What should we look for in a Web Designer?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Full Spectrum, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We are thinking about getting a web designer to help us with the visual aspects of our website. Technically we have all the know-how one could possibly need, but when it comes to the aesthetic side of things we don't have much experience.

Does anyone have any tips on what to look for in a web designer? I'd like to learn from other people's experiences (good and bad) before diving in.

Thanks for your time

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good question Gen, I know from personal experience, the frustration of hiring someone who is not very professional to design a website. Price is an important factor when choosing a designer and no one wants to pay over the odds. However, the cheapest option is generally best avoided and normally costs more in the long run. It's worth paying that little bit more for a designer who will listen to your requirements and has the expertise and experience to build a site that delivers on those requirements.

There was a previous discussion here on BAF on on how to hire a good PR firm for your business. You might find it helpful to look through it, as many of the points also apply to hiring a web designer - PR companies - how to select one for your business?

When deciding on a web designer it is very helpful to look at their portfolio of previous web design projects. this is the first thing I do when considering a designer and it can tell you a lot about the quality of the work they do and give you a strong indication as to whether their individual style is a good match with your own requirements.

Next step is to speak to the designer and form a view as to whether they have a good understanding of your requirements and they are the kind of people you would enjoy working with.

Do you plan on hiring a local firm or hire someone over the Internet?

Please have a look through the PR link above and then post back with any further questions or ideas you have.

3. CBI Web

CBI Web
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    BAF Tech Admin
    Premium Member

Something I feel is important to mention, that isn't usually taken into serious consideration by folks who hire web designers: make sure the person or company you hire works strictly with web design standards. There are many pro and con arguments on both sides of that fence, but really, design standards exist so that a website can get the maximum exposure and usability by the most people possible. This includes rendering correctly in any browser, on any platform (PC, Mac, mobile, etc.), and usable by physically or sight/hearing challenged users. AND... search engine friendly. You may already know these things, but as a web designer myself for nearly 12 years, I've seen too many times when these issues are lower on the priority list than they should be. :)

4. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would like to say that check the themes which are available by the wordpress, jumla etc

5. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would add that they have some basic understanding of SEO and keep that in mind while making any changes to your website.

6. mackey

mackey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Gen,

Outsourcing is a business that trust is the first requirement. Business won't grow if you haven't trusted the company that you're working with. This business has it pros and cons, you just need to find the right company, ask for samples and client references so you can decide. There are lots of outsourcing providers who pretend to be the best, that's why you need to be careful and look for the reputable ones.

I suggest to hire a Staff leasing company instead of a freelancer. I recommend going to firms with a proven track record of dependability and proficiency in offering business consultancy and leased office staffing & management services. Leased staff are permanent workers of a company and are easy to reach in case you need them. Freelancers do not have employers so they do as they please and sometimes cannot be contacted for various reasons. Employing freelancers gives you the benefit of the doubt, meaning you cannot be sure if their qualifications are truthful and if they are truly capable of the tasks you want them to accomplish.

If you have some questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

7. ComJan

ComJan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Look for a company that is goal oriented and that sets specific goals to be achieved.

Do not choose a company because they have "nice looking sites"

A nice looking site is often times just an ego thing for the owner. You can have a nice looking site that performs but often an ugly site ie. Craigslist, DrudgeReport, Ebay, Amazon will beat the competition

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with you that some hugely successful sites are not the most beautiful to look at. However, when it comes to choosing a web designer, my opinion of them would be largely based on the quality of their own website, if I didn't like it I'd find it difficult to trust them to design a quality site for me.

9. lucille21

lucille21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

we should look for a credible website.

in addition, we should look for a fast loading website.

10. habeebraja

habeebraja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think for any designer the important thing to be notice is that his quality of work.what all the new thing he can crate,Presence of mind,extraordinary thinking power.

11. atuljain7

atuljain7
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is strange that nobody in this thread mentioned about the understanding of the web designer from an Information Architecture perspective. Please understand that no matter how beautiful your site design is, but if the IA goes wrong, then your site will not pick up.

Something what people should learn from Google is how they make the users surf their websites. Unlike Microsoft.

I would suggest you get your IA done by an expert first, and then think about a design element.

12. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There may be one or two things that your designer/developer cannot do, but for the most part you should be able to find a reasonably-priced professional who can handle just about everything. If there is something that the designer needs with help, be clear before you hire him that it is his responsibility to hire a sub-contractor to fill in the gaps for him. This should be included in his work that he's responsible for, and spelled out beforehand when discussing prices with him.