What should i include in my Resume?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by 50Cent, Oct 3, 2010.

1. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

2. Mountain Man

Mountain Man
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I tend to be old fashion. I prefer to the following in this order:Name and contact info, Work experience (starting with newest), formal education, Part time and casual education (Weekend courses, online learning), volunteer experience, references.
    I also like to customize my resume, so if I was applying to drive taxi, my years working as a telephone repair man would highlight my safe driving, finding addresses and dealing with people in a professional way.
    Good luck, and remember the job of a good resume is NOT to get you the job. The job of a good resume is to get you an interview.

3. Rubs

Rubs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

4. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks, i will check it out.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What I can suggests is make your resume as short as possible.
    Employers just glance on them for a couple of seconds so put only important things in there, and do not exceed to a single page.
    Here's a cool site that could teach you everything regarding resume writing: http://www.nhlink.net/employme/how.htm

6. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cool and thanks guys!

Just now i written my resume already, but i click the wrong button and the whole resume is deleted. Argh!

7. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I put a resume of my skills at the top of my CV.
    Describing in 3 or 4 points what i can do. Simple, fast and efficient way i think, i don't get difficults to be employ.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To prevent this, write one first on a word processor and just copy and paste it on your site after.
    Be sure to regularly save your stuffs to prevent you from doing all of these all over again.
    You can also create a hard copy back-up of your resume. This way, you will always have a resume available to you anytime.

9. norajohnes

norajohnes
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Think about THESE TWO facts first:

1. Hiring you, they sign up to great regular expenses:
    - your salary
    - taxes
    - expenses, related to your work = your share of internet, electricity, rent, salary of others helping you to do the job = secretaries, sys. admins, etc.

2. They cannot easily fire you.
    Even if they can literally through you out of the doors when the boss stopped liking you, the problem is - they lost, because they invested in you, spend time and money on you, have grown you up, and now they have to start from zero level. Normal companies not just "pay money", they grow personnel as a key money-making instrument.

So.
    Reading your paper, HR-managers should see profitability of YOU = their instrument.
    And your characteristics should be:
    - income expenses should be exceed expenses on you = you are profitable
    - you should be durable, reliable = you are profitable in a long-term run

That's it.
    What you write and in what order is indifferent, as far as you clearly show them your profitability. Usually it comes to showing them examples of your work: "i've done that project and that brought my company XXX billion dollars", "I possess that knowledge, and because of that I lowered my company's expenses by XXX billion dollars".

Good luck!

#9 norajohnes, Oct 10, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  10. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The format will also depend on the job. Some technical aspects of a CV may not be required, or may not be a main section of the resume, whereas other times, those sections may be important. The main parts I have used were details (name, address etc.), education, work experience, personal hobbies and community involvement. Some formats of CV's can be found here: http://jobsearch.about.com/od/cvsamples/a/blsamplecv.htm

11. syed2011

syed2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The preparation of the CV and cover letter is often if not always,adjust it according to the company and the position where we are certainly aiming for the next step of the interview and where there are no more rules is another matter.

Long back i used these Cv samples and till date working with good organisation.

12. Komputergeek

Komputergeek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Now a days there is new concept arrive called "Visual Resume". You can get examples of this type of resumes on very famous blog called digital inspiration here http://www.labnol.org/internet/visual-resume/13327/

This is something new and really attractive resume..

13. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great advice! I do that with just about everything that's beyond a paragraph long now, write it in Notepad first. And it's always a good idea to keep a hard copy, if only to remember exactly what it says and be able to refresh your memory before the interview. They'll have a copy in front of them. You won't.

That's a lesson everybody learns, 50Cent. With anything lengthy, even just copy it to your clipboard just in case their site crashes or something. I still get caught out occasionally with that and I've been online about a decade. If it's a form you have to fill in on their site where you can't just copy it so easily, take screenshots once it's all filled in before you hit Submit. Makes it much easier to fill it in all over again if need be when you have them to refer to.

If you have a copy and want a second opinion on it anytime, just send me it. When you're old like me you've created resumes a few times. :D

14. frankingmachine

frankingmachine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A resume is like a newspaper classified site section. Remember, you are selling your skills that is why you must include all your skill sets on your resume'. A good format and a very organized or detailed information about yourself is also important when writing your resume'. Always include your cover letter as this serves as a summary of your resume'. Just a tip, in case your potential employer is not comfortable sorting out tons of resume', he or she will just read your cover letter to save time!;)

15. habeebraja

habeebraja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What I will suggest you is that write only that thing which you know.Don't write any unnecessary things which you don't no.It should be in format like at top your name and id,phone number etc.Don't give much importance to your name.Then write about yr qualification,If experienced then they can mention their experienced.
    you can mention your project details in the resume,That is a important part in a resume.Then write about your family details,after that signature.

16. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never put reference on my resume because it will just took more spaces on my pages. I just put reference "available upon request", most of the time reference are not really questionable or not really required nowadays. They are after with your skills, educations, working experience and qualification. So don't put anything that is not needed to lessen the spaces on your resume pages ;)

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with you firstchoicecar, prospective employers don't normally check references until they are quite sure that they want to employ a candidate. There is no need to include reference details on your CV or to give them to a potential employer, until they are getting to a stage where they are considering making you a job offer.

18. syed2011

syed2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A prefect CV is one that has the correct layout, clearly presents all necessary information, easy to read and is created by keeping in mind the requirements of the company and the job advertisement or job specification offered.

Have a glance on Some Best cv examples i found.

#18 syed2011, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010