What is more rewarding, independent contracting or being hired/employed?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by blissful12, Sep 6, 2012.

1. blissful12

blissful12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Research indicates that an independent contractor is likely to fetch more money as compared to someone who works for a company. In this case, I wish to know those in writing professions, what do you find more rewarding, working independently or for a person/writing firm?

2. TheSkip

TheSkip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you mean by a "writing" firm?

3. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nobody wants to be hired/employed if they can do work solely.If we get paid for what we do in time basis it won't improve our capacity but it will improve our capacity and pocket if we work on own.

4. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, it could be either. When you are employed and get became a regular employee - you get rewarded with different benefits that you can enjoy while working at a company. You have chances of improving your career and getting into people's businesses, learn and improve better in a company or corporate setting.

When you are an independent contractor, you don't get mostly equal benefits than regular employed people do. You can either be bounded or not by limitations but you have control over your time as it require not the time spent on work but the work done during that time you spent. Also, income might be lower.

5. NormanAvila

NormanAvila
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Actually I am glad you've put it out like this. This is really something that should be discussed!

In my opinion, it's more of a sharp two-edged knife.
    As others says, people would rather work on their own, independently. The only problem with that is time.
    Can you simply imagine the time managers, directors, leaders need to solve all of their business issues?
    All those phone calls, all those meetings, all the running, all the contracts ... it may seem easy when you're not the one
    who is doing all of that, but trust me: it's complicated.

Of course I totally agree that MOST OF THE TIME it's better from the financial aspect. I say most of the time, because some working positions are so well-paid that you would be a real fool to abandon such a workplace. Never forget that generally in a workplace you'll fall into a routine which means you won't put in too much efforts in doing your daily tasks (after you've got used to the tasks of course). Also think of how happy would a lot of money make you if you'd work 14-20 hours per day and would have no time for yourself, for friends and family.

So I'd conclude: independent contracting is good as long as you can keep your inner and outer balance, not only in business, but in personal life as well.
    Working for others is always the same, needs no further explanation because we all know what it means.

What do you guys think?

Best regards,
    Norm

6. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Writing independently. It feels a lot better to have what you worked for yourself.

7. blissful12

blissful12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Am referring to being employed by a firm that looks for writers such as Demandstudio. or Skyword ...!

8. blissful12

blissful12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

TheSkip, Am referring to being employed by a firm that looks for writers such as Demandstudio. or Skyword ...!

Otherwise, I understand that there are too many sides to the issue in that there is one who will feel more secure in formal employment than in self-employment and vice versa. On the other hand, there are a number of testimonials from people who feel more rewarded as independent contractors than when they were under an employment agency.

The key difference is that as an independent contractor you enter into agreements based on what you think is best for you as an individual or a firm while under employment you have to work within the precincts of an organization's hiring policies. Sadly, the start off for anyone who feels like getting into independent contracting is little bit rough but you can bet there is nothing as beautiful as being your own manager and in agreement with Norm, it is all about balancing your time!

9. lwonnaco

lwonnaco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I work for someone else at $30 per hour and they pay my insurances, match a 401(k) and give me paid time off, I'm actually earning $35 per hour.
    If I work for myself as a contractor, I earn $50 per hour, yet pay insurances and my IRA and time off which yields me right around $18 per hour.
    As an employee for someone else my work is recognized, appreciated and rewarded not just in $$, but in commissions, perks and recognition.
    Working for myself brings a wildly ferocious satisfaction of effort, but at times the crushing stress to succeed makes me hide under the bed.
    What is rewarding is different for each one of us.

10. kennyschwimmer

kennyschwimmer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agree with you mark. I would opt for a salaried income as there are high chances for me to get rewarded for my good work and also I need not going out hunting for a new business everytime.

11. jasaseoco

jasaseoco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great post i am animation designer and Kasra Design is a animation company and provide explainer video, video commercial production, animated product demo, animations, and many more.

12. blissful12

blissful12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi people am really really working on this forum ... this is not to discourage employment for freelance writers but rather to front an issue that seems to be a constant "teaser" to writing professionals. I found this link a bit sad and that is why I still wonder whether independent freelancing is a "light bulb" or a 50-50 shot (that is if you get lucky you are one step to being a "thousandnaire :D". http://www.school-for-champions.com/techwriting/salaries_of_technical_writers.htm and http://www.writersua.com/surveys/salary12/index.html

13. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I think that free-lancing is almost always going to be more rewarding from a personal standpoint because most people like the relatively greater freedom it brings.

However, for many people it is going to be less rewarding financially because they lack the necessary business skills to effectively bring in the business and collect for their efforts.

For some people, a happy medium is to work full time but do a little freelance work on the side. If the business is there and you feel like taking it, you can do so, and if the business is not there or is not something you want to take on, you can pass it up knowing that you have your income from your real job.

• Like Like x 1
  14. even

even
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of the advantages of having a contractor is they have contacts, or clients lined up for you.

15. blissful12

blissful12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Attorney, :eyebrow: mmmh, got me thinking.... I love this thing called "Freedom" n very obsessed to a level I CRINGE when I see work or a post that may need me to answer to someone at some point. Anyway, the real thing is getting a good source of income in the long run, so my real argument has been, if all companies right from small to the franchising ones started from somewhere then maybe I need employment only that I need to be the one to do it. I could be biased on this but what if I'm the one who needs to be employing professionals and not looking for jobs?:eyebrow: mmh?