What would make you use my site?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by mybusinez.com, Jan 5, 2010.

1. mybusinez.com

mybusinez.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a habit of building websites and then leaving them there even though they could be quite valuable in the right hands.

I built www.Mybusinez.com in a week and a half. There has been some activity but not much so far. I may start a marketing campaign soon but I would just like to know what kind of services people here could use for their businesses.

For instance I was thinking of building a client database so that business owners could send out e-shots to buyers on the site. I was also thinking of integrating a Business Manager System to allow clients to organize and manage their business better. I was also thinking of providing online selling for users.

Are there any other services I could provide that would make you jump at the chance to join? Market research? Targeted selling?

I'd love to hear some suggestions

Thanks.

2. shubh

shubh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is strange that you allow your labor and talent go waste. You must utilize that experience for marketing of different services and products. You may start marketing company having franchise of various brands. I wouldn’t advise you to use your talent for others, instead promote your own company.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't put your efforts into a big waste.
    You might need that sometime.

4. mybusinez.com

mybusinez.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the replys. My intention wasn't to waste my talent but to create the site in the hope that others would use it. That way I have a platform for advertising, sponsorship and other innovative marketing concepts for companies. The site needs to have plenty of visitors and users first though. Much like a social networking website.

I want to start marketing the site in newspapers and internet but I need a little seed capital to do this. I'm trying to work this out at the moment so I'll see where this can go. At least possible employers can see what type of websites I can create also and that might give them a little confidence in my work so they know I'm not just a cowboy. There are so many of them in web development these days.

Thanks again for the replies.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

mybusinez.com the best starting point for you would be to think about the types of business that would use your site and how would they benefit from your service. Ask yourself what problems are they experiencing at the minute and how could your site could help them find solutions to these problems? Also, talk to some of your existing and potential clients to get their feedback as to how they could benefit from the service.

Personally I feel that your idea has potential if you focus it on satisfying a specific need for your specific target market. I already mentioned in another thread that I found a graphic designer from my home town through your site. I'm now aware of their business and have bookmarked their site, I've even linked to their site in the other thread. This is helpful to their business and if you can help enough businesses in this way, your site can be profitable.

When thinking about your target market, think along the lines of geographic location, size of business, business sector, age of business, etc.

Good luck with it and please do post back with your feedback and thoughts.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've deleted some posts from this thread. Please keep this thread on topic. If you are not happy about a post please don't reply to it. Instead, please use the [​IMG] report post feature and the post will be dealt with by a Moderator or Admin.

Thanks for your participation and understanding.

7. mybusinez.com

mybusinez.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal,
    That's great advice. Maybe if I get my thinking cap on I can come up with some good ideas and in a few months I might be getting somewhere.

This post has given me a bit of a motivational boost. I've started by getting an introductory email together for business representative organisations which I've posted here http://www.businessadviceforum.com/showthread.php?t=6171

I want to try and perhaps get a few adverts in local papers as a start then move on from there.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm not sure that local newspaper ads would be the best way to promote your software. Most businesses make purchase decisions like that based on personal recommendations or through discussion from someone they view as an expert in the area. Direct contact with your target market could be a much more effective approach to bring you the sales you need.

You should also try networking - the aim here is that your target market begin to view you as an expert and automatically think of you when they think about CRM systems. You could consider joining your local Chamber of Commerce, your local BNI or other business network.

9. mybusinez.com

mybusinez.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was thinking I'd be able to reach a large number of people with only a few adverts with the local papers. I need jobseekers on the site also, although I haven't really thought of any revenue streams for this yet.

I've been in touch with the Chamber of commerce here and they are due to get back to me. I may approach them again. I know some chamber members in my local town so I could maybe chat to them also.

I was thinking of going around my local town, stopping into each business, explaining the site and signing users up on the spot. I'm not sure if I'd have time to do it though is the only issue, plus I'll need mobile internet which I don't have at the moment. Maybe I'll invest in mobile internet though.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Calling into local businesses sounds like a good option mybusinez.com. In addition to any sales you make you will have the benefit of getting invaluable research information and feedback from your target clients. Try to get something of benefit from every call you make, if they don't sign up ask them why and ask them about any additional features that they would like to see in the service, that might prompt them to sign up. No one should underestimate the value of having a brief chat with your potential customers.

Good luck with it!

11. mybusinez.com

mybusinez.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's true. I've done this before and I've gotten good feedback from it. I think the best thing about it is most potential clients like to see the face behind the phone call or email. I think if people feel they can trust you, they'll buy from you. If you turn up like Del Trotter with shifty eyes they'll never call you again.

I've actually got better feedback calling around clients with a jumper and jeans on than I have wearing a shirt and tie. They probably feel they can trust the casual look more than the business/ well to do look. It also helps if you have plenty of info in a hard copy. A business card, flyer, images of previous work and information that they can keep.

I remember there was a guy going around our estate advertising his window cleaning business with (albeit badly designed) A4 flyers. But I really appreciated the fact that he called to my door with the flyer, introduced himself and explained himself rather than just shoving it through the door. He didn't keep me there for ages either. Just a friendly hello. Can go a long way :)

12. mggc

mggc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are a very talented person. You really have what it takes to be successful in these field. Since you said that sometimes leave some of your sites to waste is really not so good. (I hope you don't get me wrongly). Building a website is not an easy job and even more, building traffic and making it high PR on search engines will help your site a really huge success.

Hard work and patience in the key words in making any site successful and I am very sure that all your hard work will be paid off once you earned what you deserve.

I hope that you'll be successful with building up your sites.

Your business site is also very useful. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Very interesting, people are much more comfortable dealing with people that they can relate to and feel comfortable with. It's also interesting that you picked up on this and changed your behaviour accordingly.

Related to what mggc said, maybe you need to focus on only website. Dedicate yourself to it completely and move it forward as much as you can, without the distraction of other sites and business ideas?

14. mybusinez.com

mybusinez.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Mggc. I understand what you're saying and I agree. I'm working on 5 websites at the moment. The problem is that when I commit myself to one website, someone contacts me and offers a little revenue for working on a different website. So I might be working on Mybusinez.com but then someone will contact me and ask can we do a deal on irishbandslist.com so I have to change my priorities. But then I have to change priorities again for the following week.

But I think all my sites need a lot more visitors to make decent and continued revenue. I might commit myself to doing the Marcus Frind (www.plentyoffish.com) thing by offering free services in order to get a lot of page views and make money from the advertising. This wouldn't be giving away my skills for free but offering a service for free in order to generate revenue from the page views my visitors are giving me. I've made revenue this way in the past.

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I also greatly admire PlentyOfFish. It's amazing that he runs that site from his apartment, without any employees. All the more so when you consider that it is the largest dating site on the web and that he competes with large professional companies.