What time of day do you send out Facebook updates?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Kay, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was reading an interesting piece about a new study which found traffic to Facebook company channels peaks at 11am, 3pm and 8pm through the week.

Usually I'm updating my site late at night and don't think much about sending out updates at a set time. I may need to rethink that. The busiest time of all apparently is 3pm ET on a Wednesday.

Do you have a schedule yourself? I'd assumed evenings and weekends would be busier.

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Currently, I sent out updates whenever I update my blog since it's a Facebook Fan Page.
    I can't really tell what are the best times since fans only comment on updates which interests them the most.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I update our FaceBook fan page whenever I have an update to make. I've never given much thought to the best time to post those updates. Something I need to consider.

I wonder do the same times apply to Twitter.

4. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally I'd always decide on when to do it based on the target market and the 'type' of post (if it's a B2B post I'd aim for a different time than a 'fun' post). I think it's important to remember that while the obvious solution is to aim for the 'most' active users possible, the same user is looking for different things at different times so this isn't always ideal.

I'm far more likely to check out a fun/entertainment/etc post later in the evening (7pm being the peak for me) or during the weekend. I'm also more likely to check out a formal/professional post around 9am (with a small surge again around midday) (I actually monitored my own activity for a month to check this out - although there was huge variation in the results depending on what I happened to be working on in a given week).

While it's certainly a good idea to review things like peak times, it's still advisable to monitor the results and see what works best for you/your target market. Using tracking parameters in URLs (not even noticeable when using URL shorteners) is an easy and detailed way about building up information specific to your niche.

5. DamienGreen

DamienGreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If it was me, would would update at least 3 times a day, good new content will do you some good :)

6. navast2010

navast2010
    uix_expand uix_collapse

usually I do it in the afternoon/

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Glad to know I'm not the only one that updates as they go along. In fact, I don't even do it that often and that's something I need to remedy. I signed up for Ping.fm yesterday, so I'm trying. :)

Fergal, I looked to see if I could find anything on Twitter and all I can share is one marketer's post that's over a year old, so probably not that helpful but better than nothing. This is from his post:

http://www.garymccaffrey.com/blog/2...eet-for-maximum-twitter-traffic-and-exposure/

Good points there, Paul. I need to remember that timing alone isn't the be all and end all of things. How do you use tracking parameters in URLS?

Damien, have you experimented by doing that many a day yourself? I'm wondering what your followers thought, whether it was too many, too little or just about right.

8. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This Google Analytics URL builder tool does a great job of explaining it (and helping build them), far better than I could manage. If you use an analytics package other than GA, always good to check their specific advice on tracking.

There are various other ways to monitor the results (e.g. most of the URL shorteners provide a certain amount of data by default), I just like to have it all available in the default traffic monitoring system that a site uses so that everything is available quickly in the one spot.

9. MartinMc

MartinMc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook now is use to promote products and website and it is now known as the best marketing tools. And most of big business create their own Facebook page in order to get more customers and visitors.