What is the difference between i3, i5 and i7 intel processors?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by bmwillsmith, May 6, 2014.

1. bmwillsmith

bmwillsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Friends, i would like to buy new laptop.
    So i am confusing about intel processors i3, i5 and i7.
    Can you say what is the difference between these three?

2. bjdea2

bjdea2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, generally speaking i3 has Dual processors (2 cpu core's inside & 2 threads), i5 has Quad processors(4 cpu core's inside and 4 threads), i7 has QUAD processors (4 cpu core's inside and 8 threads) . Threads are like virtual CPU cores, the more of them the better, they can help the operating system to better utilize the CPU cores.

CPU's also have different cache sizes, and many other features, the higher end being better than the cheaper ones.

Speed wise the i5 would be good enough for most laptop/desktop needs. The i7 would be good for gaming or for someone wanting more speed and power. The i3 are ok, good enough for everyday use if you're not needing the power of the higher models. Also something to consider is laptop battery life, the lower end CPU's will use less power, making your laptop battery last longer between charges.

But probably of more importance is the type of disks you have. Solid state disks perform far better than the older magnetic mechanical disks and use dramatically less power. Probably the disk used will be more significant in determining overall laptop speed than the differences between these CPUs - assuming everyday type usage. If you're gonna be compiling computer code a lot or doing a lot of graphical editing of photo's etc then higher end CPU will be better as well as decent amount of memory.

Hope that helps.

3. bmwillsmith

bmwillsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you, bj, for your clear explanation. It helps me a lot to understand the processors.

#3 bmwillsmith, May 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  4. ramsukhsahu

ramsukhsahu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

These are the versions of intel processors in which capacity if i7and is latest is max as compared to i3 and i5

5. lewiskent

lewiskent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The difference between i3, i5 and i7 are simply indicative of their relative processing powers.
    Number of cores found in core i3 are lowest, i.e. it have only two cores. Core i5 consist of 4 cores. and the core i7 also consist of 4 cores some of the i7 also have 6 or 8 cores. In terms of performance, Hyper-Threading speeds up multi-tasking and multi-threaded applications. Core i3 and i7 processors have this technology, Core i5 processors do not. The faster the clock speed the faster the core can run the Core i5 would most likely be quicker, as its four real cores are better than the Core i3's two cores.

6. danialrobart

danialrobart
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i3 has only 3Mb cache and dual core processor... and an i5 6Mb and quad core processor, but the i5-2410M is only 3Mb cache and a dual core. For the most part, you'll get faster CPU performance from Core i7 than Core i5. The majority of Core i7 desktop CPUs are quad-core processors, while many mobile Core i5 processors are dual core.

7. vantrendin

vantrendin
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

main thing is speed..