What is Page Rank?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by MasterGreg, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterGreg

MasterGreg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm planning to be a full time blogger and make an earning out of it. I asked a friend about it. He told me:

I understand most of it. And I have read other posts here on BAF about getting more traffic. But I can't understand Page Rank. Is that really important? How can I increase my Page rank?

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your friend is right, But it is not as easy as that to earn full time on blogging. It can cost you blood and sweat. The only thing that your friend is wrong is that he uses terms not easily understandable by newbies.

On-topic:
    According to Google:
    PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important".

Source: http://www.google.com/technology/

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

MasterGreg I'd suggest that you should focus on posting good content and in attracting targeted visitors to your site. I wouldn't really worry too much about Page Rank, it's importance is overrated. Some sites have high page rank, but low traffic and others have low page rank but high traffic. Good content and traffic, is much more important than page rank. You might also find the threads below helpful;

What Is Page Rank?
    Page Rank & Content
    Page rank help

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal is correct Greg. As I say to some of my friends who are blogging:
    "Content is the King!"

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you would like to understand page rank, then better go to Wikipedia - Page Rank, you will get the details about page rank

6. AndrewK

AndrewK
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I actually disagree about content being the king. I am the king and my knowledge, experiences and understanding of my topic is what makes me king, they are in a sense my riches. Content is merely the method by which i share my riches with my viewers.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can you explain to us more clearly?

8. Elomelo

Elomelo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pagerank (PR) is of course important. It has direct connection with the availability of your site by search engine. Incoming link from good PR sites is the easiest way to increase it.

9. eddane

eddane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

PageRank is an indicator of how Google values your website. Rankings and traffic are better measures though. Read Seomoz for the best low down on pagerank.

Ed

10. MasterGreg

MasterGreg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for your explanations.
    I will now disregard Page Rank to a lower priority, I will definitely prioritize the contents for my blog.
    And especially, the promotion.

11. manu.kumaar26

manu.kumaar26
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes page rank is very important for every site.

Google measure page rank on back links basis...if i'm right.
    Yes u can make money from ur blog by adding unique content and doing some offpage promotional activities....yes It involves lot of hard work.

12. AndrewK

AndrewK
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sure,

Essentially when it comes to blogging and even websites. The 'king' or most important part of the blog/website is YOU.

YOU should be the authority in your niche, you should have expert skills knowledge and experience that other people want.

You are choosing to share these skills knowledge and experiences with people by making quality content. In return you want these people to follow your mailing list and read your new posts and to endorse and promote you to other people.

Without YOU there is no content therefore you are the king not the content. Even if you outsource the content it is still your reputation your business and your call on any and all decisions and to what content your followers require.

13. jersfred

jersfred
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, PageRank is a Google patented method for measuring page importance or relevance, it ranges from 0 to 10, 10 being the best or the highest. It is a Google link analysis algorithm and should not be mixed up with high rankings. Get it? And no one and nothing can stop you for being on top! Just do the proper way of optimizing your website.

14. Joe Maritez

Joe Maritez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How can you get PR?

15. varundbest

varundbest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well for that you need high pr backlinks, SEO content and some on-site SEO tools to help you out.

16. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

PR is depend on the PR juice, the more PR juice you get, the higher PR you gain. The PR juice is come from the backlink, the backlink will give you different amount of PR juice depend on the quality of the backlink

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Since I got my blog to PR2, I'm just wondering how do I know the number of my backlinks?

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you type the text below into Google's search box, you will find out how many back links Google sees to your site;

You can see the back links to Business Advice Forum here. Note the text entered in the search box, on that page.

To find out how many back links are showing in Yahoo, go to http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com and enter your site details - you may need a free Yahoo account in order to see that page.

19. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes GekiDan, Google generally shows less back links because Google indexes backlinks slower than Yahoo and Google only shows higher quality backlinks. Yahoo shows all back links.

You can get more accurate info from Google concerning back links to your site by using Google webmaster tools - you can only get this info for sites that you own. You will have to provide verification to Google that you own the site, however this is very simple and involves uploading a file that Google gives you, to your site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.