What makes a good Manager?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Zyni, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Zyni

Zyni
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In general, what makes one manager better than another? Is it being knowledgeable? Is it being the most fair minded? Is it having reasonable expectations and not demanding more of others than you are willing to do yourself? Is it someone who is very organized, or is it the person who is most innovative?

Obviously, there are many things that apply to being a good manager of people, but what do you think is the most important aspect?

2. truebluefan

truebluefan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need to be skilled in:

• Clear Communication
    • Assertive Communication
    • Creating a Connection
    • Integrity
    • Motivational Skills
    • Decision Making Skills

3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I really think he/she should be a mix of everything. He/she should of course be very knowledgeable, but at the same time, he/she should also have good personality and understanding, not too strict and not too merciful. He/she must have good leadership skills as well.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

According to the management training that I underwent a long time ago, a good manager knows everything about his area of jurisdiction, that includes the human resources, the material resources, the functions and the relation with other units. But in my experience, the manager is a fulcrum that stands between the subordinates and the management. I have to take a balance because it is not good to side with the subordinates and not good either to always side with the management.

5. healingforce

healingforce
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A good manager to me needs two things that I think he/she must have: charisma and a strong personality. A manager is someone who, as the word says, manage the others and manage also the situations that he or she face during its jobs and thus it must have something that makes him stand out of the crowd like the charisma, a charming person is the key point here. The strong personlity is needed in order to not let himself taken over by other guys and to give a strong sign of who is the leader.

6. MahaKarthi

MahaKarthi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A good manager is a leader and a person who thinks of progress of the team and works towards motivating each individual by pitching on their skill sets. They are proactive and solution finders.

7. missbishi

missbishi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A good manager needs to remain impartial and not show any preference for certain colleagues. In addition, they should be approachable. There are so many highly skilled managers out there who are sadly lacking in people skills. Their firms then wonder why there is such a high staff turnover. Fair management is key to employee retention.

8. Alan Ron

Alan Ron
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Good Communication skills
    • Ability
    • Inspirational skills
    • Decision Making

9. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe I agree with most of the things if not all mentioned by others. I don't remember seeing Trustworthy, but that is vitally important as far as I am concerned. I also believe that a good manager needs to be approachable. That human element needs to ever present for employees to give of their best. Too many times managers think they have to 'rule with an iron fist' and this hardly yields good fruit from my experience.

10. Dharmendra Nain

Dharmendra Nain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need this skill in your manager -
    1. Motivate people.
    2. Make people feel good
    3. Tell your employees how much you appreciate them from time to time.

11. Richard Johnson

Richard Johnson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of the biggest mistakes new managers make is failing to develop good working relationships with their team members. Great managers might engage the employees in figuring out how to reduce the safety risk that makes gloves necessary in the first place.

12. Savvy

Savvy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I feel like I have posted this already. One thing important feature is to be open minded. Listen to fellow employees, take their ideas and concerns to heart. They will lead to new perspectives and maybe changes you have never thought of.

13. MBA Trainer

MBA Trainer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Positive decisions
    Patience
    Development of understanding level
    Caring attitude
    and helping other make a good manager

14. judithsellnetoow

judithsellnetoow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Good Question.

1 good leadership qualities
    2 good handling of collegues
    3 problem solving skills
    4 identifying individual resource capacity what they can, what they cant.
    5 good learner.

if have these skills he is best manager.

15. Robert01

Robert01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the most important thing about a manager is experience. If you have more choice then you should choose the one with more experience. Maybe I'm wrong but this is what I right.

16. clevelandslim

clevelandslim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Manager is someone who do things right. For a good manager he needs to be good in planning, good in focusing on things, do only things that are right, good in organizing, good in controlling and following rules.

17. Nancy Olson

Nancy Olson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Patience
    Personality
    Strong decision making skills
    Good listener
    Ability to Delegate
    Honesty
    Positive Attitude toward problems
    Ability to inspire
    and so many other qualities make a perfect manager.

18. Tandy

Tandy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some interesting comments - have you read a little book called The One Minute Manager by Kenneth Blanchard ph.D. & Spencer Johnson M.D
    There is also a One minute Sales Person, great little books.

19. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A good manager is someone that can see the big picture, something most managers don't have. A manager must be able to step back and try to visualize his entire operation almost from a bird's eye view perspective. I've come across managers who only seem to be knowledgeable about 1 or 2 key areas of the business they are running. The business suffers because of this, as many other key areas are neglected because the manager has failed to take a holistic approach.

20. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I good manager knows what his or her weaknesses are. It is therefore necessary for the manager to be able to spot the right people to bring in to the team base on their skills and knowledge or whatever it is they can contribute to attain the goals. In other words a manager does not have to know or do everything he should be able to seek the help of the right people to join him.