What to write? To: dental offices - offer: web design. Sample to show.

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by BusyBee, Sep 22, 2010.

1. BusyBee

BusyBee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi All,

Brand new here. Hope you might offer your advice.

Recently developed a nice little web site for a local dentist. I created it before sealing a deal, in order to entice the dentist into a barter with me. It remains to be seen whether he'll take up the barter.

So, I have this very lovely site up as a proto-type. I was thinking, "wouldn't it be nice to show this to other local dentists? Maybe some of them (who have no web site, or a very poor web site) could use this service."

I was thinking about how real estate agents send out post cards in a neighborhood when they list, or sell, a neighboring house. It obviously works for them, because realtors have been using that tool for decades.

Could I use something from that in my effort to show this proto-type site to other dentists? The site is viewable through my own web site currently. I could print out the design - to include with the mailing.

What should I write in this offer?

Could you help me think this through a little bit?

Thank you.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Nice idea BusyBee. Is it possible for you to get a list of dentists who don't have websites, or to remove the dentists who already have sites from your list? This would allow you to be more targeted and only send the letter to dentists who don't already have a website.

When writing your letter you would probably include the following sections / paragraphs;

• A brief outline of how the dentist could benefit from having a website
    • An explanation as to how you can provide them with a turnkey website that would significantly reduce their cost of getting online whilst giving them a quality site that they can be proud of that will actually deliver business for them
    • A brief, non-technical description of the site you would provide - images would look great here
    • A call to action, telling them how to contact you for a free consultation.

A few days after sending the letter, I would make a telephone to the dentists to discuss it further and arrange an appointment or demonstration.

Could that approach work for you?

If you write a draft of the letter please feel free to post it here and we will give you some feedback on it. We have a couple of great copywriters on the forum, who will most probably be only too happy to help.

3. BusyBee

BusyBee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your help, Fergal.

Yes, I can easily make up a list of local dentists who have no web site. The list is quite small. In fact, in my own town, there is only one dental office for me to contact (aside from my own dentist).

I'll work on what I want to say using your suggestions as a guide. I wish I could do it like those real estate agents with their post cards - they're brief and to the point. I just can't quite figure out what to refer to the sample site as. It isn't a working site. It isn't even a site that my dentist is going to use (he turned me down yesterday - he doesn't use computers, at all. Doesn't even have a computer in his office for his bookkeeper/receptionist! I suspect he doesn't even have one at home.)

#3 BusyBee, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

BusyBee it might be worth your while getting a demo site up and running. Potential clients will want to know what they are getting before they make a purchase and a demo site would be the best way to do that. The fact that it's a demo would mean that you wouldn't need to include real contact details or anything like that, just a live version of the type of site you could provide for your clients.

Why do you feel you can't do it like that?

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the demo site idea is the best, BusyBee. Welcome btw. :)

I would set up the demo, take a screenshot of the main page and design postcards around that image. You don't need to go into a lot of details on the cards. They are only meant to be a teaser really to encourage them to contact you. You can then hand deliver them or mail them.

Something simple like "Your competition has a website that looks fantastic. Do you? " and add a few bullet points on the benefits eg increase your visibility, help clients find you first, and so on. Finish with "We can help! See our demo site: (link)" and a contact number and email for a free consultation as Fergal suggested. Make sure all your contact details are also on the demo. You can use the demo site to expand on why it's a good idea to have one etc.

I find with our small local businesses a website is something they keep meaning to get around to, or they have one that was designed twenty years ago and looks horribly outdated. The screenshot targets both those groups. And a message which makes them think about what the competition's up to can spur them into action.

Vistaprint is cheap for postcards. If you want to create a mockup, I'm sure members here will help you with suggestions and feedback if you let us have a look at it. :)

I don't think you'd need a letter too. You can follow up after the postcard with an email, personal visit or phone call. Hope that helps!

6. BusyBee

BusyBee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, good question. After what Kay just said, I now feel like I can. ;)

Kay - thank you. Those are great suggestions.

Regarding the demo site - should I remove the name and contact info of my dentist? I have photos of his office exterior, and a photo of the shopping plaza directory in the site itself - those I would have to leave in because they flesh out the design.

Yesterday I realized there is a chiropractors office two doors down from my dentist - walk ten steps and you're there. The chiro put up home-made signs at the gas station. I don't think they have a web site. I'm going to add them to my target list. ;-)

Vista - good idea. I'll look at them again. I'd used Overnight Prints for some other postcards for my new business venture (just about to launch) - and they were printed perfectly. Good to have alternatives!

7. BusyBee

BusyBee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm sorry - you already answered my questions above. I didn't see this when I first read your reply. My apologies!

I'll amend my question. I'll remove the name and contact info of my dentist, but I still wonder if it is okay to leave in the photos I did of his office and the shopping plaza display signs. It became an integral part of the design.

#7 BusyBee, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You should probably ask the dentist concerned about that, before including his images. Mention it to him in a very positive manner and in a manner that expects him to say "yes". Explain to him that it's free publicity for his practice.

That's a good point about the chiropractor, there are probably lots of medical professionals who could benefit from your services.

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You could add a caption under the photos too to reinforce the free publicity part in his mind, just the practice name. If he says no, there are several free stock images sites you could source pictures from like http://www.rgbstock.com/.

That is a good idea. Even my own rural community we have several dentists, doctors, massage therapists, opticians, clinics...more than stores actually. The only thing that outnumbers them are the churches here in the South. And churches want websites too btw! My husband and I built one before for a church so don't discount them from that list, BusyBee.

Do you have a local directory? Rifle through that too.

And don't forget to look in your local paper at the ads. See who places large and medium size ads that list their business details but no website. Ideally they would be advertising every week. I'm suggesting companies that are already buying print ads because that shows they are willing to spend to bring in business. Largish print ads aren't cheap. They can then also add the URL to their print ad. That's a selling point right there.

The ones that have websites? Look at them and if they are awful, send them that postcard too. Once you've worked your way through them, do it all over again from the beginning with the smaller business ads.

What kind of area do you live in, BusyBee - town, city, rural, quiet, bustling? Just trying to get a feel for the best way to help you.

Also, is there any chance we can get a look at the site please? I'm nosy, what can I say. :D You can always PM it if you don't want to share the link publicly.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good point, I'd forgotten to mention that. There are more stock photo sites listed in the Image & Font Sources section of our Useful Online Business Resources thread.

11. BusyBee

BusyBee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow, thank you for these additional good ideas! :)

I am going to be gone most of today - but will reply by tomorrow. I'll pm a link to the site - I don't mind sharing it privately.

Thank you again. More later.

12. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're very welcome, BusyBee. :) Glad to help. I'll keep my nosy hat on until tomorrow then LOL.

Something else I thought about last night after I was away: see if you can find out about any professional associations they belong to. Their Yellow Pages ad will have a badge or something that details any affiliations. Or just look up the local branches of the groups.

When you get that, check out the association's website to see if their membership base is online. That would be a quick way to find more in the surrounding area you don't know of that are within reach but not necessarily on your doorstep. You can do that for all kinds of professions.

The American Dental Association (ADA) makes it easy for example. I just looked. They have a Find A Dentist page where you can input your address and how local you want the results to be (10 miles, 25 miles, etc). I did it within 50 miles of my zip code and even out here in the sticks there were 65 dentists listed! All with full addresses and phone numbers. (So glad to see mine was on it, phew!!)

http://www.ada.org/ada/findadentist/advancedsearch.aspx

And remember you could always throw in a discount for members of specific associations too. If you're lucky they'll spread the word to other members.

Hope that helps. This is the one for chiropractors too: the ACA. To find that I just Googled "professional association chiropractors". It appears there's state level associations too. Who knew? :)

13. BusyBee

BusyBee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Kay

Sorry for the delay. I'm a little overwhelmed with some issues right now. Haven't been able to work up my letter for this project yet.

I'll PM you the mockup I made for the chiropractor - that's as far as I've been able to get with everything that's going on. I'm making individual mockups for my local businesses - there are 4 or 5 of them.

Thank you for the additional ideas - they're all excellent.

14. Allan01

Allan01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Having a website is really good for dentists; it will help in the growth of the business. Competition has increased tremendously in the dental field. If one does not market his dental clinic using good marketing strategy, then it’s very hard to survive. Having a website is really good for the growth of the business.