What is the truth on meta keyword tag?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by apexis, Jun 21, 2012.

1. apexis

apexis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi

I was informed that the meta keyword tag is important, provided it is relevant to your page contents and not stuffed with keywords. I was told this from someone in SEO.

I was researching online for ideal number of keywords in keyword meta and the max number of times to repeat a keyword and found nothing to indicate that the meta keyword tag is worth anything This is what I always thought, I used them because they did no harm, but always thought google ignored them.

Do you add them? if so how many keywords do you add, and how many of these are your main keyword?
    Thanks

2. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Matt Cutts already said that the SE is ignoring the Meta Keywords Tags. You can also view the video here:

[video=youtube_share;jK7IPbnmvVU]http://youtu.be/jK7IPbnmvVU[/video]

• Like Like x 3
  3. C.Rebecca

C.Rebecca
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No limit (I just successfully submitted a 1000 words in there) but the appropriate number of keywords to use in the meta keyword tag is zero.

A little while ago, keyword meta tags quickly became an area where someone could stuff often-irrelevant keywords without typical visitors ever seeing those keywords. Because the keywords meta tag was so often abused, many years ago Google began disregarding the keywords meta tag....and hence they are no longer important for Google now.

But, I am sure you are not optimizing your website for Google only, so you need to include them in your page for good ranking in other search engines.

4. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Though they are already ignoring it, you can still choose to add meta tags on your keyword, and that is at your own risk, or consideration.

5. Dawey

Dawey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, that is not true. He only says that they don't use it for ranking. Everyone watching this seem to automatically come to the conclusion that tMK-tags are completely useless. But if you listen closely, you hear that google indeed don't totally ignore them. Although you won't get punished for not using them, there might still be reasons to use it. There are also some experts who believe that google indeed use keywords in a more active way than they admit:

http://www.seroundtable.com/google-meta-keywords-tag-use-12805.html

If what is said in the link above is true, then MK-tags indeed have an impact on search rankings.

I use meta keywords (only 5-6/page), mostly because we don't know how google will change their algorithms in the future. There might be other reasons, like there are many web directories use tags for their own subject tags. Also, it depends on what market you are aiming for. In some countries, Google has less market share. So if you head for an international market, you should consider to optimize for other search engines as well.

Using them today or not isn't either right or wrong. But we do know that the seach engines are constantly evolving and change their methods to get better on what they do.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My personal opinion on meta tags is that they won't do your site any harm, provided that you don't use them in any blackhat way and that the terms you add to your meta tags are relevant to your site content. Some search engines do use them. In summary some search engines use them, they won't do your site any harm, it only takes a minute to add them - so why not add them to your site, you have nothing to lose?

7. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Perhaps we only relied traffic from major search engine (Google, Bing). Others search engine may use keyword tag as search algorithm. Secondly it only require minimum effort to setup keywords tag, so we should not ignore it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kimipatel

kimipatel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Meta keyword tags indicate the search engine bots about purpose of web page, target keyword of content, authorization of webpage with moto/aim of webpage to search engine bots then it becomes very easy to bot for deciding/judging about content of webpage.

9. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

From what I have seen and from personal experience, I think that they are worth very little.

If you are creating a single page and can easily identify a few keywords, then by all means go ahead and include the tag.

If you are trying to optimize an existing site with hundreds of pages without a keywords meta tag, then don't waste your time going back and creating the tag.

Whatever you do, don't load up a keywords meta tag with every possible word with any connection to your content. The proper use of the tag is to identify a few key words or or phrases that identify the subject matter of the page. Adding dozens of keywords will, at best, only muddle the message you are trying to convey to the search engines and at worst will be considered black hat SEO. With the recent Penguin update to the Google algorithm, we now know that Google is penalizing over-optimized sites, though no one really knows the details. I think anything that makes your site look like it is engaging in black hat SEO is a potential problem and should be avoided.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dawey

Dawey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice post. Yeah, that's the problem. No one knows what they mean. Some of it probably means that we must keep SEO as natural as possible. But that could be over-optimization as well, doesn't it? And "natural optimization" could mean that you have have 20-30 different keyword tags because that is just what beginners do? Or doesn't it?

11. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No one knows what Google need from us, which kind of SEO we have to for better ranking. I'm just listening nowadays guest posting is best for taking rank and traffic both as well.

12. zeropid

zeropid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Meta keyword tag is not working with google, but useful for other SEs