What Makes You Demotivated, Discouraged, or Disgruntled, As An Employee?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Diane Lane, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've got a thread here about the factors in a workplace that make people feel encouraged, and obviously, the flip side is what are some things that contribute to a negative work environment. By talking about these issues, we can help business managers learn what to do or not do, in order to motivate employees, and promote a positive work environment, which tends to help a business become more successful.

What are some negative things that have happened or are happening in your current or past workplaces? How did they make you feel, and how did you respond?

2. Savvy

Savvy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you don't get paid on time. Restaurant businesses that are poorly managed or losing money; they think their employees should work for free. If for some reason your business can't pay their employees on time (no cash), then it should be communicated before the pay day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, that's a really good one. I haven't worked in a restaurant in years, but, unless it's an upscale one, my understanding is that many employees are underpaid and overworked, and often live paycheck to paycheck. Being paid late or not being paid at all, could present serious consequences. Even if the person isn't in dire straits, employment is a contract, written or otherwise, and paying late or not paying at all, is a breach of that contract, as well as a breach of trust, which could lead to a ruined business reputation, as well as legal repercussions.

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One thing I've experienced at previous jobs is that some employers don't treat all employees the same. Obviously we're each individuals, with separate and distinct personalities, needs, and wants, and I'm not talking about special accommodations for disabilities, but rather, special treatment for specific individuals. Sometimes the special treatment is due to family relationships or friendship, sometimes due to romantic entanglements, and other times, is a result of other reasons, but it can lead to disenchantment and demotivated employees, and have a negative impact on the workplace.

5. missbishi

missbishi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm with you all the way on this Diane, it's really disheartening when colleagues appear to receive preferential treatment. It also discourages people from trying for promotion as they usually go to the "preferred" people.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The thing that I hate in the office is when I get blamed for something that I have no hand in. Like now, I got a memo about the over purchase of software licenses, saying it was my fault where in fact the ordering is not my responsibility. There is another unit that orders those licenses. Anyway, being blamed is common in the office and I guess the blaming game will not go away due to the competition. But we have to be strong and firm and also should know how to explain matters for better understanding of the accusers.

7. healingforce

healingforce
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally what takes me demotivated is the fact that I know I won't make it anywhere with my current job and so as an employee I feel like I'm doing this without any prospective in the future to be in a better position than the one I currently am. Another thing could be the low wage that demotivates me in doing good and so I just do the minimum that is necessary in order to receive it, nothing more and nothing less.

8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That sounds pretty unpleasant. All they need do is look at job descriptions to see that is not in yours. It would be great if employees got paid for everything they were blamed for doing, but weren't responsible for.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you have an eye to the future? Are you in school for another position? I've been in some jobs that were dead end like the one you've described, and one thing that have kept me going were knowing that I was getting an education, so I could eventually leave the position. Another was when I was saving up for a specific purpose, whether it be a vacation, a move, or a vehicle. Having some hope for a better future, or at least a firm goal, can help us cope mentally with debilitating jobs.

10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It was a very long time since I last worked for a boss. Generally, I had a good relationship with both my supervisors and colleagues and experienced few problems. They only thing that demotivated me was that I was working long hours for a very low income. I didn't mind this in the beginning as I was gaining valuable work experience. However, after a while I decided to strike out on my own so that I could finally start earning what I was really worth.

• Like Like x 1
  11. healingforce

healingforce
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your encouragin words. By the way no I'm not in school for any further position and at the moment the job I have is really insecure as the boss can leave me at home whenever he wants. Luckly I have my familty that gives me some help otherwise it would be really tough. I have already done the school by the way but in the place I live even if you have some valuable diploma you have to go to work as waiter or harvester in any case unless youhave storng references.

12. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're welcome. It's difficult when you know you're qualified for more, but have to settle. It's good that your family gives you some help. Is there a possibility of starting your own business where you live, relocating to a place where there are more possibilities, or starting an online business of some sort?

13. Nancy Olson

Nancy Olson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They consider themselves as disgruntled employees when employees are not encouraged and trusted. Also when they are not paid on time and don't get bonus specially when they deserve it.