What is linux? How is it different from windows OS?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by Eminenz CW, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Eminenz CW

Eminenz CW
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is linux OS? What is it used for? What are its advantages and disadvantages?

2. shymajones

shymajones
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

If you want an OS that doesn't chauffeur you around, but hands you the keys, puts you in the driver's seat, and expects you to know what to do: Get Linux. You'll have to devote some time to learning how to use it, but once you've done so, you'll have an OS that you can make sit up and dance.

If you really just want Windows without the malware and security issues: Read up on good security practices; install a good firewall, malware-detector, and anti-virus; replace IE with a more secure browser; and keep yourself up-to-date with security updates. There are people out there (myself included) who've used Windows since 3.1 days right through to XP without ever being infected with a virus or malware: you can do it too. Don't get Linux: It will fail miserably at being what you want it to be.

• Like Like x 1
  3. angelsharma

angelsharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

linux is free...windows os are not free.

4. spyindiatom

spyindiatom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux is more user friendly than windows but unfortunately most of the people are not familiar with linux , thats the problem.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've never used Linux, but I was under the impression that Linux required more technical knowledge on the part of the user than Windows, am I wrong in that?

6. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If working from command line or running a Linux OS for a production server then yes. However, you can run a GUI over certain linux distros and use it in the same way as you would a Windows computer. An example would be Ubuntu Desktop.

• Like Like x 1
  7. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux doesn't require advance skills actually. If you have been using windows I'm sure you can use Linux because it also has desktop environment. Ubuntu by far is the easiest if you wanna try using Linux. Ubuntu has software package system that all you need is to turn on the program and you can then search which software or you search a software by keywords and install.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JacksonHuston

JacksonHuston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux is not popular! :)

9. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually they are popular. In fact Androids are base on linux which are now used by google and apple.

10. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe not very popular among home users but very popular in the tech community and extremely popular for running Web servers. As of 2011 server market share for Linux based systems is around 64%.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks GeekGhost and ownedbox, I may try using Ubuntu some time in the future.

12. sadiyakhan

sadiyakhan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The term Linux properly refers to simply the kernel of the software system. However, in fashionable formulation ‘Linux’ is employed to sit down with an entire Linux Distribution which has interface elements and lots of alternative utilities, several of that are from the antelope Project. Android, as an example additionally uses the Linux kernel however includes completely different elements from most desktop Linux distributions.

The Linux kernel was originally developed as a free kernel for Intel x86-based personal computers. it's since been ported to a lot of hardware platforms than the other kernel. Linux system primarily based software systems are the leading operating system kind on servers and alternative massive iron systems like mainframe computers and supercomputers: quite ninetieth of today's five hundred quickest supercomputers run some variant of Linux, together with the ten quickest. Linux additionally runs on embedded systems like mobile phones, pill computers, network routers

• Like Like x 1
  13. Quiver

Quiver
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux is open source and Microsoft windows is not.
    You can do pretty much what you want with Linux.
    You can modify the code and find helpful tutorials.
    With windows you can use it. You can't modify it. ;)

14. mobilejammer

mobilejammer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i never use Linux.

15. deepikapathania

deepikapathania
    uix_expand uix_collapse

ya i also never use Linux .....but the major difference is Linux is based on online peer support and in other case, Windows based on desktop Support.

16. eelizasanchez121

eelizasanchez121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux is an open source operating system it is free but not a very user friendly operating system. But it is much more secure than Windows.

17. expertali

expertali
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i never use linux

18. Ashwani Kataria

Ashwani Kataria
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Linux is Open Source Software.
    Working On Directory File System.
    Linux is Scalable.
    Linux is more Secure and Versatile than Windows.
    Draback is that there are different Linux Distributions like Redhat, Fedora, SUSE etc.

19. Ashwani Kataria

Ashwani Kataria
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another major difference in Windows Operating System and Linux is that Linux is command based where as windows provide graphical user interface which is more user friendly

20. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most Linux system today already have GUI. unless you purposely don't want GUI. With one command you can easily take out that desktop environment and just use the command line interface to circumvent the system but this won't be good for beginners. CLI are mostly used by professionals managing servers and big LAN. I've tried this myself years ago with just lynx browser to see webpages.