What is ROR?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Mark Jackson, May 11, 2011.

1. Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Buddies;

ROR (Resources of a Resource) is a XML format for describing any object of your content in a generic fashion, so any search engine can better understand that content.By default ROR information is stored in a ROR file called ror.xml placed in your website's main directory. (e.g. http://www.abc.com/ror.xml)

ROR can contain information like -contact, address, feeds, articles, products, images, events, etc.

Why you need ROR file for your website?

Confused ROR file allows the search engines "spider" to quickly identify all the content and attributes of the website.

So all you have to do is make ROR file using following tools and upload it in your website's main directory.

Tool For ROR:

1- http://www.increased-online-traffic....rgenerator.php
    2- http://www.addme.com/ror-sitemap-generator.htm

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Mark, how does an ROR file compare to a sitemap?

3. Nichol

Nichol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was looking for the answer to this question. Thanks a lot for the information.:)

4. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here's a good comparison of the various sitemap types that explains it better than I could, though it is outdated now.

The most relevant section...

For the vast majority of sites, I can't see any reason not to remain with the supported and expected XML sitemap. ROR's do provide more flexibility (apparently? honestly, I've never used one or even seen one being used), but as far as I'm aware they're not supported and becoming less and less common (I haven't seen a reference to them in a few years) and were never common to begin with.

Just looking at the entry on wikipedia (which bares a striking resemblance to this thread, please do reference rather than duplicate - I'd suggest closing the thread but I'd actually love to see if anyone has further information on the topic as it's one I'm not familiar with), you can see it's not a very active topic and very little information is referenced for them.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the explanation Paul, as you suggest we should stick with the standard xml sitemaps and not worry about ROR.

6. SSLMatrix

SSLMatrix
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dear,

Before read this post i never heard about ROR so thank for this useful information.

7. Nill Smith

Nill Smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@PaulPinnacle- Nice information sharing dude. You make it so easy to understand about this link.

8. lizatailor23

lizatailor23
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Re:

Thanks for the nice and helpful information.

9. DaveCain

DaveCain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

10. jamaica

jamaica
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ruby on Rails, often shortened to Rails or RoR, is an open source web application framework for the Ruby programming language.

11. Ken Peterson

Ken Peterson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow great post.It will be very useful for me.Thanks.

12. hostgrant

hostgrant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The ROR format covers WAY more than just sitemaps... I talk it up on my ROR Sitemap page, but in short it is an XML variant, like RSS, that allows you to list URLs (sitemap), products (ROR product feed), Articles (ROR article feed), company bio's, events calendars, and anything else you may want to pass along to the world.

The "FULL" ROR format allows for a central file (ror.xml) to point to other ROR files (sitemap, product feed, article feed,....). If you only have one ROR file (sitemap), you can simply use ror.xml to list your URLs