What Is The Character Limits Of Title And Description Tags?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by borgninestallone, Nov 14, 2012.

1. borgninestallone

borgninestallone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Recently i am optimizing very high competitive keyword, I need to do perfect ON Page. How could is include the proper title and description tags.

2. catash

catash
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The title tag can be up to 70 characters long and the meta description tag can be up to 160 characters.

3. sophieperrone

sophieperrone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is good practice to limit your title and description in defined char limits but it is more important to write them properly as keyword rich title and description will no more helpful in organic ranking. Some tike Google automatically fetch the title and description from website content.

I strongly recommend writing catchy title and description of your page that can directly impact the CTR of your search listing.

4. larryfinch

larryfinch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The shorter title tag is, the better SEO effect is.

5. nashir

nashir
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Title characters should be 60 and Description characters should be 150.

6. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think don't use many keywords in your title tag that must be simple and short. Description you may have to get from any writer which is professional in writing.

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Printingray's first point is a good one. Do not try to stuff every keyword into your Title Tag, one or two that are related to the page's content should be enough. However, I disagree that you need a professional write your Description. All you need to do is describe your page, again using only one or two keywords related to the content. Do NOT use your description to list a bunch of keywords.

8. rajesh

rajesh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

An ideal title tag should not be more than 60 characters. After 62-63 characters, Google shows "...".
    For example : If your title tag is "TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-" , Google will show it as "TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-TITLE-TITLE..."
    Therefore, after 60 characters, all the keywords become least important. So, always put the important keywords first and then the less important ones. Keep your title tag with maximum 60 characters.
    In meta description, limit the size with 160-165 characters.

9. merlynwall

merlynwall
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I usually don't think about keywords when crafting my titles but interesting enough for the users to click.

10. crater

crater
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe it is 60 for title tag and 150 for description tag.

11. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Okay, let me give you some tip:

Title should be 60-70 characters long. Keyword to the left, and then other compelling words and the name of your website or brands

For the description, you should make it 140-150 characters long. Make it more compelling by starting out with a verb. Why? That way you could make your description more interesting and can lure a good click-through rate. Make sure that you set your target users and what they will gain from your website. All in 140-150 characters.

Let me give you my example:

<title>Pest Control Company in the Philippines - Pixacompany.com</title>

<meta name="Description" content="Eliminate pests in your home and live a pest-free and happy life with Pixa Company's high-standard pest control services in the Philippines">

the title is 57 characters. It will not affect your site if you have short or long title. But making a good title will encourage users to click through your website upon seeing on the search result.

The description is 139 characters long. As you can see, I've included one keyword (pest control services) and started out with a verb. Starting with a verb mostly defines what your services can do or what could be your customers do through your services.

And observe carefully, I've provided the things that your customers could get. Don't forget to mention your company or business or website's name on your description.

So there you go, I hope that helps. But remember, it's not a general tip. That's only based on my experience. You can still try out your own.

Cheers,
    Eureka

• Like Like x 1
  12. schumannrober

schumannrober
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think 70 characters long and the meta description tag can be up to 160 characters.

13. arindamdutta16

arindamdutta16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Use your main keywords in the title tags which describe more your business services and products effectively.Title should be around the 70 words and the description should be around 150 words.

14. mankarki

mankarki
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Title should be up 40 character and meta description should be less than 130 character.

15. abhirampathak3

abhirampathak3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Up to 70 character in title tag and up to 130 character in description tag you can use.