What tools do you use for keyword selection?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Fergal, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I find Google Adwords' Keyword Tool very helpful when researching the best keywords for a website. It provides useful info on search volumes, an estimation of competition for the keyword and suggestions for related keywords.

What tools or applications do you use to help select the best keywords for your site?

2. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For a long time, the Google KWT was THE tool to use. However, their move to restrict the data to only terms of 'commercial value' has made the tool far less functional than it used to be (combined with 'suggest' and more recently 'instant', users slowly getting herded into smaller and more focused verticals with a severe impact on users ability to research long tail or 'non commercial' traffic). There has been a lot of talk on a few future developments for the tool (ability to export raw data, a 'non commercial' version, etc.), so hopefully it will improve going forward. Still defiantly worth using, along with the traffic estimator, but not the 'only' results you should be looking at (especially if you're researching for long tail/obscure less competitive queries).

If you're looking to do fairly extensive research (or if you want a large set to choose the tools that best meet your needs/wants)...
    google trendsand trends for websites
    google sets
    google insights
    google wonder wheel (in 'More search options' on the bottom left of a results page - hugely underused IMO)
    microsoft advertising intelligence (requires excel 2007)
    Trellian (free version very restricted, paid version very expensive for many SME's/SMB's)
    WordStream
    Clients/users (seems obvious, but often forgotten. Speaking to clients and watching how they describe what it is you do is vital to avoid getting bogged down with industry speak, jargon and buzz words)
    'Purchasing the data' (if planning for SEO/organic rankings, use of PPC to validate figures/conversion rates/etc. prior to significant investment)
    Logs/analytics data

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Paul many thanks for providing those links to such a great array of keyword tools. That's very helpful and I'll feature this thread.

I'd never heard of Google Sets before, it is a very simple tool that gives some interesting keyword suggestions. Here's the results for terms relating to "business forums".

4. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To be honest, they have so many differing tools that it's very difficult to keep track of them all. They've really stepped up the cross promotion and cross selling of products, but the free tools (or at least the ones not directly linked to a form of monetization) seem to get ignored.

I love sets and wonder wheel (both massively underused in my own opinion) both for helping people with brain storming for KWR (it's amazing how many times they can give that 'eureka' moment and a "I wouldn't have thought of that one without it"), but also when they go looking for backlinks or ideas for content generation (if trying to build a theme). For someone not that familiar with SEM, knowing which terms that google deem 'most relevant' or 'closely linked' (or at least a few 'tips' on an algorithmic level) is very handy and something I often find myself suggesting to people.

As with any 'tools', there's always the caveat, it's all about how you use them rather than 'which tool'. Having said that, it's always great to have a collection of tools to choose from and see which ones you find 'work' for you and you enjoy using most. I look forward to seeing what additional tools might get suggested, or what combinations of tools others might use.

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use adwords keyword tools and this tools are common used because it is free.
    before that i was using spyfu, it is better but you gotta pay for it

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't mean to take this off topic, but any idea why the google insights link would take me to a page in what looks like Spanish?

7. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is the link I posted above taking you directly to a non english page?

Shows up fine for me, but not sure what might cause that. I'm logged into my google account and all of my settings there would be in English, perhaps that's the difference? Can't see anything in the URL that might cause it, it's the most basic default addy that's posted so should appear based on your settings.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I checked the site and there seems to be ok on my side.
    Like Paul said, I can't see anything in the URL that might cost there problem.

9. Dayanan

Dayanan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Then once you have found a keyword you need to check the competition for that word by again using Google.

Do 3 searches for the keyword using:

"keyword"
    intitle:keyword
    inurl: keyword

Also check the PR for the top ten sites found for the keyword without quotes and how many backlinks those sites
    have.

Then you will know if you should try to rank for that keyword or not.