What is important - traffic or Google ranking?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by abhirampathak3, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abhirampathak3

abhirampathak3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is important for a website more traffic or Google ranking?

2. lynxus

lynxus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A bit of both really.

I would suspect Ranking is better because whats the point in traffic not coming from a targeted source?

if you get organics from a search engine then surely you have more chance in a conversion?

3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmmm.well in a way aim of google ranking is to increase chance of more traffic only...so I will vote for traffic...

4. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Traffic. The site will be useless even if it ranks yet without traffic.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Although scifi and ownedbox both have good points, lynxus is closer to a very important distinction - targeted traffic is what you are looking for. So, if you get your website ranked for phrases that are searched by people interested in your product or service, who are more likely to buy. So, Google ranking for high-conversion, high-traffic phrases will bring the type of traffic you need. To paraphrase ownedbox's post "Traffic will be useless if the site ranks yet without conversions".

6. tuntravel

tuntravel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google raking is better than traffic

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Why? What makes the Google ranking better? Does it make a difference where a website is ranked? I was going to delete your post as too short, but I noticed you just joined, so I thought I would encourage you to expand upon your thought, to make your post more valuable to the forum, and any members who might read the threads you post in. By the way, welcome to the forum - if there is anything I can do to help you become a valued member of the forum, let me know.

8. Eric Wolfe

Eric Wolfe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The relationship between traffic and ranking is that they are INTERDEPENDENT. Here's how:

Your TRAFFIC is all of the people who come to your site. In order to come to your site, they have to follow a link there from SOMEWHERE, or else type your URL into their page (far less common, unless your advertising campaign is strictly offline, ie TV, radio, and print). If your URL is only typed in, you won't be spidered by google or any other search engines, and your RANKING is going to suck. In that case, you are missing out on a lot of traffic, because people who search for things your website could be offering, won't find you. You'll be buried in all your competition, because your low ranking (or lack of a listing) will keep you at the back of the results, if you're in them at all.

In order to get good rankings, other sites have to link to yours, and you have to provide content that matches the keywords people are searching for with good SEO practices. It also helps if you do a little keyword research and pick phrases with a level of competition appropriate to the existing size and reputation of your business. If you're small, and just starting out, find some keywords that have good search volume, and low competition. If you're enormous and well-respected in your field already, you can get good results on more competitive search terms.

Here's the crux of the matter: More traffic drives a higher ranking, and a higher ranking delivers more traffic. Search engines (especially google) are pretty savvy in determining your traffic and your relevancy for search terms. They like unique content, and they like when a lot of other sites link to your page, and this happens automatically when you provide good, useful content in your sector, because people will want to share your content.

THEREFORE, good content trumps traffic and ranking, because it is the ultimate source of both. Combine good content with a good strategy for sharing your content with the users who are interested in it, and the traffic and the rankings will follow.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jayanta01

jayanta01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Both are important for your site. Good traffic helps to improve Google ranking.

10. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Both are important and interdependent like eric said.

What good is ranking without traffic. Although if you are ranking on top positions for high searched keywords then traffic is inevitable.

And what good is traffic which does not convert. And if you are not ranking the where does this traffic come from? From referrals and advertisements which are usually paid. How long can you afford that. Not too long i think.

So eventually you need organic traffic and ranking for that.

11. Sheebha

Sheebha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keywords are very important not only as quantity but as quality as well, if you have more keywords in the page title, the headings, the first paragraphs – this counts more that if you have many keywords at the bottom of the page.

12. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it's traffic matters. Traffic means users / customers for your site. But what's the use if it only ranks and you have no use it. You probably want to make something out from your site. You would surely want to earn from your website.

13. amal

amal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think both are equally important side by side.

14. Param

Param
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think both are important. Both are connected each other. It you want to more and quality traffic then you should get top ranking in the search engine.

15. simojohn258

simojohn258
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Both are important but google ranking is more important and to get google traffic we should get rank in our keywords.

16. aaron70

aaron70
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well both are necessary for each other and we can not separate them with each other .
    The main purpose of any website is get more traffic and that can only be possible when your site would be at the top of search engine and on the other hand traffic is also help to get high rank on the search engine .
    Thanks you all for sharing good information.
    Best regards,
    Aaron.

17. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Google ranking is meant to increase traffic,but if there is traffic without google rank its good,but if the page rank is good,its privleged.

18. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Limiting the choices to 'traffic' or 'Google ranking' because neither one should be your goal. Your goal should be conversions (sales or whatever else you want to accomplish). That usually comes with targeted traffic. Random traffic has very little value. You can go to some forums and buy thousands of visits for a few dollars, but if those people are clicking on a link to your site just to make a penny and will quickly leave to click on another site, all that does is put a burden on your server.

Likewise, Google ranking may be valuable if it relates to a heavily searched keyword that is relevant to your site. If it the ranking is for a low-volume term or one that does not bring relevant traffic to your site, the ranking will have little value for you.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OlegLola

OlegLola
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with above posts. You don't need to specify what is more important – you need to work and to improve both aspects, as they stands together.

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The original question appears to have been answered sufficiently. Closing thread, if you would like it re-opened, please send me a PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.