What's a good product to sell in an online store?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by jasonswett, Aug 18, 2011.

1. jasonswett

jasonswett
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm an entrepreneur and web developer. I want to gain some e-commerce experience and I imagine a good way to do that would be to set up my own online store and sell something. I'm not sure what would be the smartest product to sell, though.

Here are some ideas:
    - Buttons/pins
    - Skateboards
    - Art supplies
    - Guitar pedals
    - Chocolate
    - Free-range eggs

I'm having trouble coming up with a lot of ideas and I'm not really sure what criteria I should be using to evaluate these ideas. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

These Ideas are great,If you want to go in this business offer some goods that are portable so that if someone orders to you it is not expensive for the shipping expense,you must consider this expense.

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

The most important thing is to sell something you are interested in, and/or something you will like doing long term. Some people start a business, then when they get bored with it, they go on to something else, then they get bored with that, so they get involved with something else, then they get bored with that, ad infinitum, so that the business has no chance to grow.
    Some things can be sold in an affiliate store, such as the "chocolate", or "Buttons/pins" that you mentioned in your list. "free-range eggs" would need to be stored so they don't go bad, and of course you would need the chickens to lay them, feed, a place for the chickens to live, etc., unless you set up a supplier network. You would also need to be able to ship them in a way that would ensure they do not get broken. Any product, whether perishable or non-perishable, would still need to be stored, unless you have an agreement with a supplier that can drop-ship them for you.
    I am curious about one thing. Why "guitar pedals", rather than "guitar parts and accessories"?

• Like Like x 1
    #3 Joseph.Shivell, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  4. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

While these ideas are great, you need to ask yourself why would you stick out among the hundreds of other business owner selling these items. When you do decide on what is good for you, search out that market and make sure it's not cluttered with so many others selling the same item. Choose a niche in your market, think of a reason why people would want to buy from you as opposed to the others.

5. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want to sell products online, be prepared to sell at lower prices than retail. After all, many people go online to get better deals than what they can at a street retail store. Unless you are offering products that are hard to find at retail stores, you will have to undercut them. At the same time, better make sure that there is an online market for these products as it is possible that some products may not sell well online especially if people have to touch them and see them in person first.

6. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

its usually the women who buys product online such as bikinis and undies. i might create an ecommerce about this someday. i think it can be profitable.

7. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I did experience working with online store, which the company selling Blu-ray and DVD. A success online store require the following items:

1. Supplier, make sure you can get those product supply easily. The more supplier you have, the better you are.
    2. A good courier service is a must. Product deliver on time is very important.
    3. Stable Payment Gateway
    4. Stock check, some of the online store does not update their website regularly. Out of stock product can make client not happy.
    5. Create affiliate scheme, as selling alone is slow. Share those commission to others is the best way to increase number of sales.
    6. Ready with promotion tools, e.g. newsletter promotion, affiliate banner.

8. Peter Birganza

Peter Birganza
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    Just make a research and find that what is market demand? There are lots of things that you may sell online and can get a smart revenue. I would like to suggest you that keep low prices of your product if it is new. It will be helpful for you in generating smart revenue.

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I were a customer, I won't order from you since (1) these products are easily available in the nearby mall or supermarket, and (2) chocolate and eggs can be damaged during shipping, as in melt and cracked...

I suggest try to find a product that you are interested to and that are not, most likely, available in places like mall and supermarket.
    In addition, potable products needs to be shipped in the fastest time possible to prevent it from getting damaged due to shipping.

10. ClickWebDesign

ClickWebDesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agree with joeroxx, whatever you sell you need to have a real interest in, passion drives success!

11. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Study the market you are targeted whether the product demand is enough or not
    Besides, you gotta go for the supplier and transporter too

12. mackey

mackey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That really depends on your target market. it would be better if you could have different online store or any products or services that you need.
    For Girls, the following products are good to sell:
    - perfume
    - bags
    - dress
    - shoes/slippers

Hope this helps. :) Goodluck!

13. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Start by selling as an affiliate. Maybe signup for the Amazon affiliate program.

Now the trick is to only sell products where you can get a nice commission per sale.
    With Amazon you will start on about 5/6% and then move up in small denominations.

What i do is only market amazon products over $50.

Now, only select top sellers and make sure that the product you gonna sell has plenty of feedback and testimonials.

You need to start now for the Xmas rush, so get selecting your product and build a wordpress blog and start filling it with keyword rich content.

Once you have done well as an affiliate, look at Ebay store and maybe after setting up an ecommerce store.

Let me know if you need direct help because I run a portfolio of these kinds of sites.

best

Stephen

• Like Like x 1