What price happiness? $75K a year says Princeton

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Time.com Article

So making millions annually won't make you any happier than the guy you're paying $75K a year. Would you still want the millions if it didn't?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's good to read that 85% of Americans feel happy every day, that figure is higher than I had expected. I've always believed that money did not bring happiness, this belief largely came from my time travelling in Asia where the poorest people appeared to be the happiest and most joyful I had ever met.

That line makes a lot of sense to me, although I don't believe money makes you happy, life is easier when you have a certain level of disposable income and you don't have to fret about every bill that comes in.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exactly! I was thinking along those lines too but couldn't get it from my brain to my fingertips in a coherent sentence. :)

I've known some rich people that are downright miserable all the time and others that barely have two nickels to rub together who are a pleasure to be around. I'd choose the poorer happy people every time to be in my company.

4. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the real happiness lies in finding a job you would love to do and enjoy all your life. Money is indeed important and every body has got different perceptions on how much is enough.

5. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a frequently discussed issue with lots of cliches.

Suffice to say in my opinion.

1. Money doesn't guarantee happiness, but it does make life more comfortable.

2. Most rich people who are unhappy are so because:

- Lack of fulfilment caused by no challenges they have to deal with, "poorer" people are too busy dealing with problems often to be sitting down feeling empty.

- The superficial people (not all rich people are like that of course) some of them mix with, thus the jealousy, insincerity, disputes etc.

However I'd prefer to be wealthy than struggle with money any day.

6. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah Jahan right. its important to work hard, do well and earn well in life.

7. iimibrohim

iimibrohim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I remember what Bertrand Russel said: people will have more chance to be happy if they are rich, good and simple.

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think I've ever met anyone that filled all three criteria. By simple, I assume he didn't mean that in a derogatory fashion, as in simple-minded? It's hard to tell when you're not reading something in context.

9. iimibrohim

iimibrohim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ah, I made bad choice of word, perhaps. Poor English, sorry. What I meant with 'simple' is: able to have a joy easily in his daily life, has no complicated and difficult think about how to enjoy his life. Anyway, I'd better to say it is not exactly what Russel wrote, it is a kind of my version of the resume of one of his book, the conquest of happiness, or the way I remember of the book.