What makes you different from your competitor?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Andym, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Every business have competitors and a battlefield. There can be many reasons behind the success of any Business. However, every business try to offer something different from their competitors. It can be in the form of discounts & offers, low price then your competitor does, more variety in products, special services (Free shipping etc).

So here we go! You can list your significant business services that makes you different from your competitors?

Thanks you for all your answers!

2. MichaelSullivan

MichaelSullivan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If ever, I think I will be more personal to my clients. I make it a point that I am giving the best service to them. I will constantly check on them and the product. And though the service had already been served, I will still reach or keep in contact with them. I make it a point to have a few customers that are sure to come back rather than a long pile for just one time.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What makes Business Advice Forum different is that we are international and we are always helpful and friendly. Plus our major contests are not something I have seen on any other forums.

4. jackmathew12

jackmathew12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have learned about many business strategies but, i don't know whenever i used to deal with my clients so, many times i find myself unable to convince them. Anyone can give some suggestions......

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

And some other forums even copy our contests. :p

6. Doblo7

Doblo7
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Always make time to speak to your customers, especially if they have any concerns. Don't forget that without them you don't have a business.

7. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks everyone, for your response. I was expecting many more responses, from this Forum members, which is meant for business discussion & advices.

The service that makes us (Promo Direct) different from our competitors is that we try keep our Prices relatively less, We keep our overhead low and buy at high volume for deep discounts on hundreds of top quality, brand name promotional products for business promotion.

I would suggest you to make sure that you understand the needs of your client properly. And when you deal with them, explain them what makes your services outstanding from others (Your competitors).

8. MichaelSullivan

MichaelSullivan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Precisely, Fergal. This forum is just great that some are trying to be copy cat versions. :)

9. chloe_wong

chloe_wong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

our website is more professional than that of our competitor.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Saying that your website is more professional is a little vague. In what specific way is it more professional? How does that benefit your potential customer / visitor?

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm also wondering about the same thing (but I haven't posted it due to my faulty connection :( ).
    Saying that makes me think that she is too over confident. But I know there are reasons behind it that I want to know. :)

12. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What make me different is that, i will trying being friend with my clients instead of just being client. I will be personal close to them within the period of working days. After the deal is done, i will still continue to email them for like some causal talking or chit-chat. I will always ask every bit of the project to get it going. But 1st few of the projects failed.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Be careful not to over do that, most professionals and small business owners are very busy and some of them will not welcome the interruption.

14. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just some casual e-mailing.

15. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As Fergal mentioned, be very careful with "casual e-mailing". While to you it's simply friendly and very non intrusive (and in your mind a positive thing), to the person on the other end it could be distracting or even annoying (and very much a negative thing).

When I engage someone for professional services, I want them to be 'friendly' in our dealings, but I don't want them to try and become my 'friend' and start emailing me outside of our business dealings. Sure, you will befriend clients at times, but it's not something you should attempt to do with 'every' client.

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Paul and Fergal. It will kinda leave a negative feeling on your clients.
    Why? Since the deal is already done, they think that your work is done for them. And when you email them after that, they are kinda distracted in taking care on their own business. And most of the time, they will think that you are to intrusive.

It is best to do this if the client want you to.

17. landau

landau
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As I have experienced, most of my clients are so busy, they barely have time to reply to my business related emails that I would surely not bother them with any chatting.
    I keep my business emails short and keep them as straightforward as possible to save time (both for me and the client).

18. sikandar1205

sikandar1205
    uix_expand uix_collapse

the ability which i have..

19. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

And what ability is that? Can you explain to us about it?

20. Rubs

Rubs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I remember a guy who was asked "Why are you doing what you do? There are already plenty of projects like that!". His reply was - "They all have a major flaw. The income from those projects goes into someone else's pocket" :)

Speaking seriously, I think that a business needs to have some kind of your personality (and that'll easily make it unique) + try to do its best to satisfy customers. That'll make it really stand out from the crowd.