive digital world where you can create a digital address without any hassle. I will suggest you to create an informative and lucrative web page for your business first. And then go ahead with Google map submission process and other digital marketing tactics. This is a practical suggestion.

16. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

The purpose of asking a question here on BAF is so that the person asking the question can obtain the bet possible answer. It is NOT so members can solicit business for themselves. A better way to put your answer would have been "Can you provide your site information so I can provide more specific assistance?". The way it is phrased right now it looks like you are trying to obtain a new client, rather than assisting Changed Creation with the question.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chris_Tax

Chris_Tax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just learned something today on SEO. I am an amateur. Use a great deal of anchor text works or Google may punish you

18. VishalBhatt123

VishalBhatt123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Gathering client information or create new client, that was not my intention. But if this look like violation of your Forum Rules, than i really sorry.....

19. sportychints

sportychints
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Frankly, Tell your customer to give you maximum positive review on your local listing page. make sure they all give you review from the different IP address...

20. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I wouldn't "tell" a customer to write a review, because they might think I'm being too pushy. Instead, I would add a line on the menu, or even on the customer's receipt, saying something like, "If you enjoyed your meal, post a review on our GoogleLocal page", along with a link to the page. If they ask, I would explain to them the type of review I would like, but, again, would not "tell" the customer what to write.