What is more important: Work or Education?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by TimeRider, May 7, 2009.

1. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I have heard about this many times in Debate competition or any other competitions or question in school's exam. Which is more important " Work or Education "? Is Education something that will work? What If you don't get work after getting quality education? I have seen many qualified educated person struggling for work.

Also a question, " Is it okay to stop study after +2 ( High School ) completion and go to work and earn or still continue to study? Which you think is better?

I want to know what BAF members think about this.

• Like Like x 1
    #1 TimeRider, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A lot depends on the individual. Someone who is skilled with their hands and is interested in a trade, say carpentry may be better leaving education and getting practical experience (provided of course that they can get a job). Whereas, a person who is more academically inclined and wishes to pursue a career in law or medicine could benefit greatly from staying in education for quite some time.

It also depends on the economy. Ireland has just gone through a boom to bust scenario in the construction industry. When the industry was booming a lot of people left education early to work in the industry. Unfortunately a lot of them are now being made redundant, they are skilled in the construction trades but there are very few jobs for them now and they don't have an education to back them up. However, many of them could have the opportunity to return to education, now that the economy is slower.

Unfortunately the same applies to students just finishing college now - there are not many jobs available to them. As a result, more of them are continuing their education for longer and studying for Masters and PHDs.

Are you asking this question out of general interest devilbatista, or are you considering your own situation?

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my honest opinion, education and work are both as important. I think that one cannot go without the other. I've met some people who are highly educated and might even be geniuses but are not working. On the other hand, there are also a majority of people who are working but has stopped learning and improving themselves.

With that said, it is not education or work alone that determines if we're gonna be successful or not. It is working while continuing to learn, having good working attitude, determination and a little bit of luck that determines our success.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Whatever lands you a paycheck in your bank account at the end of the day is what matters. It's difficult to get hired without an education in a lot of industries but that doesn't mean that you're unemployable without one. You just need to do that much more to prove yourself than those with a piece of paper if you're competing with them.

I'd hire someone with no qualifications who showed keenness, had a good work ethic, wanted to learn and was genuinely interested in helping people around them just for the sake of it. I'd not hire someone that thought the world owed them a living because they had qualifications, with a "what's in it for me" attitude. Know-it-all's need not apply.

You can train almost anyone in almost any job. What you can't train them to do is be a decent human being. That is what you should be looking for when you hire first and foremost, imho.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It is important not to underestimate what we learn and the experience we gain while working. We can learn a lot of stuff in the real world of the work place, that cannot be taught in the classroom. Plus there are lots of part time courses around, for those who want to continue their education whilst at work and engage in a process of lifelong learning.

6. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know Education and Work are both useful. But Work is something that helps you to earn your living. And Education too, is something that is needed everywhere. It helps you to work or get a job. So, they are like 2 sides of a coin.

But in some countries, you can't just get job by getting higher education Because there is problem of unemployment. In such case, I think one should try to get a job as soon as possible.

Yeah Fergal, I was regarding this questions to the countries where there is problem of unemployment due to high population and others and skilled manpower don't get job. So, in this situation Work is something that is needed to earn their living more than education. Getting higher education would not be that profitable at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes it's true that many people are forced into a position where they cannot continue their education as long as they'd like, because they need to start earning a living. Some need to work full time and others can get by and finance their education with a part time job.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have to agree that there are circumstances that makes students quit school and work. They might be supporting their brothers or sisters so that they can go to school. They are needed to earn a living and cannot continue their education anymore. In these circumstances, there's no question about it that work would then be more important than education because you no longer have an option.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Or perhaps get a good education and then a job abroad that allows them to send money home. Irish people did it for decades, working in the UK and the US.

I'm not saying that people should do this and I don't mean to suggest that emigration is an attractive or easy option but it is an option nonetheless.

10. msaadw21

msaadw21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Education is the first.

11. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe,

What is more important?

- You study or are educated to get high ranking/quality jobs/works. So, education comes first to get work. Because if you're not educated, you won't get jobs. That's true!

12. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have pinched out a good point & i agree with u but some unfortunate people who can't afford education.. They have got 2 choices,

1. to go to school 7 spend money
    2. to go to work & earn money

Due to poverty & lack in social welfare trust, they don't get education ..

Another thing is that it have been proved that there are some in-born genius too who haven't even passed their high school though they have got more knowledge then other seniors. This is a link to one of the in-born genius from India..

13. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, it's right that education helps us to get better job. But there are some works that doesn't need education. They can be learned by experience or elders or others.

I agree with you kingmurtaza196, there are in-born genius because Man has discovered various things like music, languages. Those persons who discovered these were in-born genius. They had no education to discover music or language but they did it with their inner talent.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It would be great to be born with that level of intelligence. However, the most important thing is to make the most of what you have. Einstein was considered to be a slow learner in his first few years at school. However, he learned how to use the brain he had to achieve amazing results.

There are also countless examples of people born with amazing talents who fail to realize these talents and make successful lives for themselves. How you use it, is more important than what you've got.

15. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This could be quote of the month..

Everyone have got a talent in them.. It depend on the person that how he recognize it ,brings it out & show them to everyone. I guess we are getting away with the topic :)

So, the conclusion is that Education is more important but in some cases WORK [Earning money] comes first.. Some are in-born genius so they don't need any education..

16. Moonpeach

Moonpeach
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would defently say education. Please in the real world you can just go up to a company and say Can i have a job... They would have to give you a interview and they would want to see what qualifications you have and what you dont have. If you dont have any qualifications you are going to have a very slim chance of anyone hiring you. So Education is of most importance so that you can learn of neccesary thing for life and also so that you GCSE's and what not. The more of them you have the better your future to me honest in my words

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

They might give you an interview, but not necessarily, they probably wouldn't give you an interview if they didn't have any vacancies or if they felt you had not gone through the right channels to apply for a vacancy they have.

18. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your are right , Moonpeach :) ! No one would hire a person who haven't got any qualification. I would like to share something very strange with u guys. Here in Pakistan, 1 could easily get a fake degree . They just have to pay around 300 USD for a fake qualified degree. So, nowadays people prefer hiring a person who have the ability to do work. They don't see how high qualified degree the person have.

I would say that a person should have ability & knowledge to do the work rather then high-fi qualified degrees .

Thanks

19. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that its the time we should decide what we mean by Education or Educated... we should define it in terms of level i.e. grade wise or school wise or college wise.., knowledge wise, skill wise etc..

Education in fact is much broader term..We can not simply say that a person is educated or not because he has not gone to college, or is not a graduate..
    A basic level of education is necessary but high level is a choice....as evident from discussion in this thread too

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Unfortunately fake degrees are a problem in many countries. Any astute employer who is hiring someone based on an academic qualification should make a quick phone call to the college to verify the authenticity of the qualification.