What's better for making money, static site or blog?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Clinton, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Clinton

Clinton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know it's easier to setup a blog and all, but blogs are more work, need regular posts etc.

When it comes to monetising/making money what's your preference - blog or non-blog site?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good question. I have to admit that I sometimes envy people who have static sites that are making good revenue, it seems an easier way to make money online, because you don't have to constantly update the site. Obviously it still takes work to make the site successful, but you don't need to check comments and update the site everyday.

Even though I am occasionally jealous of the content site owners, my personal preference has always been dynamic sites, especially forums and I wouldn't want to be without forums. It's a harder way to make money online but for me the work is much more interesting and challenging, plus you get to discuss topics that interest you, with people from all over the world.

3. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agree with what Fergal says.

Static sites are easier, but forums/blogs much more fun and are likely to do far better in the long term once they build up a loyal following (like BAF has). Be aware though that you have to be committed and have enough time to do it. To have a successful forum you need critical mass, and that takes dedication, good moderators and time.

4. Clinton

Clinton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your replies.

I'm interested in how your attitude is affected by the increased difficulty with selling a business that relies on your personal involvement. I appreciate your businesses may not be for sale right now but have you considered the longer term picture and do you have anything in place for transition e.g. if you ceased to exist or needed to move to new pastures?

5. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like to ditto few of think which Fergal pointed out and add few things which I found from my experience.

Static sites are good to make money if they have a good underlying business model and something sold. Without any product sale or service sold, the static site won't make money. Even with the product sales, I would have to say dynamic content would properly increase sales and keep the the customer uptodate and keep coming to the site.

In regard to the non-static sites like blogs, forums, it is surely lot of work involved. I have 2 blog sites, 2 Q&A site, 1 static site with forum attached. I have to spend atleast few hours to post a weeky blog on my blog sites but I like it as its my passion and I also feel that I am providing something useful to the people and atleast in a small way educating them. THats the part I like and also love to write and share my thoughts. If money is the only motive, it is still worth to have a non-static site and put the effort to make money in long run.

COming to your last question, it is about risk management. Yeah, not everybody is going to live long and we surely need a plan but there were moderators who volunteer and senior members who like to post in your blog are for. You can arrange for disaster plan with them which might keep the site going forever. You just handover or share the responsbilities to make the site moving forever.

6. Clinton

Clinton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are Adsense and other models where the owner sells neither products nor services and they make plenty of money. And they don't necessarily need fresh content. They'd survive very well if they had a non-search source of traffic. Even if they relied on SEs, they'd continue to prosper without fresh content if they kept getting new links all the time.

Like you, I get satisfaction from participation in forums and I have a forum where I share information with friends and learn from them. But making a business out of it is a different matter.

Risk: Senior mods and volunteers can't fill in for a property that relies on a particular personality, writing style or experience. If visitors are coming to a blog for what you say, then when you cease to be part of the site, the site quickly ceases to have any value at all. That's the problem I was hoping you'd address - the reliance of the site on not just your personal skills but your continued personal involvement.

7. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Clinton,

I have to somewhat disagree with you on adsense making money. Do you know how many people who makes thousands in adsense. They are very less percentage. I have many websites and tried adsense and never made more than $5. Adsense is also about bringing traffic to the site and if there is no free flowing traffic to your site, I don't think adsense would prove you anything.

I agree with you that moderators or replacements own do same job like you and your customers are looking for your authentic contribution. True to someextent but if you moderators or substitute can also create a name for themselves and take over when its time like any corporate company, I don't think it will be a problem. May be it will face hiccups but should continue to prosper as the new guys comes up with new ideas to entice the members.

Vijai

8. Clinton

Clinton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of the best known bloggers - you'll see his face on Chitika ads all over the place - makes the bulk of his very large income from contextual programs such as Adsense and Chitika.

9. Business Forms

Business Forms
    uix_expand uix_collapse

this thread has very good question "static site or blog?" .... you can make money with both... now a days people .. make one static site for the product or services .. example if you are selling a XYZ product then make one static website for that... and also manage one BLOG for that XYZ product ... so you can make more money with both website and blog
    ya... many ppl get money only with blog.. and static website.. its depends on the site or blog.. how it is ..