What should I expect in college?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Chrisj0401, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know it may be different depending on the programs/major I go for... but I'm assuming most -or some- people here went to college in business Administration. So what should I expect in classes in college, generally speaking of course, or share whatever tips seems necessary that will help me out.. I could use any tips for college, as I'm the type of person who likes and needs to prepare as much as possible for big things like going to college...

My goal in college is to get a B.S. Degree in Business Administration (major) and (minor) in Entrepreneurship. I'm going to go to Community College first then transfer to a University to finish my Degree. Most of my community college classes are in my town (10min drive), and the main campus is like 30min away for like labs or whatever, and the University will be about 40-45min of driving distance.

My goal is to aim for perfection, so I am aiming to do as best as I can in college. Meaning I'd like to go for my honors in community college than get good scholarships for the University. I also aim to continue to being an honor student... But hopefully I won’t struggle as I did most of my life in school, this is my first time going to college and first time going to a full blown school environment since I was 17 (when I dropped out of High School). I am in a Adult Learning Training Program, that prepares students for GED or College Education. I got my GED back in June this year I've been going to this program since August. Hopefully I'll be ready for college and start off on the right foot by being placed into 101 classes (and not lower). I also hope this comes easier than it did during the time I was younger and nothing came in easily.. I've been one of the top students in the current program I am in, and I'm very motivated. Teachers (also professors) of the program told me I should do fine in college, and told me I am very motivated in their view.

I've forgotten most of my math skills (besides the basics that I use every day, like multiplication, adding, subtracting, dividing, percentages) I'll be taught math from the program in a few weeks as we just finished Communications & Writing.

One of my most real weaknesses I know of is English Writing. Everything else like reading I've been doing much better since I got more interested into politics, and Math I had a history of doing very well as long as I keep using it day to day. Math I go no problems, just need a refreshers course and I should be back on my feet, as I also do learn fast with Math normally. My reading speed is kind of under college student levels, which is I think 450 WPM. I've scored, on an online test, 150wpm (which was months back before I really got into reading for pleasure, now I dont know I will test again asap and post it). Which is bad according to this chart .. I've been reading a lot of news as that’s what gets me the most interest. I normally read about 25-30 hours a week. But in the past month I've taken a break from reading since I've done 25-30 hours a week for 4months already straight. My eyes and brain got tired of reading, no matter how interesting it was.

#1 Chrisj0401, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Chris you will have a great time in college. The fact that you are older will give you a lot of advantages. Older students often do better in college because they tend to be more disciplined, focused and dedicated to their studies. Stop looking at this negatively. Instead, think of all the advantages you have in terms of experience, life skills, knowledge and the awareness you've gained from reading all that news.

Going to college is a brilliant opportunity and there are millions and millions of people all round the world that would love to swap places with you. Make the most of it and don't forget to enjoy it as well. You will meet a lot of great people and the young carefree environment of a college setting is not something that you can easily find elsewhere.

From what I've seen of your posts here on BAF your English writing skills are great. You've nothing to worry about there. After all you will be studying business, not English literature. As for that reading speed chart you linked to, it's posted on a website that generates it's revenue from promoting software and other tools to improve your reading speed. It's in their interest to convince you that you need to read faster.

Stop looking at the negative. Take a pen and paper and write down all the reasons you can think of as to why you will do well in college, force yourself to do this even if you don't feel like it. You'll feel better in the end.

You'll excel in college if you work hard, apply yourself, don't take it too seriously and enjoy the experience. Good luck with it and please keep us posted on your thoughts.

3. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thank you for the advice... I know I shouldn't think too hard on the negative, but I do that when I get into new experiences that I'm clueless about like college. That's why I'm preparing myself to be as refreshed and ready for college for I wont struggle. I hate having to struggle, which I have my whole life in schools. I want the knowledge and studying come a bit easier than it did before. Especially when I'm being a full time worker and student, it will be very difficult to have lee-way to enjoy it... It will be hard.

I'll enjoy learning I know that... But as for socializing and parting -which I'd love to do- I wont be able to do since I have a full time job & student schedule. Also my goal is to aim for a 3.5 minimum GPA. If it comes a bit easier than I expect, I should have a bit more free time do have some fun outside of school. As of right now I'm expecting it to be very difficult to even stay at a 3.0 GPA, and even more difficult to get a 3.5+ GPA.

I dont want to take it too serious, but as how much I need a college education, I tend to feel I need to focus very seriously. Or else I'll just fall off the bang-waggon -struggle-.

#3 Chrisj0401, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Look forward, not backwards. Your experience of school doesn't have to be repeated in college. You will be much more motivated and disciplined now, than you were in school. Lots of kids go to school because they have to. You are going to college because you want to, that in itself makes a world of difference. The fact that you have real world experience, maturity and discipline should put you well ahead of many of your student colleagues.

You are right to take college seriously, because it is such a wonderful opportunity for you. Just try not to worry so much about it and focus on the positives, not the negatives. But don't take it too seriously either, life goes on. Enjoy it.

You've also got BAF to support and help you with any issues that may arise for you. I wish you the very best of luck with it and once again please do keep us updated as to how it is working out for you.

5. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree.. thank you Fergal for the help.

6. shubh

shubh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want to get the skinny on a college, you need to talk to one or more of the people who attend the school. They can give you the type of information that you'll never find in a college brochure. You can't choose a college without knowing what type of programs they offer. One of the easiest ways to get this info is through the school's website. A good college guide can help you choose a college by offering detailed school profiles. You'll learn about the programs offered, tuition costs, campus culture, and much more. College guides that I recommend include: Complete Book of Colleges, America's Best Value Colleges, and Best 361 Colleges

7. unleashed

unleashed
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I think Fergal said it all in his posts. I feel the same. Chris, don't be afraid of college. Schools are a different thing and your college is another thing. Do not mix them up. Forget your past and look forward to the future. Gather courage and have a blast at your college!

8. solidus37

solidus37
    uix_expand uix_collapse

getting a good job after college is cool like being in border patrol which offers a little bit but they are in demand right now. Anyway ther is nothing wrong with being educated. it sjust that you need to be understand the other side ot the story

9. madringo

madringo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

See being a mature student as an advantage when it comes to assignments. You'll have more experience in real world situations, you'll be more focused and you'll actually want to succeed at college. Many of my class mates in college don't even want to be there :eek:

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Unfortunately that is all too common, especially when the economy is poor. There are people attending college who would prefer get a job, but employment opportunities are very limited at present. A college place is a great privilege and there are millions of people all over the world who would love the opportunity to further their education, but unfortunately can't due to their economic circumstances.

11. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

College is an exciting part of my life and for sure on your part too! There'll be a lot of opportunities that will start from there. A lot of expectations too.

12. kittelsoncarpo

kittelsoncarpo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can expect anything in your college. Well, expect for the best although not all times, you will having a good time. Older students always give me tips on how to deal with something if this happen, something like that. Some are really easy to approach and they are willing to help you so that your expectations will be meet.

13. anatomymodel

anatomymodel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you are very diligent and determined. I believe your efforts will definitely lead to a rich campus experience.

14. kristenspring

kristenspring
    uix_expand uix_collapse

College is a new challenge in our school life. This time we should be more responsible in the things that we will be assigned to do if you really hope to be successful. If your going study college then focus yourself to it but don't pressure yourself too much.

15. harrystone00

harrystone00
    uix_expand uix_collapse

College life is fun its more or less like high school just in a more adult atmosphere, as long as you pay attention, take very good notes you will be alright. it’s not as scary as what they say in high school I don’t know about you but when I was in high school my teachers made it seem like college was in another planet, but it’s not it’s here and its lots of fun and there is always some activities going on,

16. jimfromtexas

jimfromtexas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If your an older student like I am, the professors have a greater respect for you.

17. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm from a far away town so i go to the main city to go college and i feel free since my parents tend not to visit me. :D expect to see some guys that spends their college years drinking and smoking pots like me :D

18. enriqbell

enriqbell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

College is a place where one gest to knwo him self as a perosn, its not a mear place of education but they also develop their personality and also they grow form boy to man, and they get to know what they want to be in future, and college life is teh life where they get to decide what they want to do in their future and the life ahead.

19. rian47242

rian47242
    uix_expand uix_collapse

College is a unknown zone and challenge after our school life. This time we have to be more responsible in the things that we will be assigned to do if you really wants to be successful. If your going study college then focus yourself to it but don't pressure yourself too much.

#19 rian47242, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
  20. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You will have a great time in college. I went through university, I don't know how college is but university was great. Do not think negative unless determining factors. Always think positive of yourself or you will come to a deadly situation. Stay calm and have fun.