What's In A Domain?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by junglekid, Jun 29, 2009.

1. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Paraphrasing Shakespeare, what's in a domain name? If you do niche marketing, the domain name is an essential part of your SEO strategy because it will help you get better ranked for your keywords.

Here are a few guidelines when selecting a domain for a niche website:

1. If possible, do always register a .com domain. If it's not available go for a .org or .net.
    2. The main keywords for the niche should be in the domain name. If your niche is "bulldog training" use bulldogtraining.com. If it's not available, try bestbulldogtraining.com, bulldogtrainingsecrets.com, bulldogtrainingtips.com, bulldogtrainingsite.com, bulldogtrainingworld.com, etc.
    3. Try to find the shortest domain name possible with your keywords in it. If that's not possible, add the words best, secrets, tips, world. I don't like dashes but if you have to add 2+ words to get a good domain, use dashes to make a shorter domain name.
    4. Try to find and register the domain that makes most sense for your niche.
    5. Pick a name that is easy to understand. Would listeners be able to understand and spell it if you read it on the radio? If not, rework it.
    6. Some useful domain search tools:

http://www.bustaname.com/
    http://www.psychicwhois.com/
    http://www.domainsbot.com/
    http://www.eurodns.com/
    http://instantdomainsearch.com/
    http://www.godaddy.com (Godaddy's domain search/suggestion tool is excellent, but namecheap is best value for money. At namecheap you get privacy protection for free with your first domain registration and renewals for $2.88, while godaddy charges $24.99 for it.)

P.S.: The original quote from William Shakespeare (Romeo And Juliet):

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for those tips and great resources Junglekid.

I sometimes wonder about the advantages of keyword rich domains and think that perhaps domains that don't include keywords can be more brandable. Think of GoDaddy, Google, Yahoo, DMOZ, Twitter, eBay, Amazon - no keywords there - yet they have established amazingly strong and recognisable brands.

Other brands make clever use of one keyword ore even part of a keyword to create strong domains - e.g. YouTube, Wikipedia, MySpace, Flickr & Facebook.

Has anyone got examples of keyword rich domains that have been hugely successful? Ones that come to mind are SEOBook and Blogger.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This post is very useful. I should've known this before I purchased a domain for my blog.
    Thanks for the share.

BTW, what do you think of the domain name of my blog?

4. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting thread, junglekid. I was wondering though if shorter domain names actually work better than long ones ? I heard putting in a long tail keyword, can make u'r domain quite popular. am i wrong ?

5. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, I think a keyword-rich domain will help in getting better ranked in a niche, although, as with everything else, there are conflicting opinions about this. Some people say that normally a high-ranked keyword-rich domain will also have the keywords in the title tags and the body text, and that's what counts for Search Engines. To me it seems just logical that someone who's taken the time to research keywords and register a keyword-rich domain will also build a keyword-rich page.
    As for Google, Yahoo, DMOZ, let's not forget that their "branding" comes also from a strong advertising budget...

GekiDan, are you japanese? Oh my God, I've just bashed the japanese in another post.:eek:
    I like your domain name and your website looks great. The only thing I don't understand is why are you using the Blogger platform instead of WordPress? If it's because of webhosting costs, PM me for free webhosting WITHOUT ads.

simplyjo, a shorter domain name has the advantage of being easier to memorize, and of course if you buy some 3-4-letter domains cheap you're on your way to becoming a millionaire...

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's a good domain. Have you tried registering the .com and .net versions?

My personal experience and observation is that domains with keywords in them generally rank highly for those keywords. BAF ranked no.1 for the keyword Business Advice Forum, when we were much smaller than we are now.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I'm not really a Japanese in nature but I'm a fan of Japanese Entertainment.

I am using Blogger because I'm just a newbie in blogging and I have made certain researches that Wordpress are for advanced bloggers or blogging geeks while Blogger are newbie friendly.

I'm planning on that one but I don't have enough funds now to purchase a .COM and .NET domain so I just purchase a .INFO domain.

8. Flucmonious

Flucmonious
    uix_expand uix_collapse

These are very important tips. Thanks for sharing these new information with us, and hope you always will. But one thing I really don't understand. Why do people buy domains while they can just register for a free blog on google. I mean is there a difference between a domain and a blog site. I'm new here, and I want to benefit from the people in this forum.
    Thanks.

9. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

GekiDan:

Yes, Blogger is easier to use than WordPress but then WordPress has many more features. Besides this, as incredible as it may look, it's a lot easier and faster to get a WordPres blog indexed and high ranked by Google than a Blogger blog.

Flucmonious:

There are probably a thousand reasons for it but I'll mention just one: a Blogger blog is not your property, it's Google's property, so you're not really building YOUR business online, you're building Google's.
    By that, I'm not saying you can't or you shouldn't use Blogger, or any other free platform. Bum marketing was initially conceived to function using only free blogs and several well-known marketers still maintain their Blogger blogs today. I do use Blogger blogs too, although I find WordPress fascinating and learn something new about it every day.

But now imagine you develop your own domain and website to a point it's worth X thousands of dollars. That's like real estate, an asset you can make money from whenever you want by just selling it.

10. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i have few different opinion .....on domain name..

like people usually say have keyword in domain name

according to me there no problem if your not having keyword in domain name ....

the main you should know is that your website should have the best articles in it ....

forget about Google , Yahoo , Dmoz ,YouTube

look at this kind of names labnol.org , yeeeeee.com ( there are even more names which i am not able to remember at present ) etc

these are website which has around 2 to 3 million unique visitors per month they don't have keyword domain name and this website are not even great brand"s

i have see certain website ...which has keyword domain name and they don't deal with that particular keyword at all and even they have good result

Search engine cant read continuous words in URL like" ilovewordpress" ...they can only ready " i-love-wordpress "

as search engine can't read continuous word ....is there any point buy continuous keyword domain name

it is ok if you have single word keyword ...like domain name domain.com etc

having keyword domain name ...helps visitors to remember it

I accept have have .com is much better other TDL's
    register .org ,.net is also not a bad idea

keyword should be short and sweet ....as the visitors can remember it

try avoiding buying domain name's from new reseller or not so popular
    as you can face few problems so

which every domain name or domain tdl you have it does not matter .....the only thing that matter is website content any quality and back links

as i have see .co.cc domain name in first page result in search engine....

#10 realitybites.in, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Junglekid gave you a great reason. Another reason is that a blog on your own domain will be easier to remember than a blog on a sub-domain of WordPress or Blogger.

There was a time when WordPress didn't allow you to place ads such as Adsense on their blogs. Is that still the case?

You make a lot of helpful and interesting points realitybites.in. I do agree that content is the most important thing on any site. However, I wouldn't agree that it is the only important thing. Any site on the web has huge competition and a visitor who finds a site with excellent content is more likely to make a return visit to the site if it has a memorable domain name and an attractive professional design.

That was true at one time, however search engines can now split up words and recognize individual words in a continuous string within a domain name.

12. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi realitybites.in, here we go for some controversy:

When I started this thread I referred to keywords in the domain name in niche websites, I wasn't discussing domain names in general. In niche marketing, having a domain with your keywords not only matters but will also help in having the website indexed and better ranked.

You are misinformed and you shouldn't spread misinformation. As per Techniques for Tokenizing URLs, by Krishna Leela Poola and Arun Ramanujapuram, assigned to Yahoo US Patent Application 20090083266. published March 26, 2009, filed November 6, 2007:

"A search engine will look at many different signals to determine what a page on the Web is about, and attempt to rank pages based upon keywords that might be an indication of the subject matter or content of those pages.

Many of those keywords are extracted from the content of pages themselves, but a search engine can look at other information associated with pages, such as the addresses of the pages.

Keywords may also be extracted from the URLs of pages, by using an algorithm that can break the URL into components, understanding the structure of those URLs, and removing candidate keywords from the different parts found within the URL.

This breaking down of URLs into components, and even smaller parts is referred to as “tokenizing URLs.” In addition to helping a search engine find keywords in URLs, it can have an impact on the indexing of the pages of a web site."

In my classes, I used to state that the exceptions serve only to confirm the rule...

Having the keyword in a domain name is just one of several SEO ranking factors and if a webmaster wants to have his website highly ranked he must use every one of them that can help him get there.

Disagree, it certainly isn't "the only thing that matter". Here are the the positive on-page/off-page SEO Google ranking factors, confirmed by Google Patent of Aug 10, 2006:

1. Keyword in URL
    2. Keyword in Domain Name
    3. Keyword in Title Tag
    4. Keyword in H1, H2, H3
    5. Outgoing links(external) - keywords (quality links, no link farms)
    6. Outgoing links(external) - anchor text (same as above)
    7. Link stability over time
    8. Freshness of pages
    9. Freshness - amount of content change
    10. Freshness of links ( with restrictions)
    11. Site size (Google likes big sites, with restrictions)
    12. Site age

I don't mean to be an authority on SEO but I've done my home work...And I can see the results of applying these techniques on some of my websites. Want to see a proof? Google "Business Advice Forum Contest". I did it this morning and my Blog article ranked 7th, out of 1.13 million pages. Then Google "How To Win 10K". I did it this morning and the results were:
    1. My USfreeads classified ranked 1st out of 16.5 million pages
    2. My Blog article ranked 8th and its Digg bookmark 9th.

I told Fergal I was going to promote BAF and the competition...

#12 junglekid, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  13. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry, Fergal, I forgot to answer that. No, you can't place Adsense on your WordPress.com blogs but you are free to do it on self-hosted WordPress blogs.

14. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@jungelkid

it not necessary me to be correct every time

i accept you have maid some wonderful points in your post

@jungelkid and @fergal
    thank u for correcting me......
    """Search engine cant read continuous words in URL like" ilovewordpress" ...they can only ready " i-love-wordpress """
    """"You make a lot of helpful and interesting points realitybites.in. I do agree that content is the most important thing on any site. However, I wouldn't agree that it is the only important thing. Any site on the web has huge competition and a visitor who finds a site with excellent content is more likely to make a return visit to the site if it has a memorable domain name and an attractive professional design""""

website design should be good and name should be attractive also.....but not necessary to be keyword name....( getting good keyword domain name is very difficult now a day )

1. Keyword in URL
    2. Keyword in Domain Name
    3. Keyword in Title Tag
    4. Keyword in H1, H2, H3
    5. Outgoing links(external) - keywords (quality links, no link farms)
    6. Outgoing links(external) - anchor text (same as above)
    7. Link stability over time
    8. Freshness of pages
    9. Freshness - amount of content change
    10. Freshness of links ( with restrictions)

i call them as basic seo....with out them you have to struggle
    and they are must and should

but for
    11. Site size (Google likes big sites, with restrictions)
    12. Site age

site size .....matters lot... but you should have your own content
    try having unique content

site age ......there are lot of misinformation about site age

like people buying domain name which was registered few years ago

people should know.....that its site age not domain age...which matters a lot

and in site age.....if a website which was launched in 2000 and updated only till 2002 this kid of website have chances to be in first page of search result
    but if that same website was constantly updated there are very high chances to be first page

and the website which not updated from 2002 .... we can easily compete with that website ....get over result to the top of it position .....but same with constantly updated website is very difficult

Good to see your website in first page of search engine

15. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Of course not, no one is.

That's why I wrote "with restrictions". Google has dumped millions of content pages, or made them supplemental. You can have as much unique content as humanly possible, if it's not keyword-optimized it is useless, as regards the Search Engines.

From Jonathan Leger, in "Search Engine Myths Exposed": "I hear the SEO “gurus” and the “forum gods” talk about “content freshness” all the time. They claim that you have to continually add new content to your site in order to maintain your ranking in Google. This notion certainly deserves its place among the great SEO mythologies."

In-bound links count more than content freshness. You can add as much fresh content as you want to your website but you won't beat a top ranked site that has thousands of in-bound links. And more: if your website has hundreds or thousands of quality links you don't even need to update its content very often to maintain your ranking.

BTW, I haven't invented the 12 positive SEO ranking factors I've mentioned, it's on Google's Patent of Aug 2006.

Now a friendly suggestion: pls remove those annoying popups from your website, use a slide-in or peel-ad.

16. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

s jungelkid i know it irritating people
    i was using clciksor
    i was checking how clicksor work's .....
    i have removed it now

they are only fit for warze site

17. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are absolutely correct brother ....as per Google's Patent OF AUG 2006

now a day there all lot of confusion going on site age ...

like in late 2006 and starting 2007 there were lot up and downs in search engine results

like many website which were at first page and first result.....they not in first page at all
    then many stared saying they (Google) dropped site age (domain age) from its ranking algorithm.

then again after few months ( after 12 mounts) there was news saying that they have add it back to there ranking algorithm .......!

these all happen due to premium domain name reseller ...they stared saying buy old domain name ...will help u in search engine ranking .....they said it is written Google patent

as most started asking Google ..then they maid it clear ....the main thing that look at your website is for quality of your content and back links for your website

they even said that they look at historical data of your website ....to understand weather your website is high quality or low quality ...but main thing is quality of your content and back links for your website

it does not matter if your website is old or new what matters a lot is quality of your content and back links for your website

i think we have seen in recent time people saying my website Page Rank got down from 4 to 2 ....so we should understand that ...things keep changing in Google now and then

18. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think people buy old domain names a) because they can benefit from the traffic/ranking it already has; b) for reselling purposes, as there is big money in the domain flipping business. I've read stories about almost unbelievable profits from buying/selling domains. Stories of buying an old domain for, say, $200 and selling it for $20K. I wish I'd bump into something like that...:)

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Now wouldn't that be nice. Are they developing sites on the domains or just selling the domain only?

20. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Usually all they do is buy and sell domains, they don't develop sites. These are the domain flippers. Then there are the website flippers. These guys buy a domain, build a website with some original content, place ads, drive traffic to it and then sell them.