What is the first thing a visitor should see on your website?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Davidj, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Davidj

Davidj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Should it be a welcoming message? Information on how you can help them, or fancy graphics? Or does it depend on your individual goals?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My opinion is that the first thing you should show on a website is information that makes it very clear to the visitor as to how they will benefit from the site. That way their interest is obtained and they are more likely to stay on the site and search around for what they are looking for.

• Like Like x 3
  3. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

website is information that makes it very clear to the visitor as to how they will benefit from the site

This is very true. There are lot of websites which have great design and products, but we don't know what they try to offer.

Different audience have different need. We take web directories as example, some are try to promote links and products, some are try to get the product information. Site owner must provide a very clear information, so that it encourage revisit.

4. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A welcoming message for visitors, telling them the common questions of people when they land a page. You may start answering questions like Who, What, When, Why ins short sentences/paragraphs. And then add some CTA for people to click or entice them to visit other of your pages to know more about you.

5. smartkathy

smartkathy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

As per my opinion, individual goals is the first thing a visitor should see on our website.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Can you please explain that a little more smartkathy? What do you mean by "individual goals"?

7. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Probably she meant about the mission, vision and goals of the website/company? ..

8. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Content is the primary thing in your site and it has no alternate. Content is king. If you have a lot of fresh and unique content clearly explaining what you're representing in your site, will be the most attractive thing for visitors and they become loyal, if you continue to update your site with fresh and unique content. The secondary thing is social media which acts as a resource to your site. Using social media is just the main key to more visitors but to make them dependable you must have solid content. So always try to improve the quality of your existing blog. Try to make people laugh, don’t be rude to your visitors, make your visitors feel at home.

9. LucidWebMarketng

LucidWebMarketng
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As Fergal said, first thing is to show a strong benefit. Grab their attention. Get the visitor started towards your goal, what you want visitors to do.

Too many sites have "Welcome to our site!" and then talk about themselves, how they supposedly are best or their values. Most people don't care. Tell them how you will help them. This assumes you do a good job with SEO and with the right keywords. It all starts before they click. If your listing is the same "welcome to our site", not many will click. In fact, you likely won't be showing on the first page with that.

Let's say you sell granite kitchen counter tops. The old boring "welcome" won't sell many. But if you have "Throw the Rag Away and Never Clean Your Counter Again" with a sub-heading of "World's First Self-cleaning Countertops", I think that will grab their attention. Or whatever you believe would make them pay attention and what they may be looking for in that product. That gets them to want to read further. Guide them until you make them want it and TELL them to do what you want them to do (call, buy, whatever).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dawey

Dawey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, what Fergal said. What you offer and why you are special.

11. ChrisLeads

ChrisLeads
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A slideshow that shows your services with a nice graphics.

12. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Give them the information they need. If you are offering services give them what kind of services you need. Because most of the surfers nowadays are really grumpy and impatient.

13. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The very first thing would be a good design, the next would be a good layout and the next would be good content.

14. smartkathy

smartkathy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Individual goals means Visitors aim, to come for your site. Like: they are coming for information about your services, So Content is the first thing.

15. kimipatel

kimipatel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well this is the most important things to attack people to you website.. As we can see when we open a website we can see digital graphics, logos,web design, All of things is available to attack people to your website... Color, brightness also more important things to this.....

16. elina

elina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1 A First-Thing-They-See Headline
    Make it big, bold, and colorful. A lot of sales page headlines are big, bold, and red because, scientifically, that is the best way to attract your eye.
    Include a post image. A good post image attracts your eye immediately and subtly summarizes the main point of your blog post. I chose the post image for this post because it highlights “3 points” while emphasizing that everything else is ticky-tacky.

2. A Valuable, Persuasive, and Trust-Building Message
    Text – Most popular because it’s the easiest and it indexes properly in search engines. But since so many people simply write, you need to do an extraordinary job in order to stand out.
    Images – A series of photos, images, or an infographic is a great way to creatively and uniquely communicate your message. Plus, if your blog has lots of fancy graphics, people will perceive you as an authority because it takes dedication to create those images.
    Audio – If you want to run an interview series or a podcast, post the audio. The Audio Player plugin works well for this.
    Video – Outside of talking with someone face-to-face, video is the most effective channel for building trust with someone. Why do you think people like celebrities?

3. A Call to Action that Accomplishes Your Goals

17. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with this. Letting your visitor know what you are about to present to them and why they should pursue it, helps to pull people deeper into your site and to the information they seek. Good strategy.

18. Davidj

Davidj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks all :},

I just updated my homepage. As a customer, what do you think about it?

Correction! I just updated it again. This time I"m pleased with the design.

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

David I've had a look at http://itsonline.weebly.com/ and I think it looks great, well done. It very clearly communicates the services you offer and I hope that you find lots of clients through it.

20. Davidj

Davidj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks, I appreciate it :}