What is the difference between i3, i5 and i7 intel processors?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by bmwillsmith, May 6, 2014.

1. bmwillsmith

bmwillsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Friends, i would like to buy new laptop.
    So i am confusing about intel processors i3, i5 and i7.
    Can you say what is the difference between these three?

2. bjdea2

bjdea2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, generally speaking i3 has Dual processors (2 cpu core's inside & 2 threads), i5 has Quad processors(4 cpu core's inside and 4 threads), i7 has QUAD processors (4 cpu core's inside and 8 threads) . Threads are like virtual CPU cores, the more of them the better, they can help the operating system to better utilize the CPU cores.

CPU's also have different cache sizes, and many other features, the higher end being better than the cheaper ones.

Speed wise the i5 would be good enough for most laptop/desktop needs. The i7 would be good for gaming or for someone wanting more speed and power. The i3 are ok, good enough for everyday use if you're not needing the power of the higher models. Also something to consider is laptop battery life, the lower end CPU's will use less power, making your laptop battery last longer between charges.

But probably of more importance is the type of disks you have. Solid state disks perform far better than the older magnetic mechanical disks and use dramatically less power. Probably the disk used will be more significant in determining overall laptop speed than the differences between these CPUs - assuming everyday type usage. If you're gonna be compiling computer code a lot or doing a lot of graphical editing of photo's etc then higher end CPU will be better as well as decent amount of memory.

Hope that helps.

3. bmwillsmith

bmwillsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you, bj, for your clear explanation. It helps me a lot to understand the processors.

#3 bmwillsmith, May 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  4. lewiskent

lewiskent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The difference between i3, i5 and i7 are simply indicative of their relative processing powers.
    Number of cores found in core i3 are lowest, i.e. it have only two cores. Core i5 consist of 4 cores. and the core i7 also consist of 4 cores some of the i7 also have 6 or 8 cores. In terms of performance, Hyper-Threading speeds up multi-tasking and multi-threaded applications. Core i3 and i7 processors have this technology, Core i5 processors do not. The faster the clock speed the faster the core can run the Core i5 would most likely be quicker, as its four real cores are better than the Core i3's two cores.

5. danialrobart

danialrobart
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i3 has only 3Mb cache and dual core processor... and an i5 6Mb and quad core processor, but the i5-2410M is only 3Mb cache and a dual core. For the most part, you'll get faster CPU performance from Core i7 than Core i5. The majority of Core i7 desktop CPUs are quad-core processors, while many mobile Core i5 processors are dual core.

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I actually had an experience recently that shows the difference, and how important it is to get the proper processor for what you intend to do. I had been running a Samsung with an i3, and updated to Windows 10 when the opportunity to do so for free came up. Unfortunately, my computer started running very slowly. I put up with it for as long as I could, thinking the problem was either a virus(I do have antivirus software, and it found nothing) or too many programs loading at startup. Finally, the computer died, and I found out that the problem was Windows 10 itself. Windows 10 is a processing hog, and needs a minimum of i5. I also discovered, as bjdea mentioned, that SSD drives are better than standrard hard drives, so my new computer has both an i5 processor and an SSD drive.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alexander Thomas

Alexander Thomas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want a plain and simple answer, then, generally speaking, Core i7s are better than Core i5s, which are in turn better than Core i3s. Nope, Core i7 does not have seven cores nor does Core i3 have three cores. The numbers are simply indicative of their relative processing powers.Currently, all Core i5 processors, except for the i5-4570T, are quad cores in Australia. The Core i5-4570T is only a dual-core processor with a standard clock speed of 2.9GHz. Remember that all Core i3s are also dual cores. Furthermore, the i3-4130T is also 2.9GHz, yet a lot cheaper. Sounds like it might be a better buy than the i5.

8. Brooke Harper

Brooke Harper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, Kent. I was told by a friend that an i7 processor heats up much faster than i3s and i5s. Is there some truth to this? There might also be some rationale behind this IF it's an established fact. If it's not, it's common sense to think that faster processors require more energy. At least that's how I see it.

9. Smith-K

Smith-K
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are looking for true i3, i5 or i7 performance then try getting hold of a desktop rather than a laptop. As laptops do not provide the true processor performance, they are mainly mobile processors which aren't that fast as compared to desktop.