What to do when not getting a reply from a potential client?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by cesquivel, Apr 9, 2013.

1. cesquivel

cesquivel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good morning everyone.

I am a freelance translator EN-SPA-EN for several types of documents in Colombia, South America. I specialize in legal, medical and pharmaceutical documents.

I worked for 4 years as a Staff Translator for this very prestigious company engaged in the business of English teaching and supplemental services but quit a couple of months ago because of a huge pay cut I was just not willing to take.

The biggest and most important client I had while working over there was a Worldwide Class Pharmaceutical Company whose Latin America HQ is here in my city (The main business is in USA) and I worked translating highly specialized documents on a daily basis for them for the last two years. They were always very pleased with my work and I actually closed the business with the Commercial Director although there never was a formal agreement in writing or anything other than a confidentiality agreement to protect their information.

When I quit, the following day I sent this Client an e-mail letting them know I was no longer part of the English teaching company I first mentioned, I thanked them for entrusting me with their translation needs during those two years, apologized for any inconvenience that would cause and offered to continue providing my service as a freelancer of course giving them better rates for their translation needs so I asked for an appointment.

The Client sent me read receipts but never replied to my e-mail. I waited two more weeks and sent them another e-mail asking for the appointment once more and letting them know I would like to find out whether they were interested in receiving my services in order to plan ahead and let's say "reserve time" to deliver the services so I wouldn't compromise most of my time with other customers.

Again, they sent me read receipts but never replied.

I figured the place where I used to work was providing this service and never attempted to contact them again. However, I ran into a friend, a former co-worker, and he told me that the company where I used to work was not receiving any work from them. I later found out that they have been attempting to restart the business with this huge client but nothing has happened yet, they have been sending mails like "Hello we've been ready to restart since a month ago but we haven't received any documents to translate from you, yet. Are you still interested?" And so far they have received no reply either.

Then I thought, well I always delivered high quality work on a timely manner, as a matter of fact I was the one who translated the documents anyway, not the company where I worked, they're not legally bound by any kind of agreement with my former employer and they are not sending work over there so I probably should send them a reminder. I did just that and sent them an e-mail (It's been a month since the second e-mail) saying I had a very interesting business proposal and would like to meet with them in order to discuss it and learn more about their needs and requirements. I once again received the read receipt but no reply.

From my experience working with them, this company has always taken a long time to reply to e-mails and especially those related to purchasing services, e.g. when we first started working 2 years ago it was about 4 months sending e-mails, meeting, calling each other, etc. before any work started.

So It's been 3 business days since my last mail and I don't know how to proceed from hereon.

I am a bit confused here:

1. If they're not interested, why don't they just send a reply saying something like "Thanks but we're not interested right now".
    2. If they're not interested, why do they go through the trouble of sending read receipts for my mails and don't just ignore them or block me in their e-mail list?
    3. If they are interested, why don't they say something?
    4. What should I do now?

I appreciate any comments and please excuse me for the length of this thread, I just wanted to provide a clear picture.

Thank you.

#1 cesquivel, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  2. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If they are not replying then I personally don't think that you should worry much about them only try to get some other clients don't waste your precious time on thinking so much, instead try to get new clients.
    Thanx

• Like Like x 1
  3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would just try to contact them once and forget them if they still don't respond. Still I might ponder why, maybe they find someone else and what made them not to chose my services. This could be a chance to improve though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It happens with many of us most of the times.
    If they are not responding after reading your mails then there could be a possibility that they do not want to do business anymore or they do not have any work as of now. So you should stop worrying so much and look for other opportunities.

If they feel the need they would contact you for sure. By the time you should focus on other areas as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brijesh Patel

Brijesh Patel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As like all you should forget it and go for another new one. Because may its possible your client is not interested to work with you and many of points are there. OR if you have any personal contact details of your client then make contact and make things clear. It's so easy. Otherwise client communication is not as though as we think.

• Like Like x 1
  6. cesquivel

cesquivel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everyone.

I really appreciate your replies. You're absolutely right. It was a great opportunity as I'm very familiar with the topic and layout of these documents and this particular client would provide me the income of at least 6 minimum wages, monthly.

So considering your advice and the fact I actually have the Buyer's phone number and have met personally with her a few times (while I worked with my former employer), I'm going to call her later and just greet her and say I'm calling to follow up on the mails I've sent so far. I guess she will let me know what the deal is. If there is nothing, so be it.

Thanks a lot guys, there really is no use wasting my energy on it any longer.