What should I sell? and Shopping Cart question

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by AverageJoe, Jan 25, 2010.

1. AverageJoe

AverageJoe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What should I sell?
    I want to start an online business selling products that people need but I don't want to go into a field that's too competitive or is already dominated by someone else. I need something easy or if there isn't anything easy, at least not something that would be like walking into a battlefield.

Shopping Cart question
    How difficult is it to set a shopping cart? Would it be best to just pay someone to do it professionally? Also, what can you tell me about third party gateways?

2. HJ-Andrew

HJ-Andrew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are lots of free open source shopping cart solutions. They are relatively easy to install, but at times can be frustrating for a novice to customize and get going. I would suggest to look into OsCommerce.
    Payment gateways are crucial if you want to accept credit cards online and make money. You can use stuff like Paypal or Google checkout, but you really want to get a real deal gateway like Authorize.net or some similar option that will allow you to accept the cards right on your website.

If you need any assistance or have any questions contact our support team.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

AverageJoe are there any types of products that you have a good knowledge of or that particularly interest you? Perhaps something related to an interest, a hobby, previous work experience, your education or even just products you use yourself. You have a better chance of success, if you have some kind of interest in the products you are selling.

Rather than setting up a store from scratch, would you consider promoting affiliate products. Affiliate marketing is where you promote another businesses products or services and receive a commission every time you make a sale. It's an easier business to start with because the business who's products you are selling, looks after the product, customer service, shipping and payment processing.

If you decide that you want to sell the products yourself, you might consider selling on eBay or using Yahoo Merchant Services, rather than setting up your own store.

Please post back with your thoughts and we will give you more suggestions and ideas.

4. AverageJoe

AverageJoe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmmm... I guess I like trading card games and board games but that's probably too niche.

I was thinking about doing something like that. Do you have any links to sites that do that?

With the Yahoo Merchant Services thing, what exactly does it help you with and what things do you handle yourself?

5. Chinahailin

Chinahailin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

watch or T-shire Special designed

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I don't feel that would be too niche at all, my local toy store has a huge section for board games, as do many other stores and catalogues.

Have a look at http://www.cj.com/, http://www.amazon.com/ and http://shareasale.com/.

Please post back with your thoughts and I will try to offer you further suggestions.

7. Alexishost

Alexishost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The solution for your situation can be done in some simple steps below:
    1. Write what you know that can solve people problem
    2. convert what you write into e-book.
    3. make simple website for selling it.
    3. install oscommerce to take your order ( usually it is free with your business hosting packages)
    4. Add aff link with e-bank
    5. run promotion to recruit affiliate
    6. your affiliate work for you and you start collect the profit.

enjoy :)