What is Clocking in SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by joy.linford, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joy.linford

joy.linford
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have heard about clocking many time. I would like to know about clocking.

Is it helpful for SEO?

Can anyone please explain me in detail about Clocking?

Thanks a ton,

2. shivthaver

shivthaver
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cloaking is a Black hat SEO technique done by delivering content based on the IP addresses in which content present to the search engine is different to the user browser.

3. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Joy, its Cloaking we feel. Ws that a typo?
    If yes, then look at this video by Matt Cutts on You Tube. He explains it really crisp and clear.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHtnfOgp65Q

Its showing HTML text to search engines, while showing a page of images or Flash to users. So, you try to cheat the Google bot by showing one and doing something else.
    This is not considered legitimate. It isa Balck hat practice as mentioned by Shivthaver above, and your website will be penalised.

Hope this helps!

4. nldisplays

nldisplays
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cloaking is a search engine optimization (SEO) technique in which the content presented to the search engine spider is different from that presented to the user's browser.

5. ellisthomas86

ellisthomas86
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Literally cloaking is something that has been defined by people here. But one most important thing I would like to throw focus on is that whenever cloaking is being implemented anywhere in any pages, then you are fooling search engine. May not be at first shot you will be able to figure it out but later stage, definitely there would be penalization which would cost you a lot more. And hence that will cost you a lot more. So be careful in what you are doing. That's very important.

6. bmwillsmith

bmwillsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the useful clear explanation about cloaking search engine optimization. Generally i will not suggest black hat or negative s e o methods because they will give us negative effects in the long term. Organic methods like article writing, unique content and good audience is the best way.

7. amywatson

amywatson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cloaking can be defined as black hat as well as just opposite to the google webmasters guidelines technique which misinterpret or mislead the search engines by showing two different pages who look and feel for user is different and for search engines quite different. Also there are chances of getting penalized if someone does cloaking and get caught by Google.

#7 amywatson, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
  8. Melissa Feeney

Melissa Feeney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is Cloaking not Clocking. This technique comes under Black Hat. Do check this thread for more information - http://www.businessadviceforum.com/showthread.php/49696-Cloaking

9. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

This thread is now closed. If you have something new to add, PM me and I'll re-open it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.