What makes you happy as an employee?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Diane Lane, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of the most important things in business success is having happy employees who care about the company. If your employees are not happy, they can sabotage your success, so it's in your best interests as a business owner to treat them right.

At one point in my life, I held two jobs, one full time, and one part time. The full time job brought in more money, but my co-workers and I were not treated well, and it was a mentally debilitating experience. At the same time, I worked some evenings, and Saturdays at the part-time job, and felt very valued and appreciated, so I didn't mind getting up early or working late, and slogging through the snow or rain, across the city, to work the part-time job. What made me feel appreciated was that the employer showed respect, and also wanted to develop my skills, so that I could move up within her company.

What are some ways that you've been treated well by employers? If we can list some specific examples here, it might help those who are looking to motivate their employees, and give them some ideas they can use to improve their businesses.

• Like Like x 1
    #1 Diane Lane, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@Diane Lane, I agree that a successful business has happy employees. Our company is one of the biggest corporations here but we are lagging in benefits compared to other big corporations who has a car plan for their managers. However, our salary is much higher compared to them because our chairman said that employees are happier when they get hold of the money instead of putting it in benefits like insurance and the like. And I guess our chairman is right on that.

3. Sotaru

Sotaru
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Teamwork is the biggest thing that keeps employee motivation at all-time highs. It's been proven by multiple studies that the greatest teamwork in work environments produces the greatest results for companies.

4. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have always liked working in places where the boss was focused on maintaining a positive upbeat environment. It is so much nicer to work in an environment where there is a positive vibe as opposed to an environment full of bitching and moaning.

I felt like a million bucks one time when the owner of the company told me he had full faith and confidence in my abilities and was glad to have me working for him.

In my very first job when I was a young teenager, whenever the equipment would break down I would hesitate to do anything about it other than just let the boss know it was broken. The boss told me that he wanted me to feel free to try to fix anything I think I might be able to fix and to go ahead and make whatever decision I thought was the best decision and he would be okay with it. He basically gave me full autonomy to execute my job and do things outside of my normal job description as long as I was doing what I thought was the right thing to do. I got exceptionally good at that job. I got frequent pay raises (even though they were small raises). And even though the work was dirty and hard, I absolutely loved having that job.

One time I had a boss invite me into a private discussion about the future direction of the company and he asked me for my advice even though at the time I was 22 years old and he was a well seasoned 50 something year old business owner. I had been working there for about 2 years at that point in time. It made me feel like a really important person to know that he cared about my opinion of what direction he should take his company in.

I made a suggestion to that same boss about something I would do if I was the owner of the company. He liked my idea so much that he called a company wide meeting the following Monday and announced he was going to implement the very thing I told him I would do if I was him. That made me feel like a million bucks too because I realized he truly did value my opinion. He wasn't just patronizing me. Unfortunately, he never gave me the public recognition for giving him that idea. Instead he took full credit for it. I thought that was a very tacky move and never really got over that for the remainder of the time I worked for him. I think it is incredibly important to recognize employees when they come up with a great idea and you should publicly acknowledge that in front of the other employees.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for posting, this is exactly what I was asking about, specific acts that are rewarding, and make employees feel valued. It sounds as if you have had a variety of bosses, both good and bad. Sometimes we learn even more from the negative experiences than the positive ones. Even though you didn't get the credit for the idea you mentioned, how good did it feel that a business owner valued it enough to steal it from a youngster just starting out?? I agree, it was very wrong of him not to acknowledge that the idea was yours. The onus of that is on him, and whether or not anyone else knew the truth, you did.

Reading your story reminded me of one of my first jobs. I'd forgotten about it when I started this thread, but I actually think of it often, because it was such a great experience. I was 17, and was working a Summer position that turned out to be much different than I had expected. Up until that point (I was in high school, after all), I'd had permanent part time jobs where there were set duties, and close supervision. The scope of the Summer position was the same as described, but I was given a level of autonomy that amazed me. I basically had no one overseeing me, and was trusted to do the job however I wanted, as long as the end goal was met. The fact that my supervisors had such faith in me motivated me to do the best job possible, and autonomy has been one of my primary goals since that time.

#5 Diane Lane, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I stopped being an employee more than twenty years ago but I will never forget the first job I had. I was a part time receptionist at our local television station. At the time there was a Managing Director that stood out as being meticulous and somewhat of a perfectionist. I made it my business not to cross paths with him for fear of being criticized..

One day after a few months of working at the establishment, his secretary came out and told me that her boss said I was one of best receptionist if not the best receptionist that ever graced the building. His giving compliments was such a rare thing she said she had to tell me. More than twenty years later and that still gives me a sense of pride. At that same job one of the most feared board members came to me one day and told me I was the most pleasant receptionist he had ever met at the station. As a young employee back then it meant the world to me to be acknowledged and complimented by two of the most revered men. Praise works wonders in the life of employees and it's something I have to keep reminding myself of even now as an old tired employer.

Recently I became an employee of sorts again when I joined my husband to assist with a new venture. Perhaps I should leave my comments about that experience for the " what makes you unhappy as an employee' thread.

• Like Like x 1
  7. m0n2k

m0n2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First of all, it's like you said they want you to advance. I've had a job before where the boss wanted us to work as a team. The boss I had wanted to make mini versions of himself and create managers. When your employer has your advancement in his company in mind, you'll feel motivated to work for them. When a manager has other people who know there job and doesn't have to watch them, it makes the managers job easier.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I work better if I were given the freedom. No bossing around no politics and no power tripping. I know my strengths I know what will and will not work for me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, having the freedom to use your skills and experience can be very motivating. I do not like being micromanaged, especially when the person doing it has been promoted through nepotism, and doesn't have the qualifications or skills to be in his/her position. That can cause a lot of issues and discontentment in a workplace.

10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Haha, that's my next thread I'm starting. Recognition definitely helps us to feel good about ourselves and our performance, and it's FREE. Not enough employers utilize recognition as a form of reward, although it could not only motivate the recipient, but also coworkers.

11. Robert01

Robert01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A friendly environment makes an employee very happy. If the employees enjoy their work and love their working place then it would be a great issue for the business owner. Of course money is a matter here. Employees must be happy with their salary.

12. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that the biggest thing for me would be making sure that my concerns are being hear. I notice that sometimes people just don't care about what you have to say if you aren't someone important. I feel like that isn't right because there are people like me who do have concerns I also like knowing that I can come to the person in charge when I need to. Having a good relationship there is also important too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. david14beck

david14beck
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yeah teamwork is the biggest thing in any work whether you are doing business or other activity. A company is a depends on their employ so if they are happy then probably your business will run more smoothly. but if we can't say anything about business. A happy person has always a positive attitude rather then others.

14. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Those are some great points @Danielle Davidson. Autocratic leadership styles are no longer accepted by the majority of employees, and thankfully, are not found quite as frequently as in the past. It is important to keep the lines of communication open, so everyone feels s/he has a voice. Some of the best ideas come from those who are dealing directly with products, processes, or people, as in customers, and their feedback can be invaluable when running a business. Having that feedback recognized and appreciated are important, but also sharing the appreciation with others in the form of public (within the company, at least) recognition can go a long way toward making employees feel valued.

15. LouiseMartinez

LouiseMartinez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Communication and yes, teamwork. Hearing everyone’s side when there is a slight problem is also important.

16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The workplace shouldn't be too stressful for the employees. There should be good communication between the workers and yes, teamwork is very important. One thing that would be a huge factor in setting a happy working environment is the mood/attitude of the boss/superior. If the boss is too demanding and always reprimanding, it would definitely affect the productivity of the employees.

• Like Like x 1
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I was an employee, the main thing I looked out for was a mutual respect between me and my managers and employer. obviously everybody works to earn a living, but I wasn't interested in hitting targets or earning higher bonuses, or a pat on the back.

As I'm now an emperor, I think that experience as helped me, as whole some people are bonus driven and can only be motivated by money, there's a lot of people out there, good workers, that are happy just to be shown some respect, and are happy with just a thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nancy Olson

Nancy Olson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Stress free environment,freedom to use your skills and experience are the factors that motivate employees. Team work and strong communication between employees also plays an important role in employee engagement.

19. Jade80

Jade80
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I once worked for a very small newspaper in my hometown years ago. I was hired under the pretense of a part-time position, and initially was told my duties would simply be typing up articles. This was all I was looking for, as I had two small children at home. Within the few months I stayed, my duties escalated to everything under the sun, driving to the printers two towns away, in my own vehicle, to picking up lunch for my boss, to being called at 3 o'clock in the morning to come in because the boss was a notorious procrastinator and was not going to be able to have the paper ready to go to press the next day. Once I was asked to go to her home and pick up her camera and take it over 100 miles away where she was doing a story, because she had forgotten it. I was used and abused, very under-appreciated and under-compensated. While I, and one other employee, did most of the work for this publication, only her name appeared in print. When I finally got up the nerve to quit, she couldn't imagine why I felt the way I did, and went as far as to tell me that I was being unrealistic in my job expectations. The other employee quit soon after, and to my knowledge, her little newspaper has always struggled to keep employees. No one should have to work under those conditions, and sometimes employers have serious superiority complex issues that they need to deal with.

What makes me happy as an employee, is simply to be appreciated for the work I do.

20. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Long decades have passed away since the time I was an employee to date, that I'm self-employed. However I remember that money was to me the main goal to be happy as employee and I while my dad used to recommend me go to find a job with social security and long-term benefits to retire in good terms, I did exactly the opposite because companies offering all those long-term benefits used to pay much less than companies not offering them.

I was young and wanted to be happy in present time, rather than receive a lower wage to secure a future retirement check.

• Like Like x 1