What the Internal Structure of a blog

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by williamgrey, Jul 12, 2010.

1. williamgrey

williamgrey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my WordPress blog, I manipulated the HTML code because of which I have tabs that work as external/internal links or sub-domains for partner sites. There is no classic menu bar available. However, now I can’t even see the usual 'About us' and 'Contact Us' page on the main screen. But, strangely, the URL of those pages is still working. I can’t see the buttons directing to the internal pages. I think when I customized the menu bar, this practice prevented Google from indexing the site. All these problems are really making me frustrated. How am I supposed to handle this element?

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Basically, all blogging platforms have different internal structure.
    And basically, messing up with the inside codes of your site without even making a back-up is the worst thing to do.

Have you kept a back-up of your theme/template? If yes, you can upload it again so that these menu bars will go back to where they belong.

3. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The first thing which experience coders say is "Backup Before Starting". That is because when you start messing up with all the codes, then you will surely face some problems and if you forgot what you did last then everything will be gone.

Did you took backup? Can we see your site?

• Like Like x 1
  4. girdharkumar

girdharkumar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi

this is a nice post for about blog it is very helpful for wbemaster

5. dollartycoon

dollartycoon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It really hard to say where it went wrong. Each theme for wordpress utilizes wordpress' hook system in different ways. We're not even diving into custom functions in the functions.php file. I recommend using a starter theme framework that's close to what you want and then customizing the css files instead of directly customizing the .php files.

If you do decide to still hack into the core temple code, make sure you backup your files... just in case. I always do. Use a program like filezilla to download files before you edit them via the "editor" tab in WP admin.

Good Luck.

6. kathyclark

kathyclark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Touch the codes only when you know what you're doing.....else....have a sub-folder where you test design developments....don't make changes to a live website....if there is lot of content on it.

7. dollartycoon

dollartycoon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, work with child themes of the base framework. Very important when the theme developer updates the theme. You'll keep your child theme away from update nightmares.