what is PageRank sculpting??

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by moverspacker, May 26, 2011.

1. moverspacker

moverspacker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wants to know about PageRank sculpting. can you plz help me anyone:confused:

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Matt Cutts from Google says the following;
    Based on what he says, I wouldn't spend too much time on it.

3. lizatailor23

lizatailor23
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Re:

pagerank sculpting is a method that web developers use to manage how page rank flows through their web site. When you look at any web site, you will find a large number of content web pages that are important and need to be indexed by search engines.

4. Nill Smith

Nill Smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is totally new to me. Today I heard about PageRank Evaporation as same as PR sculpting. Does anyone elaborate for us what is this two mystery in PageRank.

5. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pagerank sculpting is a useful way of ensuring page rank is attributed to your selling pages and not displaced across pages you don't want to rank for.

Matt Cutts is giving the Google answer, but in reality if you make your site content rich and channel page rank at your best pages, what's the problem?

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Perhaps focusing your visitors' attention to the most important pages on your site will automatically "sculpt" your page rank to those pages? In other words, hopefully this is a case where doing what's best for your visitors and your site will coincide with what's best for the site's SEO.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exactly right Fergal.

In the old days, PR sculpting generally referred to nofollowing of less important pages (privacy statement, terms and conditions, etc.) to try and control/manipulate where the authority flowed within a site and prevent it going to the non monetised/converting/ranking pages. As a result, the implementation of nofollow changed (at least officially, there's still some debate in the area and to what impact nofollowing pages does have) to counteract this unintended result. The official line at the moment means that nofollowed links are still taken into account when calculating the dispersion of authority, but rather than passing PR to these pages it simply evaporates (hopefully that answers your query Click SSL, if not say and I'll see if I can expand on it and clarify further).

Modern PR sculpting (for want of a better term) is more focused on directing users to the most relevant or important pages than it is on controlling the crawling/spidering of a site (e.g. the old 'nofollow' method was invisible to users, it was purely for the search engines which is counter productive in terms of the search engine aims). Now, 'sculpting' is more an attempt at ensuring you're directing the users in the right areas which will lead to the spiders viewing the site in a similar manner. No two links on a page are equal, so how and where you link to a page will have an impact on how it is viewed by both users and spiders. Including a link in a prominent position in the body of the page will result in far more attention and the likeliness of a user following that link, whereas a link placed in a boiler plate footer will have far less attention and is less likely to be clicked, so the two are treated differently when it comes to the dispersion of PageRank. PR can still be controlled and users directed to the most relevant pages, it's just a question of it being done naturally (in terms of the design/layout of a page, positioning of the links and having a logical and well structured site architecture) rather than with manipulation of nofollowing links.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ecombiz1

ecombiz1
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

I wouldn’t recommend it, because it isn’t the most effective way to utilize your PageRank. In general, I would let PageRank flow freely within your site. The notion of “PageRank sculpting” has always been a second- or third-order recommendation for us. I would recommend the first-order things to pay attention to are 1) making great content that will attract links in the first place, and 2) choosing a site architecture that makes your site usable/crawlable for humans and search engines alike.
    Source: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/pagerank-sculpting/

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

PageRank Evaporation?