What is the real reason that google does not counts facebook links

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by manishsqrt, Jun 3, 2015.

1. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have heard that Google doesn't count Facebook links. The excuse they give is that they cannot get keywords in Facebook links, hence they don't crawl them. But then it made me think that Google doesn't cares about keyword meta tag at all when it crawls any page on internet.
    Facebook isn't any different than forums for me, so if Google can crawl forum links, why not Facebook? Another opinion says that forums are topic based and hence they are more useful for Google, but Facebook posts are irrelevant. But, Facebook has groups that have topic based discussions. I spent around 6 months posting links on Facebook and was disappointed to know this. Can anybody suggest any real reason, or is it the rivalry between two giants that is causing this? Google counts Google + results but not Facebook result - isn't this strange? A few people also told me that FB doesn't have as strict a spam filter as forums, so it has billions of links on it that Google can't crawl. But if that is the case, isn't Google breaking its own rule of ranking pages based on links? It is not crawling a really large part of web. I read on Wikipedia that Google theory was based on the principle that Google is just a medium that will send you to a page which you are most likely to reach when you keep on clicking links randomly, so what about such a large part of web like FB? Can't people click those links randomly? Where is the honesty now? Or, does the entrance of FB mean the slow death of Google?

#1 manishsqrt, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015
  2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

You started out talking about links on Facebook, then said Google doesn't care about keyword meta tags? These are two different things, as links are in the content, where the "keywords" meta tag is part of the coding of the site. The "keywords" meta tag doesn't link to anywhere, and you are right when you say Google doesn't care about it, but why should that have anything to do with Google crawling the actual links in the content? You then compared Facebook links to forum links, which does nothing to help your cause. Forum links are low-quality links, so really shouldn't be used anyway. Plus, most of the pages on Facebook are personal pages, not business, so the topics are not going to be business-related. For that reason, businesses can use Facebook to reach out to their followers/potential customers, but links are not their primary purpose. You said you read on Wikipedia that "Google is just a medium that will send you to a page which you are most likely to reach when you keep on clicking links randomly", but pages on Wkipedia can be edited by anyone, so I would not use Wikipedia as a reliable source in this instance. Google's purpose is to give searchers the most reliable results possible, and they will do whatever they can to accomplish this. That is why they have been around for so long, and will be around for quite a while. Facebook is not going to kill Google, slowly or by any other method.

3. abhi_garg

abhi_garg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very good question to ask but as I understand so Facebook is a great social network ! Which has millions users from world wide & some of them use Facebook as fun & entertainment as well as Some users use Facebook as social sharing to it all creates bad impress. Most of peoples share irrelevant links. Which Google really hates.

4. david14beck

david14beck
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook is a social networking site, thousand of visitor come to this site and use this for fun,sharing and entertainment.if you make any personal account or page then its useful and it can be visible on search results.but link posted in Facebook profile doesn't give you rank. its a good source for brand promotion not for SEO ranking.

5. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes but the question still remains, why google doesn't counts facebook links.Isn't it like they are breaking there own policy.

6. AJKpeter

AJKpeter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google changes the algorithm almost every day. If today FB links are not count - next day they could be found

7. david14beck

david14beck
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, but answer is simple Google doesn't count FB links but its a very good source of traffic. more traffic to your website means, it will automatically improve ranking.