What type of search engine is Ask.com?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by James12smith, Dec 21, 2013.

1. James12smith

James12smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Friends,

I would like to know more about this search engine and is it legit.Have anyone heard or was on this search engine platform what your experience was on this type of search engine.

Thanks

James

2. kevinkrieger

kevinkrieger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ask.com is a crawler-based search engines.

3. Sourcing Agent

Sourcing Agent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, it is a nice search engines.

I also use it except google, yahoo, bing...

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Ask.com was formerly known as AskJeeves.com, ans was created in 1996. The purpose of AskJeeves was to allow people to ask a question in natural language and get an answer, similar to what Google's Hummingbird algorithm now does. Unlike Google, however, their home page does not have a search box. You have to follow a link to another page which has a search box on it, and their are several sections to visit, depending on the subject of your question. They are good for research on a topic, but if you are looking for a search engine to list your business so potential customers can find you, Google, Bing, and Yahoo are probably better choices.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ask.com is something what it name means "Ask". You could ask questions of your interest. I have personally found some answers I needed from Ask.com. They are quite helpful.

6. ReviewsThatStick

ReviewsThatStick
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I used AskJeeves.com before and it was quite helpful. I wasn't that much into Google during that time and whenever I needed some answers for homework and stuff, AskJeeves.com was the first thing I go to. Now, I haven't used Ask.com for quite a long time. So to answer your question, Ask.com is more on getting answers for any questions that comes to mind. As what joeroxx said, it's not a place to list a business if that's what you are aiming for.

7. Dexterbell

Dexterbell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also wanted to get information about ask.com. Thanks BAF members for sharing your views.