What to do... sort of confused...

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Bakalicious, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Bakalicious

Bakalicious
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I'm a graduate of BASc, Bachelor of Applied Science for those who don't know, and I'm pursuing a MEng, Master of Engineering, where both is in the Chemical Engineering department.

I have never worked before but I have done some volunteering before. Back in high school, I did many event helping. This summer, I helped out in research/experimenting with a professor. But overall, my resume is rather empty and my working experience is nil.

What should I do now? I have several options. I'm already trying to find a part time like receptionist, admin assistant, or entry level positions. But not much success, or I can go into like sales/retail and food industry which I do not like. I dislike those tryhard sales and don't exactly want to become one. Then there are those jobs where the employer provide training and education for those mortgage, mutual funds, insurance licenses and require no experience. I'm one of those idiots who get convinced into those things rather than doing the convincing. So to be honest, I don't think it suits me. But it only cost like 50-100 dollars to apply and get the license and it'll make my resume... a little longer. Its still no experience but shows more knowledge. Ughhh I'm so confused.

2. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For those who don't have a lot of employment history, it's important to showcase what you've achieved through volunteer activities. Focus on skills used for these successes. Activities from volunteer positions to demonstrate skills are important. If you can't find job opps, even part time in the fields of your choice, try to do volunteer positions in the same fields. Experience is experiences, even if you didn't get paid.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Clint if your resume is small try to focus on it by doing volunteer work. I would also suggest you apply for a job in a field that you like or would consider making it a future. Even if it means at this stage a job with minimum pay. You would rather grow in the area of expertise you plan on making a career for yourself, then to get a job that you don't plan on pursuing in the long run.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Bakalicious I would say that the first step for you is to decide what you want from your career and what type of work you would enjoy doing. Spend some time thinking about the parts of your volunteer and college work that you really enjoyed and that you feel would be an area where you'd like to have a career. Once you know what you want, you will be in a much better position to start pursuing it. I read a quote before that went something like this; "the single biggest reason most people don't get what they want is because they don't know what they want".

5. Bakalicious

Bakalicious
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'll be honest, my extra year of masters is because I don't know what to do.
    Normally, when I planned it all out, my family was financially stable and allowed me to do so. But then now a few bad decisions by my sister, we're in a tighter spot. Then I tried scrambling on what to do to help, and ended up there.

Thanks for the reminder.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for replying back Bakalicious, have you had any further thoughts in relation to what you will do next? Someone with your qualifications should have plenty of options and opportunities open to them.

7. Bakalicious

Bakalicious
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not so worried about finding a full time job/career. I'm pretty confident that I can find one after graduation (whether its local or not). Its just the part time jobs where people that qualifies are everywhere and better candidates than me are everywhere. One of the main reason why I want to find a part time job is I find that I'm just wasting a lot of time doing pretty useless things. Then I realized I don't have much to offer to employers to hire me, then I'm at a stump.

For now, I threw out that broker opportunity since I believe its simply not suited for my personality and not that useful to my future career. I'm one of those with an easily persuaded personality rather than doing the convincing and selling people stuff. Currently, I just volunteer a couple times a week for a couple hours each time. Its not very meaningful to me but at least the person I'm helping finds it useful and I have someone saying I'm a good manual labourer.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You said that you have already graduated Bakalicious, why are you seeking part time employment? Are you furthering your studies or is there another reason as to why you are not seeking full time work?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bakalicious

Bakalicious
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I graduated with a Bachelor of Applied Science but pursuing a Master of Engineering in September. I should be finished either in April or August. Depending if I want to split some course into the summer semester, which is something I need to consider as well. Cram more to finish earlier or prolong it and ensure I pass with good marks? Haven't decided yet.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If the main reason you are seeking employment is to utilise some of your spare time, perhaps you could better spend that time on your studies or researching a particular area of you course in great depth. This extra knowledge would make you a more valuable employee when you complete your Masters. Alternatively maybe you could set up a part time business in your spare time?

• Like Like x 1
  11. digital150

digital150
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are just looking for something to build up your experience and aren't bothered about it being paid, then you should do volunteer work, it will give you a sense of satisfaction and help you build up your resume.

• Like Like x 2