What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Winflo Finan, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Winflo Finan

Winflo Finan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What would you do if you were working for a small company that had no real business plan, a website that was going no where and a manager that doesn't really know what to do. Though you earn decent wages and get experience in your chosen field?

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd probably show my initiative. And let them know that i'm trying to work things out as it should. If it dont work, then i will also show my initiative to get out before the blaming :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with this variant. If it doesn't work, I will leave the company as I prefer working in a growing company that doesn't want to develop. I have goals in my life and staying on one level is not for me.

4. Preemo

Preemo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would kindly state your suggestions to them, they shouldn't take it the wrong way - and if you say you're doing it in the best interest of the company, then they should even take it as a positive. If you can make websites, maybe design a new one for them and show them it. By the sounds of it you're outgrowing the business, and you need to move on to bigger and better things. Unfortunately though, with the country in the state it's in, it's hard to find a job you like.

Good luck with whatever decision you pick, I wish you the best!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are earning a decent wage and are still learning, I would be tempted to stay. Especially if your manager is less than competent since there is a good chance he will:
    1. Quit
    2.Get fired or
    3. Need some help (which gives you the opportunity to look good and earn a promotion)

I would watch out for the following:
    1.The company goes bankrupt and you loose your last two weeks pay
    2. You are no longer learning anything new
    3. It becomes clear that there is no room for promotion or a change of job (where you could learn something new).

Best of luck

• Like Like x 1
  6. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, I will tell he manager if I have the info and know what to do,I will tell him what he gonna do so that the business will still have success.

7. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd approach the manager and try to talk some sense in him and if it turns out that he is not interested then I'd make sure to walk out whenever I get the chance because companies like that don't last too much longer and most importantly there's not much to learn other than the usual work.

8. Peter Birganza

Peter Birganza
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    I would always like to work in a company/field that is a growth field. If i will feel that my growth has been stopped in a company/organization than definitely I would like to quit that job. So, my relation with the company would be on growth rate system.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That can be an opportunity for you to start taking on some of the manager's responsibilities. Identify one of those responsibilities where you are strong and then start working on the tasks associated with that. This way you can gain the experience of doing the manager's job and that experience will help you to secure a management position in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Winflo Finan

Winflo Finan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the replies. Is appreciated. I have thought about leaving, though I return to the UK next summer, so it might juast be good to wait it out. But I agree that taking on the managers roles is a good option. Though I have a dis-advantage in that I don't have the option of spending on advertising etc

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If as you say the pay is right, then you should definitely stick around there. You have the liberty of experimenting with something that is at a dead end, without putting the company at risk, and learning from your results. Most people have to do that at the expense and risk that their own company may fall apart. If you can succeed at taking some of the issues that are preventing the company from growing, and correctly implement the right changes, then you have yourself some very useful experience to start and run your own business.

• Like Like x 2
  12. mackey

mackey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you're earning a lot and you think the company has the chance to be successful then make an action. Talk to the higher management, show up your plans and provide the positive results of it.
    I'm sure your manager will definitely look into it and will it a shot if he really cares for the company and to his people.

13. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

take the money, eat that experience up and take that mother over in the future. :D

Failing that, start a rival company and steal their market.

make sure you have enough experience before you do it though.

Good luck

Stephen

14. ellaetorres

ellaetorres
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Motivation is what gets you started, Habit is what keeps you going.

Do solid on page optimization with Google guidelines.

Thanks