What Is Page Rank?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Sahil, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

2. kguru1979

kguru1979
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you sahil for your valuable article.

But, in your article, you can even include the mathematical concept behind calculation of PR. I have gone through some sites searching for it and found some useful sites which describes the way of calculating Page Rank.

CYBERINDIAN ARTICLE

COMPAR ARTICLE

I found that in those articles, Google page rank is calculated based on the Number of Inbound Links (IBL). More illustrations on calculation of Page Rank is explained in those articles. I hope those will be useful for all here.

3. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Will add that in my new post on it, As the blog is new it doesn't have much articles or blog posts.

Thanks.

4. shmily5660

shmily5660
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Page rank is stands for public relation from which higher page rank will site becomes on the first page of google and you have a great traffic on ur site

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not sure how good you know about PR since i found something might not correct

High PR not necessary to get high traffic from google search but SERP did.

PR dont affect SERP much, you can see many site listed at the first is low PR. It depends on the keywords, keywords density, domain name etc which play more important role

Again, PR dont affect SERP much

Finally, you are not mentioned how to get PR at the end. Make is easy, to get good PR, you need to have quality backlink, that's the only key

6. Elomelo

Elomelo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe page rank is very much important for webmasters and bloggers. So, your article will serve as a good guidance for interested people. Thanks for the information.

7. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Again. PR do not helps much on SERP.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sahil, thanks for sharing this with us. However, when you post a link to an article like this please summarise the main points of the article in your post. Don't just link to it.

9. ptcindonesia

ptcindonesia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the article. It give me better understanding the meaning of page rank and how to get it.

I usually use test my page rank here : http://www.prchecker.info and I test BAF has page rank 2. Congratulations :D

Do you have any better website to test the page rank?

10. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you do not know then, PR really effects SERP the site who are listed in Google and have less PR , I have also explained that. That is because of that keywords do not have competitions.

11. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not true. Dont simply say somthing if you dont really confirm about that. You can use any keyword to search and you sure found some low PR site listed at more front than high PR site.

Example: Forex (this is one of the most competitive keyword). And you found the first listed at the google search engine as below
    1. www.forex.com/ (PR=5)
    2. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_exchange_market (PR=6)
    3. www.fxcm.com/index.jsp (PR=N/A)
    4. www.ac-markets.com/ (PR=5)
    5. www.fxclub.com/(PR=4)
    6. www.babypips.com/ (PR=6)

If you sure you are right, give me any keyword which google list the high PR at the front and low PR at the below, any keyword

12. gptrefback

gptrefback
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks sahil for the wonderful description of the page rank.. mine is 0 but i have optimized my blog now with keywors and other hot words... let's see

13. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

OK, Here.
    Keyword - fight (What we are doing now):)

1. www.googlefight.com/ - PR6
    2. www.ufc.com - PR6
    3. www.fightmagazine.com - PR4

So, What do you think now?

14. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You show only the top three, let me listed down more
    1. www.googlefight.com/ - PR6
    2. www.ufc.com[/url] - PR6
    3. www.fightmagazine.com - PR4
    4.www.explosivefightvideos.com/- PR3
    5. www.metacafe.com/tags/fight/-PR3
    6. www.imdb.com/title/tt0137523/ - PR6
    7.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat - PR5

So, might to explain why imdb.com with PR6 is listed at 6th but explosivefightvideos.com with PR4 listed at the 4th if PR is the key

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

PR does not 100% determine the order in which sites are listed, in the search engine results, for a particular key phrase. A high PR site might rank very well for a particular key phrase, but poorly for another key phrase. Hence, it could appear much lower on the search engine results for the term it ranks poorly for, than a page with a lower PR that ranks very well for the relevant key phrase.

It has to be this way, because otherwise search engine results would lose their relevance. If it wasn't like this, every search you complete on Google would return the exact same results on the home page. I.e. the ten sites with the highest PR, regardless of content.

However, PR does have some influence. If you search for a very competitive key word, most of the sites on the first page will have decent PR. They may not appear in the exact order of their PR, but you won't see many sites with PR3 or less, on the first page of Google, for competitive keyword searches.

By way of example, when I search for "host" in Google it returns one page with PR3 low down on the first page of results. All other first page results are PR5 or higher.

When I search for "business" there is one PR5 on the home page and all other sites are PR7 or above.

"Forex" - one PR4, all other results PR5 or above.

Given that there are far more pages with PR4 or below than pages with PR5 and above, it appears logical to assume that PR does in fact have some influence on whether or not a site appears on the first page of Google.

I'd be interested to hear your views and opinions on this.

16. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The high PR site listed at the front of the SERP not because of their PR, but other factors. The reason to see many high PR site listed at good position because they are good in SEO.

I never say PR doesnt affect the SERP but the affect is very small. The most important factor that affecting the SERP are domain name, keyword density, H1H2....,Anchor text, backlink etc. SERP is involving more than 200 factors and PR is only one of them but not the major

17. Sheraz

Sheraz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

he Google Directory uses a different formula for displaying page rank.

Instead of the familiar 0-10 system used by the Google Toolbar, the Google Directory uses a ranking from 0-7.

Google Directory Page Rank is difficult to work with, because no numbers are displayed. All you get is a green and grey bar.

#17 Sheraz, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2009
  18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Very interesting. I note that the default display order in Google directory is set to "Viewing in Google PageRank order".

19. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google directory use a ranking from 0~7? where you get this information. As i know, no matter blog, website, forum, directory ect, all it rank from 0~10. The only reason is they have no eanough PR juice to acheieve PR10.

By the way, how about dmoz.org? It is directory and it is PR8

20. Sheraz

Sheraz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello...

Actually I m talking about specifically http://www.google.com/dirhp ... The Alexa of the directory is 1 but the page rank is 7. Basically Google Directory Page Rank is difficult to work with, because no numbers are displayed. All you get is a green and grey bar. An excellent article on interpreting that bar is The Handy Dandy Google Page Rank Figurin' Guide. You must read this guide line . . .

#20 Sheraz, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.