What would you want to win?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by JPM, May 9, 2011.

1. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We are considering new competitions for our Tech/Consumer forum and would like to generate some serious ideas for quality prizes.

I would really appreciate if members could give ideas as to what they would consider to be a good prize (rather than cash) that is around the $50-$100 mark. Something appealing to a broad spectrum of people but also not the average gift you would generally receive, and that you wouldn't buy unless you won a competition like this.

(Hope this is in the right forum also, I think it is).

Thanks in advance,
    Jonathan

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What about Amazon Gift Cards JPM? They would be appealing to your members because they could use them to purchase technology or related books.

• Like Like x 1
  3. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, I was thinking book vouchers. I wouldn't normally go out and spend $100 on books but I would be really happy to receive something like this. It's not a very imaginative idea i know.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dripworld

dripworld
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recently won on few forums and what i got that i am unable to use them so i recommend to you provide cash.You can provide gifts etc but those who dont want then provide money

• Like Like x 1
  5. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

we have tried this in the past and it wasn't particularly successful, however - we are more active now so it is worth considering.

I agree, I think no matter what we offer I will probably offer a cash prize as an alternative also.

How would you feel about winning a subscription to Time magazine?

6. ecombiz1

ecombiz1
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

i think good prize with a certificate of participation

• Like Like x 1
  7. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cash is always the best, the winner can use it to buy whatever they like.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I'd like to win something like that. I don't read "Time" myself but understand that it mostly covers economic and political stories, would the members of your forum, who seem to be mostly into gadgets and technology be interested in those stories? I'm actually not so sure about that. Perhaps post a poll to ask what their favourite magazines / news sources are.

• Like Like x 1
  9. amir100

amir100
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Recently i received my car from my company last two years i am working in this company so i try again that i need a car then i achieved car from this company.

• Like Like x 1
  10. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me Cash is really good in prizes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SuccessMalta

SuccessMalta
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cash is always very nice to get, as well as gift card on Amazon.
    I was wondering the same thing, as I would set up a similar competition / draw for prospect customers... I think I will go for cash.
    It is simple and triggers a strong subconscious need.

The STRONGEST way to persuade someone is to let them make whatever they want, up in their own imagination. If a person think of 100 bucks, this usually automatically goes into a thought of what this person would really like to do/get for this prize, THUS cash is probably one of the best prices for a wide audience and if nothing very particular is to be achieved. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've generally used cash prizes myself, although cash has one disadvantage as a prize. When you offer a cash prize you will get people trying to win the prize, who are not really interested in the topic of your site. If your prize is directly related to your site the people who are trying to win the contest will obviously also have a genuine interest in the topic of your site.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a fair point Fergal. I will probably do something that involves cash and a prize relating to our site.

14. Rodox2

Rodox2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally I think it would be cool to win like an ipod shuffle, reasons being that it's not something most people would buy for themselves, but they are very useful like when you go to a gym or out for a jog or something and don't want to carry around a heavier form of music...and you can personalize it to the winner when you order them online. Although cash is great, I think it's a horrible gift because it won't have much meaning after you waste it. For example I have a lot of little prizes around my room and house that when people see them they ask you what all that is about and you remember when, where, how, and why you have it which turns into a great little story (sometimes)...but with cash...it will matter, what? maybe a week?...well, good luck with all that, I just thought I would put in my 2 cents

• Like Like x 2
  15. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would suggest... offer any electronic product that fits in your budget... but also say that you will engrave or print the winners name over the product and his web address if they have one. This method of personalize gift is amazing and builds curiosity among the participants.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A lot of opinions here. Maybe you should try and develop Fergal's idea of doing a poll, where you ask exactly what would they like to win, or use a little camouflage by asking what is their fav product.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like your thinking, the idea behind winning something they wouldn't win themselves, but I have gone with a cash prize for our competition this time, thanks for your feedback though.

Casey - that's a great idea. Thank you. I think I will for our next competition.

18. smartlistful

smartlistful
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cash is the best.. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It seems that way at the moment, however we will look into gadget prizes. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

20. garrygreen

garrygreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Usually used cash prizes to myself, even though money has a disadvantage as a reward. When you offer a cash prize will people who are trying to win the prize, which is not really interested in the topic of your site. If your reward is directly linked to your site, people who are trying to win the contest also clearly have a genuine interest in the topic of your site.

#20 garrygreen, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011