What is Duplicate Content and Why is it Bad?

Discussion in 'Content Marketing' started by schumannrober, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schumannrober

schumannrober
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi friends..
    Please tell me that What is Duplicate Content and Why is it Bad?

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Duplicate content is a content that is already seen from a different site or page.
    It's bad because it's a copied content, and you know, Google only likes quality and original content. And copied content is not a quality one...

• Like Like x 1
  3. smartkathy

smartkathy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Duplicate content means same types of contents and copy content which creates spam in web.

4. SSLMatrix

SSLMatrix
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do agree with GekiDan, Don't use duplicate content to rank well in Google search.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, you won't really, really, really rank well on doing this.

6. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just imagine, when you search something the first 100 query is refer to same content, what you going to do? you surely lose interest to continue with Google search and move to others search engine.

If you spend 100 hours to produce an analysis or book, then someone simply copy the content within few click, and the person get all revenue from affiliate marketing and sponsorship, what you going to do? You surely not happy right, because that is your hard work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. zeropid

zeropid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nowadays google is fighting well against duplicate content and everyone should stay away from using copypaste :)

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But we can't deny that there are still people doing that..

9. tacticalsales

tacticalsales
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We were having a java script error on the website which meant we had over 50,000 duplication errors - once I found the problem and had it corrected we dropped all the duplications and shot up rank by 2 full pages in some instances.

Google have put emphasis on finding the original source too, as long as you have a link back to the original source then the duplications won't be THAT big of a problem - just be sure to mention who and where its from with a direct link back to the source.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kev H

Kev H
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Duplicate content is exactly what it sounds like - the same content published on more than one web-page or website.

Why is it bad? Primarily because Google (and the other search engines) are very good at identifying that the content is not unique. When they see that the Google will determine for itself which it believes is the original, most authoritative, source and use that page/website to display for that content. The others are likely to be ignored completely for that search.

In addition, if a website is deemed to have 'too much' copied content from other websites (ie. is not regarded as the authoritative site for the content) then it is generally believed that Google will penalise the whole site as not worthy of being returned in search results for any terms. Hence the number of forums etc filled with webamsters complaining that their whole website has 'vanished' from Google.

Bottom line: don't plagerise and if you use feeds from suppliers etc then you need to make the rest of the page content as unique as possible.

• Like Like x 2
  11. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's all in a case to case basis folks. You seem to misinterpret the true meaning of duplicate content. What you are already seeing as "duplicate content" right now actually exists as early as 2002 until now. Wikipedia, Amazon, Walmart, and a lot more. Those websites contains lots and lots of duplicate contents. Do they get slapped?! No! It will be a biased concept to think that Google loves them because they exist a long time ago. That's not the case at all.

Since we all know that Google is treating every pages the same based on their guidelines. Should you worry about someone duplicating your contents? What if they make a link back to you?

http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Eureka_Psycrille

Look at my articles. Those are all written by me and most of them got duplicated multiple times. Did I get slapped? Seriously not.

The true duplicate content is that contents that are the same in the same domain. For example: If your website is http://www.mywebsite.com/ and if http://mywebsite.com/ is not permanently redirected to the one that has www. or vice versa, that's called duplicate content. And take note folks, there is no duplicate content penalty. http://www.modtalk.co.uk/article/duplicate-content-the-myth/

So if you have seen your contents copied by other users, don't worry. Go to Google and you can see a post related to duplicate contents. Remember the keyword "DUPLICATE CONTENT FILTER"

• Like Like x 1
  12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm ok with using my posts as a source on their post, but I don't really like to see people copying them word-for-word, even though they have a linkback.
    Maybe that's for another topic.

My question: how can Google find who copied and who's the original?

13. Andhara Angels

Andhara Angels
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Content that is Match with Already published Content is automatically becomes duplicate Content and Google not Allow Such Sites to be placed with their Search ranking for Long .

14. arindamdutta16

arindamdutta16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Anyone who has spent any time browsing search engine optimization blogs and forums will know that duplicate content is often met with a great deal of fear and loathing by many SEO professionals. Often the concept can be treated like a terminal fault for a website, with the slightest hint of content duplication bringing down the iron fist of the search engines quicker than a piano free falling down an elevator shaft.

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But why are they still may sites, that copy from others, that are on the top of the search engine listings?

16. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In addition, duplicate content is also applicable to translate content. If a site translate someone content from other language, or added translate feature to their own site without no follow tag, it can be penalty as well.

http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/022816.html

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Article translation is also a duplicate content? How did that happen?
    (that site doesn't seem to be loading on my side)

18. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well basically because most of the writers/blog owners don't know what's wrong and original writers don't know how to know that their content is copied and how to take down the plagiarized content.

19. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you have any idea on how to take down a Blogger blog? I saw one the other day that copied a bunch of my posts and I want to have them removed. I know how to do one on Wordpress.com blogs, but not on Blogger.

20. jimarmstrong

jimarmstrong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Duplicate Content means a content posted on two different pages like www.domain.com/post1 and www.domain.com/post2 and it will harm your ranking according to Google duplicate content guideline on two different pages.

In order to prevent influence of this duplicate content you can 301 redirect duplicate content to original one or else you can use canonical tag within head of your duplicate page which i have mentioned below

<meta rel="canonical" url="original content URL" />

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.