What is Launch Rock?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by danemedel, Dec 17, 2012.

1. danemedel

danemedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you heard the word Launch Rock, what is the first thing that comes in your mind? What is you own understanding?

2. dgeneschi

dgeneschi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Launch Rock is a service for building "coming soon"-type landing pages. I've watched this company pretty much from its inception, which techcrunch hailed as a sure sign that we were in a tech bubble. I'm personally very turned off by Launch Rock landing pages and never supply my email to them, because my feeling is that if you are not technically adept enough to put together a simple landing page with an email form and google analytics snippet, you stand no chance of building a product of much value. However, if your audience is less technical and/or your product is not a software product, that point isn't really relevant (and it's a personal bias, so make what you will of it).

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've seen Launch Rock coming soon pages on a number of sites and have quite liked them.

That's an interesting point and I can see where you are coming from. I suppose it depends on the type of site. To put together a landing page like you are talking about would require some knowledge of PHP and MySQL or similar technologies. Not all webmasters have or need those skills. For example, someone starting a new blog or forum wouldn't necessarily need those skills to run a successful site and they may use something like Launch Rock prior to launch. Personally I don't see anything wrong with that and have happily given my email address to some of them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dgeneschi

dgeneschi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree on that point. The use case you speak of falls under what I meant by "not a software product" -- as in not an application being built from the ground up. All of the Launch Rock pages I've been sent to were for (alleged) bona fide tech startups. A Launch Rock page for something like a community site or blog (where the tech is not the focal point and it rarely makes sense to build it from the ground up anyhow) is perfectly appropriate. And in fact, my sentiments concerning even the other use case probably have me in a minority (I'm sure many people wouldn't notice or care).

• Like Like x 1
  5. jaysh4922

jaysh4922
    uix_expand uix_collapse

LaunchRock is a free web-based application that helps us set up a social site page in minutes, then share our page and start gather emails,LaunchRock helps us understand our potential customers and allows us to see useful information on user signups, site traffic...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the clarification dgeneschi, I agree with you, it is difficult to understand why the creator of a software product or application would need a service like this and it would raise questions as to their technical ability.

7. syed2011

syed2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

LaunchRock helps in building the relationship with the customers and getting the audience quickly for the products.

• Like Like x 1
  8. danemedel

danemedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@dgeneschi

I understand your point, but how come there are still availing this launch rock?