What Is Keyword Stemming?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by borgninestallone, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. borgninestallone

borgninestallone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keyword stemming is the process of finding out the root word from the search query. A query having the word “ playful” would be broken down to the word “play” with the help of stemming algorithm. The search results returned would be having the word ” play” in it.

How does keyword stemming helps in SEO?

2. sophieperrone

sophieperrone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Like Like x 1
  3. larryfinch

larryfinch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have never heared about the term "Keyword Stemming", as you have mentioned it, I will do some search work to find the answers

4. merlynwall

merlynwall
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Stemming means simply adding prefix, suffix, word and phrases to form a new one. I'm not sure how it differs to long tail keywords.

5. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think stemming is to get the name of the keywords in the search by adding some words only. This is beneficial for branding.

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

This defintion of "keyword stemming" comes from brickmarketing.com:

"The process of keyword stemming involves taking a basic but popular keyword pertaining to a particular website and adding a prefix, suffix, or pluralization to make the keyword into a new word."

For example, take a look at printingray's signature. "custom sticker" is one keyword he could be pursuing. The keyword in his signature, however, is "custom stickers", adding an "s" to the word "sticker". That is keyword stemming. To answer merlynwall's question, if printingray had added a word to the phrase, making it, for example, "custom flower stickers", that is a long tail keyword, where the original keyword did not change, but an additional word was added to it.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keyword stemming is when variations of a keyword are used, or keywords stemming from one main word are used in search engine optimization.

8. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks joerroxx. Its the first time I've heard of it. but I think I have been doing it for a long time without knowing its name :D

9. arindamdutta16

arindamdutta16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keyword stemming is a useful tool for web pages and search engine optimization. The process of keyword stemming involves taking a basic but popular keyword pertaining to a particular website and adding a prefix, suffix, or pluralization to make the keyword into a new word.

10. micheal.burns1

micheal.burns1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keyword stemming helps the crawler to suggest that your page is related to 'XYZ' topic. Thus, instead of stuffing the same keyword we can make you os keyword stemming to present the same idea.

11. sophieperrone

sophieperrone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you very much for providing detailed outline on Keyword Stemming,

I just did some research in terms of Google search competition for the keywords "custom sticker" and "custom stickers" and found very huge difference in search competition. So;if we work for Custom Stickers keyword, we can get some help in gaining search engine ranks for custom sticker keyword right?

12. amitmax

amitmax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keyword stemming has become very useful specially after penguin update.As we know,keywords variation is very useful and we can do it in our link building while using keyword stemming technique.

13. sophieperrone

sophieperrone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is true but we have to make sure that the keywords we are targeting should bring some visitors too !!

14. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

It could help, but getting ranked highly for one keyword does not necessarily mean you will get the same or better ranking for the other. To get the best ranking for both keywords, the best thing to do would be to actively pursue them both.

15. pattinsonbvs

pattinsonbvs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keyword stemming is a useful tool for web pages and search engine optimization. The process of keyword stemming involves taking a basic but popular keyword pertaining to a particular website and adding a prefix, suffix, or pluralization to make the keyword into a new word. This particular process allows a website to expand upon the number of variable options, which can help a website get more traffic. Words that are a product of keyword stemming can expand in either direction, or even add words to the phrase, making the possibilities limitless.

16. jaysh4922

jaysh4922
    uix_expand uix_collapse

its generating several new words from a single keyword,,very simple technique,so why should i use keyword stemming..
    thanks Sanjay

17. kishoreshere

kishoreshere
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think stemming is to get the name of the keywords in the search by adding some words in before or after to the keywords

18. Nicolemarx

Nicolemarx
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The process of keyword stemming is the growth of one popular keyword phrase that is associated to your website article by using suffixes, prefixes or adding pluralization, which is another way of making one keyword phrase into many additional new words. Keyword steaming is one important element in a search engine optimization tactic. This SEO may be required for getting higher rankings and also for increasing the link popularity.

19. jaysh4922

jaysh4922
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well as far as i know about this.A process of keyword stemming is the growth of one popular keyword phrase that is related to your website article by using suffixes, prefixes or adding pluralization,an another way of making one keyword phrase into many additional new words.

20. mkenneth

mkenneth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keyword stemming is very useful for seo. Keyword stemming is the process of reducing each word to its stem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.