What specific "traits" do a person needs to have to become an entrepreneur?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by amwarner, May 26, 2013.

1. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A fellow entrepreneur and I were talking about what skills and traits you need to have to become an entrepreneur. We came up with some interesting ones we agreed on and others that we didn't. Just wanted to see what your own thoughts would be on that question.

2. JenniferLawrence

JenniferLawrence
    uix_expand uix_collapse

According to me there are 15 Entrepreneur Traits You Need To Succeed

1. Common Sense
    2. Knowledge of your field
    3. Confidence.
    4. Ability to get things done.
    5. Creativity.
    6. Leadership qualities.
    7. Self-reliance.
    8. Ambition, Drive, and Motivation
    9. Patience
    10. Positive Attitude
    11. Resilience
    12. Confidence
    13. Self-Discipline
    14. Curiosity
    15. Problem Solver

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I heard a successful entrepreneur talk about the importance of courage to be successful in owning your own business. I'd agree with him as starting your own business is a step into the unknown and you can't know for certain, if it will be successful or not. Courage is also required to take the tough decisions that will inevitably be required in any business.

Lance Armstrong has had a lot of negative publicity in recent times but I really enjoyed his books. In one of them he talks about the importance of focus, he says that successful people can be different in lots of different ways, but one thing all successful people have in common is incredible focus. The successful entrepreneurs I've know personally, all had that focus and I believe that it is a necessary trait for success in any field.

• Like Like x 1
  4. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well said.

5. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Traits of an Entreprenuer

It would be great if you could add what you came up with and you can add these to that list.

1. Passion
    The most important trait would be passion. Without it you cannot achieve anything or reach your goal. Being an entrepreneur one would face many challenges but having the passion to reach your goal would ultimately take you there.

2. Planning
    Besides that one need to be a good planner. You must be able to plan all the activities well in advance to be able to execute it successfully.

3. Confident
    One of most desired qualities is Confidence. You may good at things but if you cannot make your point and are not confident about your business than you would not get good support.

4. Creative
    Creativity is essential. If you are doing the same thing that everyone is doing then you do not stand out. You have to be creative in whatever you do (be it product or service) and distinguish yourself from the herd.

5. Ethical
    Lastly, a good entrepreneur should be ethical in his business. Using wrong means would not get you anywhere and eventually affect you and your business. Hence you must have good work ethics and be ethical in your business.

• Like Like x 1
  6. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I met one business man here in the Philippines. He came from a poor family and now one of the most recognized entrepreneur in the Philippines.

There's one thing that sinked into my mind from what he said - "Decide for your future"

That meant everything to me.

If you decided to become successful, you will take all the risks
    If you decided to be a good entrepreneur, it's your decision that will prevail
    If you want to get kicked in the a**, it would be your decision also.

All follows if you strongly decided for the success of your future.

At the end of the game, after hearing all inspirational quotes, messages, or whatsoever that uplifts your spirit, it's still your decision that will prevail if you want to step up your game or not.

It all comes down to decision making.

7. thealchemist

thealchemist
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

let's not forget forethought (aka the ability to see the desired end result) and persistence.

8. SidRhyes

SidRhyes
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For being an entrepreneur one must have good command over particular field, one should keep an eye on current market strategies, market values, markets up-trends, one should be capable of managing things, calm, not judgmental, but able to think logically and ability to facing highs and lows and overcome them.

9. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A few of the things that my entrepreneur friend and I came up with were, in no specific order:

1. Ambition.

Whatever your end goal is, you must have ambition to carry you through the occasional disappointments, losses and setbacks that eventually come to every single entrepreneur.

2. Self-Confidence.

A strong will in yourself and your product is needed so that you communicate to others. The world has many success stories of entrepreneurs, inventors, etc. who were mocked or faced opposition because they were ahead of their time. They had the self confidence to stand true for what they believed in.

3. Consistency.

The ability to be consistent, I believe, is key. You need to be able to bring it to your customers. That's more services ... more products ... more anything. I believe successful entrepreneurs are always trying to find what else to add to make their business better.

Not all of the stuff we talked about but some of the most important thing we discussed.

However, there are no right or wrong answers. There are alot of traits that successful entrepreneurs possess.

• Like Like x 1
  10. samvilla

samvilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Though a variety of entrepreneurial points have been already covered, some are still left out.
    Yes, I completely agree that "nobody's perfect, and no one has all the qualities" and "one thing all successful people have in common is incredible focus"
    This list is good for answering the question and has been highly appreciate.

Just an hour ago, I came across a "real" success story about an entrepreneur. "He is The Neil Patel" in discussion with another thread "Neil Patel, The internet Marketing Guru: Info graphic: Link to Info graphic: http://www.fatbit.com/fab/the-neil-patel-mopping-to-millions/
    His story is nothing less than inspirational. On going through the infographic again, I discovered that it covers most of the points mentioned here. Have a look and learn about Neil’s life, struggles, achievements and phenomenal rise as a web entrepreneur with a pinch of humor. One thing I discovered is that successful entrepreneurs never give up their aspirations because of failure and keep on striving to reach the goal.

11. jenna

jenna
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with you.nice man..

12. iggypop

iggypop
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the most important quality that they must have is that of a risk-taker, being an entrepreneur is always a gamble and most of the ones who succeed are calculated risk takers.

13. Andhara Angels

Andhara Angels
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Love this kind of stories. I really adore Neil Patel. He is one of the inspiring Internet Entrepreneur.

14. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

An entrepreneur must have the following traits:
    1. The courage to take and handle the risks.

2.Positivity towards every step taken by him.

3.Confidence on his moves and ideas.

4.Leadership qualities : to be with everyone and to take everyone with him.

and last but not the least

5.Have faith on yourself that you can do it and you can get it.

15. J.Rod

J.Rod
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, strong will is the number one. Skills and knowledge can be acquired but if you're not really that much into it, no matter how skilled you are as an entrepreneur, you'll end up nowhere.

• Like Like x 1
  16. adsystem

adsystem
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes I agree with you,all 5 points are good to become a successful entrepreneur.

17. crater

crater
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The most important thing for an entrepreneur is to be self driven. Ability to dedicate to work without someone else looking over his shoulder. There is also self confidence, time management skills and positive attitude.