What Should I Tell this Potential Client?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Anonadd, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Anonadd

uix_expand uix_collapse

Aug 20, 2012

I'm having a phone call tomorrow with a potential client, who can only pay me on commission. I need to tell her my thoughts about working for her, and I'm also not sure how to end the conversation.

I'm not even sure any professional in my line of work (Public Relations) would accept commission. There's no gurantee with PR. Also, I'm a start up, and if other work comes along, I won't be able to give her priority. This would pose a problem for her, because the work she needs from me is time-sensitive. In other words, if I say I'm going to help her, and I don't fulfill my promise, this could hurt her efforts.

There's another issue involving money.

In order for me to do the work she needs me to do, I would have to purchase a program license worth $3K-$5K. There may be alternative means to obtain what I need, but I haven't investigated them yet (probably should have). I'm comfortable with the program, which is why I'm stuck on using that.

She and her existing partner would see me as a partner, another member of the team. She's an executive coach, and he's a graphic designer. I would be the one to get their message out to the public.

I don't want to have to back out on her. She's a nice person, and I would be connected to two people, who could give me solid recommendations. They know a lot of people, which is one reason why I'm entertaining working with them so much.

I need to know how to spin this so that I come off like I'm kind and interested in them, while also looking out for my own interests. I can't work on commission, but I might be willing to do it because of her. Also, what do I say to keep things positive?